Warranty service report--mixed bag

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2001, 11:57 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Warranty service report--mixed bag

Well, took my TL-S in for warranty repair; service dept. was able to resolve some issues but not others, as follows:

--they did realign the tailpipes; not only were they not level but the left tailpipe was also off-center.

--could not get the rear skirt to mount totally flush with the rear bumper, hence the gap still exists at the bumper corners. Service guy said nothing they could do about it, all of rear skirts apparently come like that

--could not recenter the steering wheel/airbag cover to reduce the gap on the right-hand side of the cover, which is wider than on the left-hand side

--claimed that window rollup noise is normal due to that the mechanism is cable-driven. BTW--do your TL-S windows roll up/down without any hint of a faint grating-like sound like there was dirt or sand in the roll-up tracks, or IOW roll up whisper quiet, other than the motor noise itself?

--due to cloudy-like discoloration inside the gauge pod, will need to order entire gauge cluster

--will need to take car to body shop to realign driver's side door, as it is still misaligned (barely, but still noticeable upon closer inspection) even after adjusting striker to make the door close tighter

All in all, I'm a bit disappointed at the finish of my car, especially the stuff that the service advisor claims that there's nothing that can be done about it, but at least he didn't blow me off on the door and gauge. It sucks that I have to make another trip to the dealership to get the rest of the stuff taken care of (waiting on parts) but oh well, as long as they get it taken care of.

Ironically, the day I dropped my car at the dealer, Acura called me as expected for the survey thing. The lady who called me apparently wasn't too pleased that I gave a low score for overall finish of my car; I guess she was expecting 5s across the board. I did complain about the cosmetic problems I found on my car, and the lady did say that a representative of American Honda would call me to discuss said problems. I love my TL-S but for what I paid for, combined with the fact that it's an Acura, I think that the overall finish could have been a bit better.

Tony
Old 07-22-2001, 01:52 PM
MB-Fanatic w/TL-S

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My windows roll up/down with the sound you discribed. Dealer also told me it's normal. And all the TL-S I have been in have that sound, too.....but seems not normal to me as well.

Keep us updated..... If you have read my other post, it seems that Acura dealers are not that willing to deal with customers when comes to warranty work and/or trouble shooting/solving....

Sale departments are much better....

Andy Kuo
Old 07-22-2001, 03:30 PM
Instructor

window

I have that window rollup noise too, just on the passenger side tho.
Old 07-22-2001, 03:58 PM
yee
Burning Brakes

hmm..I have problems with my drivers and front passenger side doors alignment too...and the dealer couldn't fix it, think I'll bring it to a different dealer and have it checked again.
Old 07-23-2001, 08:55 AM
Pro

Re: Warranty service report--mixed bag

Originally posted by tdoh
--could not recenter the steering wheel/airbag cover to reduce the gap on the right-hand side of the cover, which is wider than on the left-hand side
I just got mine fixed last week. Dealer said "no problem." Somebody on this forum mentioned that they were told that there are just two screws holding the horn/airbag in place. It's centered now and was about 3mm off center to the left.

--claimed that window rollup noise is normal due to that the mechanism is cable-driven. BTW--do your TL-S windows roll up/down without any hint of a faint grating-like sound like there was dirt or sand in the roll-up tracks, or IOW roll up whisper quiet, other than the motor noise itself?
Mine is whisper quiet. If grindign is a normal charateristic, I was fortunate and got a defective car.

--will need to take car to body shop to realign driver's side door, as it is still misaligned (barely, but still noticeable upon closer inspection) even after adjusting striker to make the door close tighter
Is this the problem with the trailing edge of the door sticking out past the leading edge of the next one by about 1-2mm? If so, I also tried adjusting the striker plate and found there is not substantial enough adjustment, certainly not enough to make it go away. I have confirmed that most of the TL's around here are the same way. It seems that Acura would rather have them flush or slightly "out" to minimize wind noise. My doors are still about 1.5mm out.

Since then, I have checked out some other cars including my friend's SC430 Lexus. It also has trailing edge of the doors out a bit (about 1mm) and his car cost twice what ours did.

All in all, I'm a bit disappointed at the finish of my car, especially the stuff that the service advisor claims that there's nothing that can be done about it, but at least he didn't blow me off on the door and gauge. It sucks that I have to make another trip to the dealership to get the rest of the stuff taken care of (waiting on parts) but oh well, as long as they get it taken care of.

Ironically, the day I dropped my car at the dealer, Acura called me as expected for the survey thing. The lady who called me apparently wasn't too pleased that I gave a low score for overall finish of my car; I guess she was expecting 5s across the board. I did complain about the cosmetic problems I found on my car, and the lady did say that a representative of American Honda would call me to discuss said problems. I love my TL-S but for what I paid for, combined with the fact that it's an Acura, I think that the overall finish could have been a bit better.

Tony
I felt the same way at first. My initial feel of the build quality was not 100% positive. However, after driving the car for 3 months (wow-already?) those little things have faded (or have been fixed)and the car has met my expectations in all other areas. I'm quite happy with the car.
Old 07-23-2001, 01:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

My responses to those of you with similar issues:

Steering wheel/airbag cover: not knowing exactly where the two screws are located--assuming that the screws go into a static location, how was the dealer able to reposition the cover so that it was centered?

Door alignment: the TL-S *may* have doors that come very slightly misaligned, but if the right-side doors line up evenly, why can't the left-side doors be the same? In any case, I still get slight wind noise on driver's side even after striker adjustment; as I mentioned earlier, dealer will have car sent to body shop for door realignment.

Window rollup: IMHO there should be no gritty-type noise at all; heck, my Chevy Tahoe doesn't make that kind of noise, and no one would ever confuse the build quality of a Chevy to that of an Acura. Also, the driver's window makes a really harsh scratching sound when it's going up--this is what I was especially trying to tell the dealer about, yet they didn't fix it and told me that it was normal. I'll just have to have another service advisor hear it. The gritty noise I might just live with but like I said, if my Tahoe has quiet window operation, there's no reason why the TL-S windows can't do the same. If I were to guess as to how to minimize the gritty noise, I would suggest a little silicone spray; however, it ain't my job to fix something that Acura should do under warranty.

Thanks to all for your feedback!

Tony