Weird tranny quirk?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2001, 12:46 PM
RWD convert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weird tranny quirk?

I remember somebody posting a while back about a time when they were driving in SS and their tranny refused to shift? Well yesterday I was driving and this volkswagen golf VR6 wanted to try me so I went ahead and put my shifter into ss mode. I floored my car and let my tranny auto shift into second but when I tried to shift into third it wouldn't budge. My car just kept bouncing off the rev limiter. SO I shifted the tranny into D5 and waited a couple of seconds and finally the tranny shifted into third, then fourth, then fifth. It didn't do this again for the entire night, and I was trying to be as hard on the tranny as I could. What went wrong? ECU glitch? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Allan
Old 08-19-2001, 01:01 PM
Instructor

Call me when you have time.

I think the red corrado kid lives next to me. Ive seen his car at the gym all the time.
Old 08-19-2001, 02:17 PM
Pro

I had the same problem in D5. Highway speed it would not downshift...it progressively got worse even at street speeds. Eventually my check engine light went on. The dealership attributed it to a faulty Throttle Control Sensor switch which was replaced.

The worrisome part is that my car doesn't feel the way it used to and I think the problem is getting worse again. I find that at low speeds, the tranny seems to be hunting for the right gear often upshifting too early with observable low RPM's on the tach...though this may also be attributable to the AEM CAI...

not feeling very comfortable with the car these days and I haven't been impressed with tranny...I think Acura/Honda should have either offered a manual or auto-only...
Old 08-20-2001, 12:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm already dealing with Acura on this specific issue. One of there Service Representatives is dealing with me directly from California. I too have noticed the difference in the shifting, to the point I'm nervous about jumping into traffic. On the QT someone form Acura told me this is similar to a problem they had previously. To meet the high ULEV standard for emmissions the ECU chipset is programmed a certain way, eventually problems similar to ours start cropping up and they redesign the ECU chipset for more aggressive shifting and acceleration. I told him that I knew the problem was somewhat isolated and I was the exception to the rule, but he informed me there is a tremendous amount of complaints brewing over this. When I have some satisfaction, I will let everyone know. Acura Motor Corp calls me every week or so to let me know where they stand on the issue. The last I heard was the were discussing it in the technical design area and looking for a solution...
Old 08-20-2001, 12:26 PM
MB-Fanatic w/TL-S

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I, too, have the same problem... and it seems it only happens under full throttle, AND shifting from 2nd to 3rd.... rest of the gears seem to be fine?? Only way to make it shift is lift off throttle a little bit......

Andy Kuo