What are airbags for ur suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2001, 02:52 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What are airbags for ur suspension?

I've heard a few people mention them and i'm not sure what they are, does anybody?
Old 04-26-2001, 02:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

No idea..can't help, sorry

------------------
2000 3.2TL Firepepper red w/o nav
stock spoiler
Comptech springs
Custom front Grill
Bosch 4+ platinum spark plug
25% Tint/Mud guards/
acura-tl.com sticker at front windshield
Old 04-26-2001, 02:59 PM
Racer

I believe you are referring to an Air Bladder? These are awesome suspension systems, but they cost about 2000 for the whole thing. It's an alternative to hydrolics, and a lot safer. If hydros fail the car slams to the ground, but if the air bladder system fails, your car still has a type of "spring" as backup. The downside of the air bladder is that you cant bounce your car like you can with hydros... but who cares? This is a luxury car, not a bouncer. I would actually rather have an air system then coilovers cuz you can change the hight of your car with a switch.
Old 04-26-2001, 03:27 PM
Racer

Originally posted by ChaosityZ:
I believe you are referring to an Air Bladder? These are awesome suspension systems, but they cost about 2000 for the whole thing. It's an alternative to hydrolics, and a lot safer. If hydros fail the car slams to the ground, but if the air bladder system fails, your car still has a type of "spring" as backup. The downside of the air bladder is that you cant bounce your car like you can with hydros... but who cares? This is a luxury car, not a bouncer. I would actually rather have an air system then coilovers cuz you can change the hight of your car with a switch.
Thanx for the info, sounds good. Now I am considering airbags instead of coilovers.

Old 04-26-2001, 03:39 PM
Racer

Does it improve handling at all and where can i find more info and purchase, thanx
Old 04-26-2001, 03:49 PM
Racer

I dont know about handling actually. I know that when the bladder is at half fill.... the "normal" position, that the ride is supposed to be like a cadilac... just as smooth as can be. I would assume that if you release air, which lowers the car, that you would improve your handling. Like I said I dont know too much about them other than what I learned a few years ago. Probably need sway bars with them to make things better.
Old 04-26-2001, 04:00 PM
Racer

Thanx again
Old 04-26-2001, 04:12 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,183 Likes on 1,196 Posts
One nice thing about the factory installed ones in Caddy/Lincoln is that your car is always level. Load up the trunk and the car will level itself. The car will never have that "dead body" in the trunk effect.

Old 04-26-2001, 05:14 PM

I HAVE BAGS (ACTUALLY CYLINDERS) ON MY CIVIC, AND THEY WILL DROP TO THE GROUND JUST LIKE HYDROS, IN FACT IT HAPPENED TO ME ON MY WAY TO WORK THIS MORNING ON RT. 80 AT ABOUT 90 M.P.H. AND I DESTROYED MY FRONT FENDERS, AND 2 FRONT TIRES.

THEY DEFINATELY ARE VERY PHAT, BUT THEY ARE A PAIN IN THE ASS. YOPU HAVE TO WAIT TO GET YOUR COMPRESSOR AND TANK FILLED BEFORE YOU CAN RAISE IT UP. YOU ALSO HAVE HORRIBLE HANDLING. MY CIVIC USED TO BE ABLE TO WHIP SHARP TURNS AT 70-80 M.P.H. BUT NOW I HAVE SO MUCH BODY ROLL IT IS LIKE I HAVE A LINCOLN TOWNCAR NOW.

I AM STILL DECIDING ON PUTTING THEM IN MY TL, I'M NOT SURE IT IS SUCH A GOOD IDEA. IF YOU HAVE ANY OTHER QUESTIONS, LET ME KNOW.

------------------
2000 3.2TL[*]AEM CAI[*]COMPTECH SPRINGS[*]COMPTECH HEADER[*]COMPTECH EXHAUST[*]18" GIOVANNA BOLZANOS[*]WOOD DASH KIT[*]TLS TAILIGHTS[*]WW KIT,MUGEN SPOILER,
CUSTOM GRILLE [*]ICED WITH AUDIOBAHN,
JL, PANASONIC, DVD, PS2.[*]19" CLUB
MEMBERSHIP SOON
Old 04-26-2001, 05:33 PM
Retired MOD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What it is: Electronic Air Suspension provides the comfort of riding on air with adjustable spring rates and capability to change ride height and load-carrying ability. Under normal driving conditions, an electronic air suspension vehicle rides at the same height as a traditionally sprung vehicle. With a heavy load, ride height is increased automatically. On current vehicles, the suspension lowers the ride height by 20mm at highway speeds for improved aerodynamics, with about 2 percent better fuel economy. Lower ride height also can improve on-center feel of steering due to the change in suspension geometry and increased caster angle. On the Expedition, the driver can lower the vehicle several inches for easier entry and exit (access mode).

How it works: Instead of a coil or leaf spring, each corner of the vehicle is supported by an air spring (bladder). Shock absorbers are still required. With a constant quantity of air, each air bladder acts similarly to a normal spring. To increase vehicle ride height, more air is pumped into the bags by a pump. Air is released from the bags to decrease the height.

Customer benefit: Improved ride, handling and fuel economy with ease in entering and leaving tall vehicles.
Old 04-26-2001, 06:02 PM
Racer

Thanx Bitium and Dank for ur responses. I'm a lil confused about the handling. Anyways will i be able to adjust the height to what extent and is there a site were i can see prices? Thanx again guys