What is the best wax?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2003, 10:05 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is the best wax?

I just bought a Nighthawk Black TL and the dealer detailed it prior to my picking it up. The interior is looks great but there are little spider/swirl scratches on the finish. It looks like a bad wax job.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a top quality wax?

Also, any tricks out there to avoid the swirls?

Thanks...
Old 06-20-2003, 10:35 AM
Three Wheelin'

zaino
Old 06-20-2003, 10:58 AM
Dr. TLS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I use Klase. I'm too lazy to buy the 10 different bottles of Zaino and spend hours putting it on. My car still looks like new and I almost never use my windshield wipers in the rain because I put a coat of this stuff on all the glass too. The water just beads and slides right off.
Old 06-20-2003, 11:47 AM
Racer

I have to agree with TL Lover. I was a loyal Mother's customer for about 10 years. Then a buddy of mine picked up some Zaino and I will never go back. This is simply the best stuff out there. And it's not really as complicated as you might think. It's just like a regular wax, but you have to wait a little while for it to cure and dry. But the results are nothing short of amazing! Check out the pics on the site if you need more proof: http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/...ry_Code=PHOTOS
Old 06-20-2003, 12:07 PM
Advanced

thanks for the info regarding zaino. does this system require a motorized buffer?

also, someone recommended Zymol wax. Anyone heard of it? feedback?

thanks...
Old 06-20-2003, 12:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

The only problem with Zaino is the amount of time you have to spend applying all the products. Its great if you dont have yard work, kids, and other things that also take up your time. I use Mothers cleaner wax because I only wax maybe 2x a year because of time constraints.
Old 06-20-2003, 02:02 PM
Racer

zymol is also a good wax, i dunt think it would take as long as zaino...but if you browse around these forums...you'll see that alot of people here prefer using zaino
Old 06-20-2003, 02:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

This is a very easy question for me to answer.
Get the Zaino products & follow the tips & FAQ section on there website.
I have been waxing my HONDA/ACURA cars for over 22yrs.
My 2000TL is Nighthawk Black & I have owned it since late 1999 when I purchased it new. This is my first Black car the others others were all red or burgundy & they were garage kept. The TL is not garage kept. I have used Zaino products for almost 3yrs now. Last summer I did the whole process for the first time & followed it up with a few other coats of Zaino polish. After the 2nd or 3rd coat of Zaino you will be blown away. Also using the Zaino wash & the gloss enhancer spray deepens the shine on your car. The Zaino last along time on the car & keeps it looking great. I have only used good stuff before with my other cars like Meguiars,Mothers Zymol ect. & some of this stuff was not purchased from store. This stuff was the good stuff that you order form mail order catalog. The Zaino is the best stuff that I have used. I have seen for myself the other ACURA TL & CL cars that the owners use the Zaino products on. At the 2nd annual TL/CL meet last year in N.J. they were way over 120 ACURA cars there. Most of all the cars the owners were using the Zaino products. This stuff is in the corvette magazines as many of there owners use it on them. I swear by the Zaino products & its a must for a dark colored car. If you order it I will tell you what you need to get. I just got my new order last week from Zaino & my total for every thing I need was $102.60. This would alos be all you need to get started. The first cleaning process is the hard part. After that its very easy & you will be very happy. Let me know if you wan't to with the Zaino & I will tell you the products you need to get started.
Old 06-20-2003, 02:35 PM
Advanced

Anyone ever try Crystal Guard stuff?
Here is the link to their website: http://crystalguard.com/

Seen it on a g35 forum: http://zdriver.com/forums/showthread...9223#post19223
Old 06-20-2003, 03:31 PM
Intermediate

It depends on the color of your car but you can get a nice shine using Clearkote Vanilla Moose Wax $12 http://www.clearkote.com/orderform.htm. Top it with S100 Wax (available at Harley Davidson stores) $14. And make sure you always use microfiber towels for wiping and drying. Zaino is good too, but difficult to use properly.

For more info try going to autopia.org
Old 06-20-2003, 05:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by mangoboy
It depends on the color of your car but you can get a nice shine using Clearkote Vanilla Moose Wax $12 http://www.clearkote.com/orderform.htm. Top it with S100 Wax (available at Harley Davidson stores) $14. And make sure you always use microfiber towels for wiping and drying. Zaino is good too, but difficult to use properly.

For more info try going to autopia.org
You guys keep saying that Zaino is so hard to use. If you go to the search section of this forum or go to CL.COM forum. You would find that more than half of TL&CL guys use Zaino. The only thing hard about Zaino is the Clay process & thats not bad. All you do is rub the clay over your car to to get off all unseen stuff. The dawn dishwashing process just get off all the old wax for the Zaino polish to go on. Since Zaino is not compatible with other waxes you need to get off all the old wax stuff. Once you do that its very easy & easy to maintain after you polish it the 1st time.
www.zainobros.com
Old 06-20-2003, 05:19 PM
Intermediate

If you follow the recommendation on the Zaino web site it would take forever. But experience has show me that you don't have to spend all that time. Once you have done the dawn and the clay bar it is very easy to use.

I use Zaino and here is how often I use it and my car looks great.
Every 2 months or so I use z2 with the ZFX mixed in (forget the z1 it is not needed if you use the ZFX). Time 45 min max. Every 5-6 months I do z5 to cover up any swirl marks. Time: 45 min max. I use z6 whenever I have the extra time and that only takes about 20 min.
Old 06-20-2003, 05:36 PM
Dr. TLS

Hmmm... I think I didn't get a chance to realize that Zaino could be easy to use. All this thanks to one person each week who posts pics of his shiny car after a good Zaino session and sayin it took him almost half a day.
Old 06-20-2003, 06:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

I just got thru bashing some guy on the CL forum about Zaino. They must be a Troll always starting something up. I swear by this stuff. I put the polish on the optional factory chrome wheels on my TL & it keeps them cleaner longer. It also cuts down on the brake dust dirt on the front wheels. I just wash them with the Zaino Z7 show car wash & they look great. But as I posted on the other forum even Meguiars has a 4 step clay, wash, polish, wax system.
Meguiars just makes other quick step waxes that don't take as long. Mothers has the same thing they make there clay bars to be used with their detailer. Meguiars makes there clay bar to be used with their Quick Detailer product. If you did this it would take about the same time as Zaino. Some people just wan't the easy way of doing things with one step wax products.
Old 06-20-2003, 08:22 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question

I thaugh the clear coat on our car did not need waxing !! Am I wrong ?
Old 06-21-2003, 12:54 PM
Advanced

FTM-1

Thanks for the offer to help. My buddy just gave me a bottle of Zymol. I think I am going to try this before spending over $100.

With Zaino, do you use a orbital style buffer?

Thanks
Old 06-21-2003, 05:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by bassplayer
FTM-1

Thanks for the offer to help. My buddy just gave me a bottle of Zymol. I think I am going to try this before spending over $100.

With Zaino, do you use a orbital style buffer?

Thanks
I use to use Zymol on my 94 ACCORD that I had. The Zymol stuff can be exspensive also they have waxes costing up to $1000. I had the $ 40 container of carnuba wax & still have a very tiny jar of the Detail wax. This is used for parts like spoilers, kits,wings. Many have said not to use Zaino with buffers. What happens is you end up wasting the product.
Old 06-21-2003, 05:28 PM

I'm a Zaino user... For a daily driver Zaino will last longer for better protection....
Old 06-21-2003, 06:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Mr
I'm a Zaino user... For a daily driver Zaino will last longer for better protection....
I agree with you on this Mr .
Old 06-21-2003, 06:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Retiree: Clearcoated cars need waxing/polishing.

Bassplayer: With Zaino you *do not* use an orbital buffer.

Vandy786: If you don't use Zfx with your Z2 or Z5 then you *do* have to wait until the polish "cures." Zfx has cut that time down to about 30 minutes, though. And most of the time Zaino users are posting about the *multiple* coats of Zaino they've applied in that timeframe. Most "waxers" apply only one coat in a day.

All other non-Zaino users: The only complicated thing about Zaino is getting used to the product names. However, once you've gotten over that mental block and procured some Zfx, Z2, Z5, Z6, a claybar, and Z7 -- you'll learn how quick and easy it is to "Zaino" your car and keep it shiny.

Later,

V.
Old 06-21-2003, 08:21 PM
Drifting

Ealge 1 WAX AS U DRY.... love this ****. it does the job and makes my car feel so smooth.
Old 06-21-2003, 08:39 PM
Intermediate

FTM-1 I am not trying to bash zaino, just pointing out that there is a cheaper alternative to a great finish.

Washing, Clay baring, Vanilla Moose Waxing, S100 Waxing is not "one-step" waxing.

There is a guy called scottwax on autopia that has been detailing for 10 years and uses the VM + s100 combo on the NHB TL-s on this page http://www.scottwax.com/Honda_Acura.htm Doesn't look too shabby, right?
Old 06-21-2003, 08:44 PM
Advanced

yeah i must agree zaino all the way! i use it and i'm a girl! i use ZFX with Z2 and Z5...which means i can apply new coats after an hour after being removed! i just zainoed my car on friday 4 coats and 5 in between coats with Z6 the spray gloss enhancer...

here is a thread showing some results for a few waxes

[URL=http://www.nsxsc.com/nsexcitement/waxtest.html[/URL]

zaino comes in first place
cheap zymol comes in second place
expensive zymol comes in third place

the expensive zymol is a disgrace for coming in third place under the cheap zymol.
Old 06-21-2003, 09:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
are the products from meguirs any good?
looking to wax my car for the first time(since i got it), and im a bit tight on cash...
Old 06-23-2003, 08:42 AM
Instructor

How many towels do you guys have???
I use a single seperate towel for each thing. After washing and drying, i Z6, Z2, then Z6 again, then Z2 again, then Z6 again... and that's about 5 towels all gone. I only have two medium sized, one bath and 4 small towels. All fieldcrest. I just noticed you guys talking about applying 5 coats of polish and 6 coats of spray, and damn, that's a LOT of towels!
By the way, i have the fieldcrest, but there's still tons of lint on it, and even though i use the GLoss Spray which is suppose to be anti-static, i still get things clinging to the car. Whats up with that?
Old 06-23-2003, 09:37 AM
Advanced

Originally posted by ChillRobP
How many towels do you guys have???
I use a single seperate towel for each thing. After washing and drying, i Z6, Z2, then Z6 again, then Z2 again, then Z6 again... and that's about 5 towels all gone. I only have two medium sized, one bath and 4 small towels. All fieldcrest. I just noticed you guys talking about applying 5 coats of polish and 6 coats of spray, and damn, that's a LOT of towels!
By the way, i have the fieldcrest, but there's still tons of lint on it, and even though i use the GLoss Spray which is suppose to be anti-static, i still get things clinging to the car. Whats up with that?
are you referring to me? hehe...i'm a girl not a guy anyways yeah i use the big huge beach towel sized ones so i only need 2 towels for removing the zaino...i have 2 microfibre towels medium sized for the spray and in between coats it air dries so when i'm ready to use it again it's dry and ready. i use the california water blade to dry the car and a seperate microfiber to remove excess water.
Old 06-23-2003, 09:59 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by rsx_cutey
are you referring to me? hehe...i'm a girl not a guy anyways yeah i use the big huge beach towel sized ones so i only need 2 towels for removing the zaino...i have 2 microfibre towels medium sized for the spray and in between coats it air dries so when i'm ready to use it again it's dry and ready. i use the california water blade to dry the car and a seperate microfiber to remove excess water.
Haha, you're a girl? are you sure? Okay, yeah, i use a big bath/beach towel for removing the polish, or sometimes just use two medium sized. but after using the gloss spray, the towel gets kinda damp or dirty or i just can't use them again. So i never re-use the same towels... i only use the same towel on the polish cause i can just keep folding it over.
I REALLY need to clay my car though, to make it better. As for wiping off the polish, do i have to go in the same direction as the zaino was applied? (up and down?) or can i just like use circular motions to wipe it all off? just wondering cause sometimes it doesn't come right off and i have to put a little bit of "elbow grease" into it or whatever.
Anyway, How much Zaino is too much? i can usually do a whole car two times with just the ZFX bottle filled up half-way.

-Rob
Old 06-23-2003, 10:28 AM
Advanced

Originally posted by ChillRobP
Haha, you're a girl? are you sure? Okay, yeah, i use a big bath/beach towel for removing the polish, or sometimes just use two medium sized. but after using the gloss spray, the towel gets kinda damp or dirty or i just can't use them again. So i never re-use the same towels... i only use the same towel on the polish cause i can just keep folding it over.
I REALLY need to clay my car though, to make it better. As for wiping off the polish, do i have to go in the same direction as the zaino was applied? (up and down?) or can i just like use circular motions to wipe it all off? just wondering cause sometimes it doesn't come right off and i have to put a little bit of "elbow grease" into it or whatever.
Anyway, How much Zaino is too much? i can usually do a whole car two times with just the ZFX bottle filled up half-way.

-Rob
yes i am really a girl! but yeah i only reuse the same towel because i know my car is clean because i don't wait very long before i apply the spray or zaino. oh and my mistake maybe i should have noted that i cut up my towels for removing the zaino. so i have actually 8 towels.

actually you don't have to take off the zaino the same direction you apply it... this is what i do:

hood - i go from side to side in circles (driver side to passenger side, and yes lots of moving around)

doors - i go up and down in circles

roof - side to side in circles

trunk - side to side in circles

windows - whatever way you want in circles

front and rear bumpers - up and down in circles

with this technique the light reflects off the car differently and makes it more shinier....

as for how much zaino you don't need much since a dime size drop does a door and 2 dime sizes will do a hood...the zfx mixing bottles filled i can do 2 cars or just put 3 layers on my car and forget about my bf's car

people say zaino is hard to use and hard to remove and it's only cuz they use too much zaino which is a waste of the product. i'm a girl and i've been a happy customer for 2 years now...
Old 06-23-2003, 11:03 AM
Instructor

the first time i used Zaino, i had the Z1 and that was a whole long stupid process and i ended up putting on too much and just smeared it when i tried to get rid of it. i let it sit over night and it still didn't dry up so i had to wash my car again real quick and leave it without wax to protect it for a while. Then recently, i got the ZFX, and i'm starting to see how it works, but i mean, i still think i put too much on. I honestly don't see the car as being that much more shinier. I was always using Z6 Gloss spray and that always made it look shiny and made it smooth.
And i don't know why, but when i wash my car, i don't think it really gets all the grime off, cause i mean, i'll use the Z6 spray and wipe, and i'll see the towel getting dirty. I use the Z7 carwash. Why is it my car still has grime on it after i wash it?
I really think i need to pick a nice day and clay it, but i'm afraid that i'm gonna scratch it up by claying it...
My girlfriend uses Meguires on her truck, it always looks good. And her truck is black. I have an Anthracite TL, and the color is wierd... i kinda wish i got Aegean Blue or Nighthawk Black. I just thought Anthracite would be a nice color and easy to keep clean, but it never really looks like a good deep color to me, even though i turn around and look at it and it looks good, lol.
Oh well.
One last question. How do you prevent lint from coming off the towels?

Thanks

-ROb
Old 06-23-2003, 11:58 AM
'99 Acura 3.2TL

I use mother products and they work great for me.. id like to try zaino but i cant find it..

@cUr@-TL
Old 06-23-2003, 12:13 PM
Advanced

ok let me try to answer your questions for you, i'm not a pro but this is from experience only.

for z1 you only need to apply a thin layer on after you wash the car with dawn dish soap. let that haze and then apply z2. let that haze and then remove when it comes off clean when you swipe your finger across the zaino. i don't know why it would have not dried and smeared. the first time i used zaino it was in the winter...and still it only took 1 hour to haze in a unheated garage. so i'm not sure why it did that!

zfx is simply amazing! i've been using it since it first came out...i was one of the first people in Canada to get my hands on it...it's alot easier with zfx but still the whole process was quite easy.

do you just wash and z6 the car or do you wash zfx then z6 the car and get grime? if that's the case then it might be that the zaino isn't removed completely which causes the zaino to appear on the towel as dirt. and how do you dry your car? and where do you wash it?

do you sometimes miss a spot? cuz i now my bf does all the time but not anymore since i ***** at him about it... and make sure the car is well rinsed at the beginning to help loosen the dirt so when you use the mitt to wash the car it won't scratch and dirt is easier to remove. what do you use to wash the car with? (sponge, etc) i reccommend a sheepskin wash mitt....and make sure you keep dipping it into the bucket to remove the dirt from the car and into the water.

with the claybar it's simple to use but if you are doubting yourself then don't worry just use this as a guide if you feel comfortable!

ok make sure your car is clean as a whistle, no grime just clean...and make sure to claybar under a cool area...direct sunlight will dry the clay lubricant...if you drop the clay bar throw it away...dirt may have gotten stuck on and will scratch your car as you clay it....and mix in a spray bottle 1 cap z7 and 16oz water use that as a lubricant as you clay...if you think you might drop it then break the clay into smaller pieces so if you do drop it, it's not a big deal...but not too small. and keep kneading the clay to form a ball and if you think there'e dirt in it throw away. don't take a chance...

then when you're done claying the whole car wash it again with z7 to remove all the clay residue...and follow up with a good zaino session.

and your last question....how do you prevent lint from the towels?

wash them seperately and dry them and while using them to remove the zaino keep shaking it but shake away from the car...and don't use dryer sheets. i hope that helps since i don't know why that happens cuz i don't have that problem....

i have a silver RSX and with each time i zaino it, it's gets wetter and wetter looking very glossy and shiny all the time...and i love how the water beads right off....
Old 06-23-2003, 12:17 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by @cUr@-TL
I use mother products and they work great for me.. id like to try zaino but i cant find it..

@cUr@-TL
if you are in canada you can order it from dennis tell him emily referred you and he'll take good care of you! pm me for his email if you're interested

or you can order from their website

http://www.zainobros.com
Old 06-23-2003, 01:06 PM
Racer

If you dont want to clean out your bank account and dont feel like spending your whole day waxing. Mother reflections liquid form. car looks nuts when your done
Old 06-23-2003, 01:21 PM
Advanced

zaino isn't that expensive
Old 06-23-2003, 01:23 PM
Advanced

what about Zymol's cleaner wax?
anyone use this?
Old 06-23-2003, 03:12 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by bassplayer
what about Zymol's cleaner wax?
anyone use this?
someone did a test with a few brands of waxes...and it showed that the cheap zymol was better then the expensive zymol...but zaino came out as the winner
Old 06-23-2003, 03:25 PM
Advanced

Thanks
Old 06-23-2003, 03:38 PM
Instructor

Zaino is not hard to use at all, just time consuming. I am the type of person that wants to get all 3 coats done ASAP. You can do just 1 coat and then wait for next weekend to do the next. ZFX allows you to do coat after coat without curing time. You can get a "starter" pack for less than $100. Easy to reapply and less often. Splurge and get the Zaino and you won't be unhappy. You have to look at it as an investment protecting your car. Save up, get Zaino and wait for the people to comment. I am getting ready to clay and re-zaino my whole car. Other waxes you will reaplly twice as often unless your RSX and apply every spare minute. LOL. Joking RSX.
Old 06-23-2003, 04:52 PM
2nd Gear

Use Dawn, then clay magic, then dawn again, and nu finish. 2000 TL still looks show room new.
Old 06-23-2003, 05:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
umm... is meguirs any good?
someone?
anyone?

Quick Reply: What is the best wax?