Well it finally Happened to ME!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2004, 11:54 AM
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
Well it finally Happened to ME!!!!

Well,

I am backing up from a parking spot and after I put it into reverse it takes a good 3-4 seconds for it get into gear....reving and then knocking into gear. BTw I have about 61k on my TL-S.

I think "hmmmmmmmmmm nah, this cannot be happening to me"

As I get to the light I stop. When the light turns green I step on the gas and the car starts reving.....all the way up to 5k then finally jerks into gear.....spining the tires and giving me whip lash......

I think "Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm nah, this cannot be happening to me"

While I am on the freeway, everything is fine.

I get off the off ramp and stop at the light. I press on the gas at a green light. Same thing starts happening.

Well I make it home without any further issues and try not to think about it.

Please keep note that this is a Thursday night and I am leaving for Disneyland for 2 weeks with my wife and three kids on Sunday. We were NOT going to take my car, we were going to take the LX470.

Anyway, Friday I drive to get some things for the trip and not only do I have a repeat of the above, it seems to be happening everytime the car goes from 2nd gear up to 5th.

Anyway I call my service guy over at Acura and here is how the conversation goes:

"Hey Alan, it's Mitch, hows it going today?"

"Oh you again, what do you need? What mod did you do to a perfectly good car, that now you are regretting that I have to try and fix?" <chuckle>

FYI: We are good friends and he is very kewl

"Listen here is what is happening..." and I proceed to tell him what is happening.

"Yeah so...that is normal"

"What the hell do you mean?"

"What do you think I mean.....it is normal" <chuckles"

"Ha Ha wise ass what do you want me to do. I am leaving Sunday for 2 weeks"

"Bring it in and that will give us time to look at it"

"Ok no problem, I will drop it by today"

Click....we hang up. I drive another 20 min home and get off the offramp.

Now this time when I push on the gas, the car rev's till 6500-7000 rpm and kicks in at 6000 rpm. The car JUMPS forward and the dashboard lights up like a Christmas Tree!!!

After the car stops shaking here is the result:

The car is in 4th (I have an auto) but the 5th light is blinking. The VSA light is blinking, the check engine light is on, and so is the oil light.

I make another call:

"Hey Alan, tell me what this means (and I tell him the above situation)"

"Ok (in a serious voice) I want you to pull over and call Acura car care and have them tow you up here. DON'T drive the car anymore at all!"

" I am 1/2 mile from home, can I make it there and then have it towed?"

"yeah that should be fine, but have your hazards on and go VERY slow, I don't want it kicking into reverse all of a sudden with people behind you"

"Are you serious? Great...what kind of piece of **** did I buy" <laughing>

<laughing>"Mitch, it was the sway bars you put on the car, and probably those Rotora rotors and new brakes!"

Anyway the result is that they towed the card to Acura for me. 7 days later I have a new transmission in the car.

I wont be home for another week and a half so I don't know how it will drive but I am hoping it will be fine.

Anyway there is my story....I will keep you all updated.

DeathtoToasters
Old 11-20-2004, 12:08 PM
Team Owner

Received 602 Likes on 419 Posts
That sucks man. I guess I was lucky when my CL's tranny went it was not as violent. It just raced a lot and I had to manually shift to prevent it from redlining. At least you have a cool dealer. I heard some horror stories about some of them telling you to drive it home and come back in a week or so.
Good luck with #2.
Old 11-20-2004, 12:42 PM
Chloe @ 17mo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You have a such a nice relationship with your service guy.
Old 11-20-2004, 12:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
bummer. atleast you wern flying along down the hwy. my 3 did that just as they died too. 1 i made it to the dealer the other 2 i had to tow to the dealer. now i have a spare tranny in my garage waiting for the next one to die