Want to give someone some business..

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2002, 07:56 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Want to give someone some business..

I am in Chicago and have a 2001 Acura TL / Navigation

This is my first post here.. so hello to everyone

I am looking for a business which my fellow TL owners could recommend to have some minor paint work done. I have a few chips here and there (gotta love the Kennedy expressway...) that I would like to get corrected - the car is black.

Also, I would like a location where I can get the 6-CD changer installed/purschased the whole shebang. The Burlwood gear knob and those Acura weather mats.

Please advise and thank you!!!

-Paul V
Old 01-01-2002, 08:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome Aboard Chicago Acura. As you now realize Acura has some pretty crappy paint. This is one of the larger complaints about the car from a lot of our members here including myself. Hopefully one of our Chicago members will chime in with the answers you need. In the meantime look around the board, you will see a lot of modded TL's as well as stock ones. Tim (aka Snook789) owns this board and Autocarparts.com (hit one of the links above) and can get just about anything for our cars....
Old 01-01-2002, 08:30 PM
10th Gear

Originally posted by MikeS
Welcome Aboard Chicago Acura. As you now realize Acura has some pretty crappy paint. This is one of the larger complaints about the car from a lot of our members here including myself. Hopefully one of our Chicago members will chime in with the answers you need. In the meantime look around the board, you will see a lot of modded TL's as well as stock ones. Tim (aka Snook789) owns this board and Autocarparts.com (hit one of the links above) and can get just about anything for our cars....
Thanks for responding

I hope someone will chime in soon. I was looking at that - I just might get the floor mats from him. As for the shifting knob - is this an easy thing to do? Can one just simply unscrew the original and screw the new one in??

Thanks, sorry for the questions.. I am new to all of this.

-Paul V
Old 01-01-2002, 09:42 PM
Drifting

Hey, nice to see another Acura-tl.com from the Midwest!

Do you have really bad paint damage on your car? I'm sort of "collecting" chips right now, basically waxing over the chips for now until I get enough damage to bring the car to a professional.

Acuras (and most other new cars I hear) have very thin and gurly paint these days. Something to do with the EPA or something. I hope the EPA has taken into consideration that by reducing paint waste at the factory they have increased paint waste caused by people getting their cars repainted because their paint is damaged.

Floor mats: Get em! I got my all-season mats recently and they are great for when it gets sloppy outside.

Shift knob: Yes, just twist it off. But it's on very tight, so be prepared to twist really hard.
Old 01-01-2002, 10:02 PM
10th Gear

Originally posted by daverman
Hey, nice to see another Acura-tl.com from the Midwest!

Do you have really bad paint damage on your car? I'm sort of "collecting" chips right now, basically waxing over the chips for now until I get enough damage to bring the car to a professional.

Acuras (and most other new cars I hear) have very thin and gurly paint these days. Something to do with the EPA or something. I hope the EPA has taken into consideration that by reducing paint waste at the factory they have increased paint waste caused by people getting their cars repainted because their paint is damaged.

Floor mats: Get em! I got my all-season mats recently and they are great for when it gets sloppy outside.

Shift knob: Yes, just twist it off. But it's on very tight, so be prepared to twist really hard.
Are you in Chicago?

Thanks for the suggestions and tips/hints.

It's just some minor paint chippings - but it annoys me greatly and I would like to get them corrected.

Thanks - here's a hoping someone can provide me with some info.,

-Paul V
Old 01-02-2002, 12:54 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Chicago Acura

Thanks for responding

I hope someone will chime in soon. I was looking at that - I just might get the floor mats from him. As for the shifting knob - is this an easy thing to do? Can one just simply unscrew the original and screw the new one in??

Thanks, sorry for the questions.. I am new to all of this.

-Paul V
Hey Chicago,

I'm a neighbor, well kind of. I was born and raised in Chicago, but now I live in Mundelein.

I don't know of many bodyshops in The City, but I do recommend Libertyville Auto Body. They were originally Acura of Libertyville's bodyshop, but they became their own business, although they're still in the same building. I'm not sure if they still are, but they used to be the only factory authorized Acura bodyshop in the Chicago area.

They did a nice job fixing a big dent in the hood of my Vigor a few years ago and also did a nice job repairing my wife's old Pathfinder after she banged it up to the tune of $2,500.

As for mats, I was going to buy the WeatherTech mats, but ended up finding a nice knock-off from Target. They have the same deep channels to collect the water and crud. Good luck finding them though. I had to drive around to several stores to find the tan ones, I have the Parchment interior. Otherwise, I like the clear ones Tim sells. Unfortunately I saw them after I bought mine already.

As for the knob, as mentioned previously, Tim has them, or you should be able to get one from a dealer. Same deal with the changer. When I installed one in my old Vigor, I bought it from Acura of Libertyville (where I bought that car).

Where did you get your TL? Bought mine from Woodfield Acura.

Good luck keeping that car clean with our winters, although it's been pretty tame so far this year!

George
Old 01-02-2002, 08:23 AM
10th Gear

I bought mine at McGrath Acura in Glenview, by Old Orchard.

Second Acura I purchased from them.. no problems.

Thanks for the info, but the Libertyville location is a bit far from me. I live in the NW side of the city, so I hope someone else can suggest someone.

Thanks again for all your time and attention.

-Paul V
Old 01-02-2002, 08:38 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by Chicago Acura
Are you in Chicago?
I'm in Lenexa, KS, a suburb of Kansas City.
Old 01-02-2002, 08:47 AM
jr
Instructor

the only body shop that i would send somebody to would be body builders in rolling meadows. just off of rt 53 and northwest hwy. they are the best i know its kind of far but its worth it you wont be sorry. i took a car that my wife had crease down the whole drivers side of the car and when i got it back you could not tell that the one side was painted at all and it was a white car just as hard to match as black.
i did have to wait about 6 weeks to get it in tho.