Various paint flaws...

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2003, 08:04 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Various paint flaws...

Got a question for you paint and finish experts. I am getting close to finishing my list of little imperfections in my car. I noticed a few spots on the finish when washing it the other day...

One is on the hood. Not quite sure what it is, but it looks like a bird **** on it and the previous owner let it sit for a few weeks. The surface is smooth, so I hope it is not under the finish, but it looks like it may be. It is not too noticable, but it shows up as a dark shiney rust color on my dark blue paint.

Another one is on my C pillar. Its a spider web looking thing that has collected wax. I assume this is a crack in the clear coat or something.

I'm really nervous about messing up my paint. So can I fix these things by myself easily? Or do I need to get a professional? If I need a pro, what kind of shop does these things? A paint and body shop, a Maco, what?
Old 10-24-2003, 08:58 AM
Burning Brakes

Hard to tell without pics, but before you start painting.
Bird **** is very acidic. If it was there for a few weeks, chances are it could etch into the clearcoat. You may be able to polish this section out. I'd try a mild abrasive polish.

Is the spider web left over wax ? I don't think it would crack the clear, but you may want to try to polish this area first.

The paint on the car isn't the greatest thing in the world, but I wouldn't take it to a body shop without trying some polish first. Also...Maco ?....bleh
Old 10-24-2003, 09:57 AM
Racer

bird sh*t

Other poster is right, it will stain the clear coat quickly. Use 3m Finesse it II clear coat safe rubbing compound with a terry cloth applicator. You can apply a small schmear right on top of the offending stain and then rub with moderate pressure in various directions (left to right, right to left, up to down, down to up) and so on. Vary your rubbing so you keep it even. Keep rubbing until the compound is dry and almost coming off. Then use a clean towel or cloth and remove the dry compound. If the section is dull don't panic, this is normal. If you can still see the offending stain, give it one more go but don't press to hard to try to many times, even clear coat safe rubbing compound can damage the clear coat if you try too hard.

If it's gone and the area has a dull look to it (again normal) use a good polish (not wax, POLISH) like Mequires Crystal step 2 polish or Mother's (for off the shelf) or 3M (I use KLASSE AIO but it is expensive and you can only get it online).

Apply the polish the same way you did the rubbing compound, with a new clean terry cloth towel or micro fiber towel..until dry and almost coming off, then use a clean towel and remove. This should restore the shine.

Then Wax as usual...
Old 10-24-2003, 06:49 PM
Instructor

Awesome. Thanks. I am going to try the polish and then break out that 3M stuff mentioned.