Viper Alarm Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2001, 06:40 PM

Question Viper Alarm Question

My brother's rims were almost stolen a couple of days ago, and that made me real concerned. <small>(They opened the lugs, but they couldn't fit a jack under his car because its so lowered. He has real nice brabus rims.)</small>

1. Would an alarm go off if someone tries to steal my rims?
2. How much does Viper ESP 500 cost?
3. Do i need to buy the auto start/window up & down separately?
4. Any problems with it?
5. By installing this would my engine stop feature that comes with the car be removed?
6. Any other comments would be great. I love reading whatever is on your mind.

Thanks in advanced

<small>(I looked in the archives, but couldn't find that much on this subject.)</small>

Old 02-11-2001, 08:22 PM

i dont know anything about alarms, but could you post a picture of your bro's ride some day?
Old 02-11-2001, 08:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Originally posted by behnam:
Would an alarm go off if someone tries to steal my rims?
You would want to buy a digital tilt sensor for your alarm. I know the Cliffords have it. That way if someone tried to jack up your car, even a little bit, it would go off.

------------------
1999 Satin Silver Metallic 3.2 TL w/o Navigation
  • Factory underbody kit and spoiler
  • Burlwood shift knob
  • Trunk tray
  • 20% tint
  • Ractive intake
  • Clifford Intelliguard 9000 alarm
  • Alpine 6 disk CD changer
  • Comptech springs, sways, exhaust, and headers
Old 02-11-2001, 09:04 PM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
It's very hard to protect your rims with an alarm system. Yeah, you can get the digital tilt option from Clifford, digital auto level from alpine or liquid merqury trip sensor. But I've been told (by my installer) they are more trouble, trips false alarms and false too often. Simply, they are not reliable.
I have a Viper with remote start, windows, shock sensor, glass sensor and proximity sensor. I got the proximity sensor for anybody getting too close, it will chirp several times. BUT, that only works if they are in view through the windows. Because that's how it detects motion. Thieves can crouch around and sneak up and do what ever they want to my rims, jack-up my car very slowly (by-passing the shock sensor) and take my rims. There is really nothing out there to fully protect your rims.
Just weld your rims to the hub!

------------------
1999 Dark Emerald Pearl TL w/ nav
Factory underbody kit and rear spoiler.
Comptech springs, sways, headers and exhaust.
RS Akimoto Funnel Ram III Intake.
18x7.5 +48 5Zigen Heidfeld wheels with 225/40ZR18 Nitto NT-555 tires.
Inspire Tail-lights with Polarg M-23 P8711R signal bulbs.
DEI Viper 550ESP Alarm
http://home.socal.rr.com/tada/socal28TL.htm
Old 02-11-2001, 10:34 PM
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think that if jacking it up didn't set off the alarm, breaking the lugs free would set off the shock and the alarm would go. I really doubt you could take my wheels without setting off the shock or prox.
Old 02-12-2001, 09:04 AM
Racer

Originally posted by socal28:
I have a Viper with remote start, windows, shock sensor, glass sensor and proximity sensor.
I've been wondering about those remote start Vipers. I'm thinking strongly of getting the 550 ESP myself, but how does the remote start thing work security-wise? I mean, if I start my car from the window of an office building, so it'll be warm/cool by the time I get down to the parking lot, is there anything to prevent some schmo from forcing the door, hopping in and driving off?
Old 02-12-2001, 10:59 AM
Three Wheelin'

is there anything to prevent some schmo from forcing the door, hopping in and driving off?
Most remote starters require a key to be placed in the ignition before the car can be put into drive. If not, the car will stall.

Old 02-12-2001, 01:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by behnam:
My brother's rims were almost stolen a couple of days ago, and that made me real concerned. <small>(They opened the lugs, but they couldn't fit a jack under his car because its so lowered. He has real nice brabus rims.)</small>

1. Would an alarm go off if someone tries to steal my rims?
2. How much does Viper ESP 500 cost?
3. Do i need to buy the auto start/window up & down separately?
4. Any problems with it?
5. By installing this would my engine stop feature that comes with the car be removed?
6. Any other comments would be great. I love reading whatever is on your mind.

Thanks in advanced

<small>(I looked in the archives, but couldn't find that much on this subject.)</small>

A digital Tilt sensor like Clifford has will go off before other alarm sensors on the car.

------------------
2000 3.2TL Nighthawk Black/Ebony/Navigation/ Optional Factory Chrome Multi Spoke 16" Wheels/Factory Underbody Kit/Factory Spoiler/Moonroof Visor/Factory 6-CD Changer/Trunk Mat/Factory Black Wheel Well Trim/Clifford IG8000 Alarm System w/add-ons/%51 Tint/Weathertech Floormats/Factory Car Cover/Michelin Arcctic Alpin Winter Tires on Stock Wheels/Factory Car Cover/Factory Gold Emblems Grille & Exhaust Tips
Old 02-12-2001, 01:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by genghis:
I've been wondering about those remote start Vipers. I'm thinking strongly of getting the 550 ESP myself, but how does the remote start thing work security-wise? I mean, if I start my car from the window of an office building, so it'll be warm/cool by the time I get down to the parking lot, is there anything to prevent some schmo from forcing the door, hopping in and driving off?
I use to wonder about that myself before I got my Clifford.I asked the installer how they work & he said that you still need the key turned in the on position to keep the car going.If the door was opened the alarm would still do its job& with the anticajacking on the Clifford that works as a back up.
Old 02-12-2001, 01:33 PM
Pro

With the Viper 550ESP remote start function, you can set the time-out for the remote start. Default is 12 minutes. If you start your car from the office and the car is on for at least 5-8 minutes, the car will be warm/cool, just remember to set the settings before you leave the car. I do it all the time, kinda getting spoiled by it now!
The safety features are as follows...
1. The alarm is still armed when you remote start the car. Just the proximity and shock sensors are disabled. If someone tries opening the door without disarming the alarm, the alarm siren will trip and the engine will turn off.
2. If the alarm is disarmed and the key is not in the ignition at ON position and somebody presses the brake pedal to move the gear, the engine will turn off. You need to have the key in at ON position to keep the car running and drive off.
3. You cannot remote start the car with the hood opened. This is a safety feature for mechanics. Also, if the remote start is in progress and you open the hood, the engine will turn off.
You can also manually turn off the remote start once started.
Viper 550ESP also has the feature of "remote valet". This feature lets you leave the vehicle running, arm the car, come back before time-out, disarm vehicle and drive off without turning off the engine. This is ideal for ATMs, quick stop at liquor mart, fast food, post office, etc.
Keep in mind that remote starters are very complicated feature for the alarm, you must have it installed correctly to insure no failures. I've had no problems with mine so far, had it for about 6 months now!

------------------
1999 Dark Emerald Pearl TL w/ nav
Factory underbody kit and rear spoiler.
Comptech springs, sways, headers and exhaust.
RS Akimoto Funnel Ram III Intake.
18x7.5 +48 5Zigen Heidfeld wheels with 225/40ZR18 Nitto NT-555 tires.
Inspire Tail-lights with Polarg M-23 P8711R signal bulbs.
DEI Viper 550ESP Alarm
http://home.socal.rr.com/tada/socal28TL.htm
Old 02-12-2001, 04:09 PM
Racer

socal,

Cool, thanks for the detailed info. How much does the Viper 550ESP generally go for?

Just curious, has anybody gotten the "valet Car*Com" service, where you can unlock the doors and remote start via a telephone call? That would have been very useful to me a week ago, when my wife left her keys in the purse and the purse in the car and I had taken the train into the city after getting a ride from her to the station.
Old 02-12-2001, 04:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

socal,

Cool, thanks for the detailed info. How much does the Viper 550ESP generally go for?

Just curious, has anybody gotten the "valet Car*Com" service, where you can unlock the doors and remote start via a telephone call? That would have been very useful to me a week ago, when my wife left her keys in the purse and the purse in the car and I had taken the train into the city after getting a ride from her to the station.
The place were I got my Clifford instaled had the Viper 550 w/Remote start Igniton Kill Dual Zone Shock Sensor for $399.

------------------
2000 3.2TL Nighthawk Black/Ebony/Navigation/ Optional Factory Chrome Multi Spoke 16" Wheels/Factory Underbody Kit/Factory Spoiler/Moonroof Visor/Factory 6-CD Changer/Trunk Mat/Factory Black Wheel Well Trim/Clifford IG8000 Alarm System w/add-ons/%51 Tint/Weathertech Floormats/Factory Car Cover/Michelin Arcctic Alpin Winter Tires on Stock Wheels/Factory Car Cover/Factory Gold Emblems Grille & Exhaust Tips
Old 02-12-2001, 04:55 PM
Pro

socal,

The place that I got mine installed is $500 for basic Viper 550ESP + the extra module for the key. Mine came out to be over $1000 because of the windows and proximity sensor. Not the cheapest but great work!

Viper also has that telephone feature as an add-on, don't know if it can unlock the doors though.