Went in for my tranny recall work, came out with broken motor mounts

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2005, 02:34 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Went in for my tranny recall work, came out with broken motor mounts

I took my 2000 TL in last week to have the seat beat and tranny recall work done.

When I went to pick up the car this morning, I noticed a loug noise towards the passender side wheel when I excelerated from a dead stop. After looking at it, they told me that two of my front motor mounts are broken.

It didn't make this noise before I dropped it off. The technician rode in the car with me and said he never heard the noise when he test drove it or did the free 27 point inspection. They now want to charge me $299 to replace the motor mounts. I asked to speak with the service manager and he said that the motor mounts are a common item that need to be replaced on higher mileage Acura's (87k, which is not that high for an Acura).

They understand how I can be upset with having to pay for it since it was not a problem before, but there are saying that as odd as it sounds, it was simply a freak occurance that it went out while they had it. He also said the tranny work would not have caused the motor mounts to go out.

Has anyone else had problems with their motor mounts?

What could they have done to it to cause the motor mounts to go out?

My experience with other car's motor mounts is that they DO just wear-out.

Maybe it WAS just a coincidence!!!

Your thoughts will be appreciated.
Old 01-19-2005, 03:00 PM
lover and fighter

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
Did you have the tranny replaced???

There are plenty of threads here wherein people suffered the same incident post tranny swap. The mounts are involved when the tranny is replaced and I wouldn't pay at all. I'd bi+ch up a storm to be honest, especially if TWO of them are damaged...A dealer would have told you if they had been that way already at the time of the tranny fix...

Just my
Old 01-19-2005, 03:33 PM
Advanced

They actually just added the 2nd gear lubrication part to the car. They didn't replace the tranny. It seems to be fine.

From what I've read, the recall with the second gear lubrication part doesn't involve anymore than adding it to the car. They said they didn't have to remove the tranny to add this part.
Old 01-19-2005, 04:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by Cariboo
They actually just added the 2nd gear lubrication part to the car. They didn't replace the tranny. It seems to be fine.

From what I've read, the recall with the second gear lubrication part doesn't involve anymore than adding it to the car. They said they didn't have to remove the tranny to add this part.
you are correct on that. but i dont know how a mount would be fine going in and bad going out. unless they replaced the tranny which could have put stress on the mount there is no reason for it to have gone bad while sitting in the shop
Old 01-19-2005, 05:06 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts

All they do for that is put a tee on the line so it lubricates 2nd gear better. So that is not your culprit. The only thing that could have happened is that someone was beating on the car while they were test driving it and broke your motor mounts.

Josh
Excelerate LLC
Old 01-19-2005, 05:09 PM
lover and fighter

That shoots down my theory. It's jsut hard to imagine you breaking two mounts in two weeks when you just got it serviced. A service like that should have included even a modest inspection that would have noted the mounts broken two weeks ago. I'd still make a stink...
Old 01-19-2005, 05:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by r10apple
That shoots down my theory. It's jsut hard to imagine you breaking two mounts in two weeks when you just got it serviced. A service like that should have included even a modest inspection that would have noted the mounts broken two weeks ago. I'd still make a stink...
i agree.
Old 01-19-2005, 05:36 PM
On the way!

If they replaced the tranny they would have caught the mounts. Yeah - mounts do go bad over time.

I sold an old car with just over 100k miles and it had 5 mounts bad (just about all of them - on that car). Sometimes it's not that obvious that they are bad. The problem is that the TL's front and rear mounts are quite a bit more expensive than regular rubber mounts.
Old 01-19-2005, 06:25 PM
Missing my Acura's

I took my 2000 TL in last week to have the seat beat and tranny recall work done.

When I went to pick up the car this morning, I noticed a loug noise towards the passender side wheel when I excelerated from a dead stop. After looking at it, they told me that two of my front motor mounts are broken.

It didn't make this noise before I dropped it off. The technician rode in the car with me and said he never heard the noise when he test drove it or did the free 27 point inspection. They now want to charge me $299 to replace the motor mounts. I asked to speak with the service manager and he said that the motor mounts are a common item that need to be replaced on higher mileage Acura's (87k, which is not that high for an Acura).

They understand how I can be upset with having to pay for it since it was not a problem before, but there are saying that as odd as it sounds, it was simply a freak occurance that it went out while they had it. He also said the tranny work would not have caused the motor mounts to go out.

Has anyone else had problems with their motor mounts?

What could they have done to it to cause the motor mounts to go out?

My experience with other car's motor mounts is that they DO just wear-out.

Maybe it WAS just a coincidence!!!

Your thoughts will be appreciated.
The same shit happend to me. The stealer fucking sucks!!!!!!! They get money anyway they can !!!!!
Old 01-19-2005, 07:47 PM
6th Gear

I work at a dealer and do about 3 tranny jobs a week. It is a VERY common problem for those mounts to go bad. The mounts are vacuum activated to control the motor when it is under load. The mounts have a type of oil in them and when the seals on the mount go bad the fluid can leak out but when the seals go bad, it wont hold vacuum.I have had to do a tranny in a tl-s with 22k on it and it needed the front mount replaced. Again, this is a very common problem.... usually the mounts dont make a noise though. Might wanna check into that a little bit more.
Old 01-19-2005, 09:31 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by tremor86
I work at a dealer and do about 3 tranny jobs a week. It is a VERY common problem for those mounts to go bad. The mounts are vacuum activated to control the motor when it is under load. The mounts have a type of oil in them and when the seals on the mount go bad the fluid can leak out but when the seals go bad, it wont hold vacuum.I have had to do a tranny in a tl-s with 22k on it and it needed the front mount replaced. Again, this is a very common problem.... usually the mounts dont make a noise though. Might wanna check into that a little bit more.

Thanks Tremor86. You've set my mind at ease....a little.

The dealer told me almost the same thing. With you not having anything to gain by lying to me, I believe you.

With the technician telling me that he never noticed the noise before and then he told the service manager that he actually did hear something, but didn't write it down, it got me suspicious.

After complaining about having to pay, the service manager told me that Acura will throw in the motor mounts for free, but I would still have to pay for the labor ($140 to $150), since the dealership is only being reinbursed for the parts and not the labor. I'm satisfied with getting new motor mounts for only $150. It does make me wonder why Acura would offer to throw in the mounts for free! Maybe they know something...............................
Old 01-20-2005, 01:16 AM
Instructor

The dealer told me almost the same thing. With you not having anything to gain by lying to me, I believe you.

With the technician telling me that he never noticed the noise before and then he told the service manager that he actually did hear something, but didn't write it down, it got me suspicious.

After complaining about having to pay, the service manager told me that Acura will throw in the motor mounts for free, but I would still have to pay for the labor ($140 to $150), since the dealership is only being reinbursed for the parts and not the labor. I'm satisfied with getting new motor mounts for only $150. It does make me wonder why Acura would offer to throw in the mounts for free! Maybe they know something...............................
they're trying to keep you as a customer. thats my guess.
Old 01-20-2005, 07:50 AM
lover and fighter

That was what I was talking about. That is very fair.
I could understand getting the oil-jet work done and not messing with the mounts, and I could understand a single mount breaking in the span of two weeks since your service (bad luck for you), but losing two in two weeks? Kinda hard to believe that they weren't damaged before the service, or during it. Either way, with the oil-jet install being done, they should have checked the car out fully and noted broken mounts then.

For all the people that have bad service experiences, this one seems good.
Old 01-20-2005, 05:38 PM
Instructor

we have a seat belt recall???
Old 01-23-2005, 12:56 AM
6th Gear

Yes there is a seat belt recall on certain vins with seatbelts manufactured between certain dates. The reason they gave you the mount for free is because they "goodwill" warrantied it. They still made money off of you by having you pay labor but they get reimbursed for the mount under warranty.
Old 01-23-2005, 01:14 AM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Just out of curiosity, you're 18 and you work at an Acura dealership (I'm assuming) as a mechanic?
Old 01-23-2005, 01:07 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
Just out of curiosity, you're 18 and you work at an Acura dealership (I'm assuming) as a mechanic?

i know this question was not directed at me, but that doesnt seem very strange. Dealerships, at least the ones I deal with, employ lots of young mechanics...I believe 18 is the min. age you can actually wrench on cars. As long as you have the certs. I think they will let you do more than just oil changes and safety checks...
Old 01-23-2005, 02:32 PM
6th Gear

They dont care how old you are as long as you work your ass off. I make them 140 hours of labor flat rate in two weeks. I make them more money than the top mechanics in my shop because I make just as many hours and get paid less because I havent been there as long. A service advisor from my work is on this board, he can vouch for me. Ive got my own bay, my own tools, my own owrk.... and I do it well. Ive been working on jackstands in my driveway for 3 years beforehand and already done about 10 motor swaps with awesome results before I got my job at acura. Alot of people doubted my skills when I first started there but I am now one of the most respected workers in the place. Heres pics of the motor I put together from top to bottom and mic'd everything myself, along with some pics of my port work. Enlarged to show detail, what a pretty motor. EnJoI