Valve Adjustment DIY in progress

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 04:33 PM
No He Can't

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by phee
yea. you should replace the gaskets when you do it. i was gunna offer to do it since im in GA and thats pretty close to you....but oh well
Thanks I might have to do that if I don't get the dealer to do it.. I'd spend as much money on gas getting there and back as I would just getting them to do it.

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Drive it up i will.... I cant wait to ride in the 6 speed with NO vtec.

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
If you can do the conversion you can do this. Its very simple.
I didn't really do the conversion. I helped out with it, but didn't do most of the work. I could help someone doing it to learn and be able to do the next time, but I don't want to attempt something like this. I may just get the repair manual and grab a buddy here in town that has done valve adjustments before, just never on a TL.
Old 03-30-2009, 01:34 PM
Owner www.2ndgen.info

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It should be noted that the pictures line up the wrong line for TDC on each cylinder. There is a notch at the edge of the teeth on the sprocket. You can see them in the picture and notice them more when you're doing it. According the HELMS manual you could line up the line on the edge of the teeth. NOT the line in the middle of the sprocket.
Old 03-30-2009, 02:54 PM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
Originally Posted by Acura2g
It should be noted that the pictures line up the wrong line for TDC on each cylinder. There is a notch at the edge of the teeth on the sprocket. You can see them in the picture and notice them more when you're doing it. According the HELMS manual you could line up the line on the edge of the teeth. NOT the line in the middle of the sprocket.
someone put this in the first post please
Old 03-30-2009, 03:22 PM
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts
From Phee descriptions for the valve adjustment, it will take a lot of time to remove the tbelt cover and that is perfectly right the way it is. I think using his descriptions, you can actually skip that rear tbelt cover part, by using the front cam markings, and use the crank bolt for turning, and that will save you a lot of time.
Old 03-30-2009, 03:33 PM
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts
Should we replace the valve cover gaskets or they both can be re-used?
Old 03-30-2009, 04:16 PM
Owner www.2ndgen.info

Originally Posted by acutee
Should we replace the valve cover gaskets or they both can be re-used?
Excellent question. Once you get the valve covers off you'll notice, especially on the back one, that they gaskets are really hard and not pliable anymore. You should get two valve cover replacement gaskets.

The kits from the dealership, the ones I used, have a pain in the ass grommet gaskets for the 5 bolts for the cover. Those are a real pain in the ass to remove. You have to remove them like removing a tire off a rim. I got sick of replacing them so I only did the back side since those were the ones that were stiff from heat it appeared. But, you should certainly replace the gasket around the covers and the gaskets for the spark plug holes. The spark plug hole gaskets are a pain as well.

I still have the directions from a budy of mine that works at a dealership. I'll try to scan them in tonight and get them on the site. I just did mine today following the directions in the first post and they're pretty dead on minus the TDC thing I pointed out. In addition, You don't have to remove the timing belt cover all the way if you don't want to. I just removed the 5 bolts and peep'd in to check the marks. That saved some time on the disassembly and reassembly.

Last edited by Acura2g; 03-30-2009 at 04:20 PM.
Old 03-31-2009, 02:16 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks - I'm getting ready to do mine in a few weeks. I wasn't planning on replacing the gaskets, but guess I will now. The info on the correct line to use seems pretty cruicial - I hope that didn't screw up Phee's adjustments! Just curious how you turned the engine - I've ready several different methods of doing it. How hard was it to turn / line up properly?
Old 03-31-2009, 03:53 PM
Owner www.2ndgen.info

Its not that difficult to do. You need a torque wrench, long extension, and 19mm socket. I like to jack the car up and take the wheel off so I have more room. Some people just turn the wheel to the right, but I think its thats harder. Stick the socket through the hole on the passenger side wheel well and turn clockwise. Have a buddy check the marks or you can do it yourself, but its harder. If you're having problems with resistance you can take the spark plugs out and that may help.
Old 03-31-2009, 04:04 PM
Instructor

Thanks. What's the purpose of the torque wrench, though - isn't that just when you're tightening to make sure it's not over / under tightened?? So you did it without taking out the plugs?
Old 03-31-2009, 04:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

I kept the wheel on and the plugs in. TQ wrench is so in 50K a bolt doesn't come undone and you damange your motor.
Old 03-31-2009, 04:59 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by rob-2
I kept the wheel on and the plugs in. TQ wrench is so in 50K a bolt doesn't come undone and you damange your motor.
OK - but if I'm turning it clockwise, isn't that tightening it anyway? Just confused why I can't just use a regular socket wrench for this?
Old 03-31-2009, 07:29 PM
Owner www.2ndgen.info

Sorry. Replace torque wrench with breaker bar or flex bar whatever you want to call it.
Old 05-30-2009, 01:18 AM
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts
What happens if you don't adjust the valves?

Will anything bad happen to the engine if the valve adjustment is not performed?
Old 05-30-2009, 03:33 AM
I got the Shifts

well your engine will tick and make noise. if you never ever ever adjust the valves and they get waaaay out of sec, they can hit the tops of your pistons and bend, causing catastrophic failure of your engine.

honestly, its very rare, but you should get your valves adjusted every 100k to get better gas milage, smoother idle, better ride, and more power.
Old 05-30-2009, 06:59 AM
Owner www.2ndgen.info

It does wonders... My car accelerated like crap before I did it. All my exhaust valve were way off on #3 and #5 cyl. Now it flys, especially on the highway!
Old 05-30-2009, 07:47 AM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
you dont have to remove the timing belt covers. theres a grommet on the cover that you remove to do valve adjustments and the mark to line up the cam is on the cover. just remove the front grommet and you'll be fine.
Old 08-30-2009, 11:18 AM
Instructor

Can this DIY do for CL (non type-s)? The shape of intake manifold at the picture is slightly different.
Old 08-30-2009, 08:53 PM
wham bam thank you ma'am

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts
will work for s and p, 6spd and auto
Old 08-30-2009, 11:43 PM
I got the Shifts

^ the specs are different though.
Old 08-31-2009, 02:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 194 Posts
if you never ever ever adjust the valves and they get waaaay out of sec, they can hit the tops of your pistons and bend, causing catastrophic failure of your engine.

Where did you get this information? I've never heard this before, and I don't see how it's even possible. Can you explain?
Old 08-31-2009, 02:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TLer trash
if you never ever ever adjust the valves and they get waaaay out of sec, they can hit the tops of your pistons and bend, causing catastrophic failure of your engine.

Where did you get this information? I've never heard this before, and I don't see how it's even possible. Can you explain?
This could only happen if the valve was depressed at the top of the stroke. You'd have to be more then slightly off, a nut would have had to break. Allowing the bolt (forget the exact name) on the rocker to depress the valve when in TDC.

I'm actually not even certain this would happen. However you can get valve float in high reving/over reving situations, so it might be possible.
Old 08-31-2009, 03:51 PM
Three Wheelin'

Never mind, I forgot about the possibility of a valve stretching. I was only thinking about valves receeding into the head, which is way more common.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:57 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
I've never ever heard of a valve stretching and I usually deal with pushrod engines with lots of spring pressure. I think that's a non-issue. More commonly, the intakes get too much clearance and make noise. The exhaust recedes and the clearances get too tight. Eventually the exhaust valve won't close all the way causing it to overheat and fail.

Getting ready to do mine at 80k.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:36 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by I hate cars
I've never ever heard of a valve stretching and I usually deal with pushrod engines with lots of spring pressure. I think that's a non-issue. More commonly, the intakes get too much clearance and make noise. The exhaust recedes and the clearances get too tight. Eventually the exhaust valve won't close all the way causing it to overheat and fail.

Getting ready to do mine at 80k.
I agree with you, I was trying to make sense out of phee's comment that ignoring valve adjustment could result in piston contact. I haven't heard of valve stretching in many years. This may be off by a mile, but I'm thinking it happened on early z-28s.[some foggy memory of valve "tuliping"] But I agree, it was a high spring pressure, extreme duty problem.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:44 AM
Team Owner

I agree with you, I was trying to make sense out of phee's comment that ignoring valve adjustment could result in piston contact. I haven't heard of valve stretching in many years. This may be off by a mile, but I'm thinking it happened on early z-28s.[some foggy memory of valve "tuliping"] But I agree, it was a high spring pressure, extreme duty problem.
I could definately see how stretching could happen, especially with over 300lbs over the nose, I've just never heard of it. But on a factory car, especially OHC with it's very anemic sping pressures it's usually not an issue.

As far as a valve hitting a piston from it, no way. I can safely say that only happens if it drops a valve or gets out of time. If a valve stretched the required amount to hit a piston, it would have a dead miss on that cylinder a long time before it contacted the piston.

Off topic but I kind of like the 2nd gen forum, more DIY people.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:57 AM
I got the Shifts

What about valve float due to an over revv
Old 09-23-2009, 01:00 PM
Team Owner

Definately. Been there done that too many times. Luckily mine was "barely" an interference engine. I learned to feel when the power was falling off up top and shift before it got severe enough to smack a piston.
Old 09-23-2009, 03:14 PM
wham bam thank you ma'am

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts
I over reved my engine. Bouncing off 9k for a sec to two, have bent valves in cyl 2 and cracked an exhaust rocker at cyl 5. Still pulls like crazy with the bent valve or 2. Replaced the rocker. But have a misfire bc of the valves
Old 10-25-2009, 06:46 PM
4th Gear

The pictures of the timing gear alignment is incorrect. The line on the outer edge of the gear is to be lined up with the mark on the rear cover behind it. The picture shows the other line on the gear lined up with the rear cover. That line is to be lined up with the mark on the front cover inside the access hole.
Old 11-27-2009, 08:14 AM
Like a BOSS

im a bit lost on this. . .

when do you adjust your intake valves then your exhaust valves. . . you cant do them at the same time

can someone explain this a littel bit better?
Old 11-27-2009, 08:31 AM
Like a BOSS

Firing Order

intake

when I adjust the intake on 1 do I adjust the exhaust on 4?
Old 11-27-2009, 12:14 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
read the diy again- it says what valves adjust when
Old 11-27-2009, 02:18 PM
Like a BOSS

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
read the diy again- it says what valves adjust when

wow you were 100% not helpful thanks for your absolutely useless post.

OP does not explain at all when you adjust intake valves and exhaust, maybe im retarded but I didnt know you could adjust both the intake and exhaust at the same time. If someone could please explain if your supposed to measure both intake and exhaust valves at TDC at the same time it would be greatly appreciated.

so say im on bank 4 do I set it to TDC then adjust intake and exhaust or do I need to rotate the motor before I can do the exhaust valves for bank 4
Old 11-27-2009, 02:30 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Ep3moschini
wow you were 100% not helpful thanks for your absolutely useless post.

OP does not explain at all when you adjust intake valves and exhaust, maybe im retarded but I didnt know you could adjust both the intake and exhaust at the same time. If someone could please explain if your supposed to measure both intake and exhaust valves at TDC at the same time it would be greatly appreciated.

so say im on bank 4 do I set it to TDC then adjust intake and exhaust or do I need to rotate the motor before I can do the exhaust valves for bank 4

I'm in a hurry but if no one has explained in more detail when I get back into town I'll break it down a little more.

You do all valves at the same time period but they have to be fully closed when you do this. At certain points in the crank rotation, only certain valves will be closed so you do every valve that is closed, rotate the crank until some more are closed and do all of those. The manual will tell you which ones are closed at what crank or cam position. I usually cheat and wiggle the rockers on some engines to determine which ones I can do at which time if I don't have a manual in front of me. Doesn't work for all engines. You can watch the valves open and close as you rotate the cam by eyeball to see which ones to do. The manual is like a cheat sheet.
Old 11-27-2009, 03:48 PM
Like a BOSS

Originally Posted by I hate cars
I'm in a hurry but if no one has explained in more detail when I get back into town I'll break it down a little more.

You do all valves at the same time period but they have to be fully closed when you do this. At certain points in the crank rotation, only certain valves will be closed so you do every valve that is closed, rotate the crank until some more are closed and do all of those. The manual will tell you which ones are closed at what crank or cam position. I usually cheat and wiggle the rockers on some engines to determine which ones I can do at which time if I don't have a manual in front of me. Doesn't work for all engines. You can watch the valves open and close as you rotate the cam by eyeball to see which ones to do. The manual is like a cheat sheet.
A normal answer!

thank you, I was not sure what ones would be closed at what time, THAT'S what I was getting at, I don't have a manual, and the DIY is not all that specific with anything its more like "hey look I took some pictures when I did mine, and kind told you what you need to do"
Old 11-27-2009, 05:49 PM
B A N N E D

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
when the cam gear points at 1 you do all of the cylinder one's valves, then turn it to 4, do all of cylinder 4's valves and so on,
also your post at 7:31 IS NOT the firing order, it is what cylinders are numbered what (also 1&3 are at the timing belt end), the actual firing order is 1-4-2-5-3-6 which should also be what order the numbers on the cam gears are, and the order you shoud adjust the valves
GL with adjusting the valves, it is not very hard just a time consuming task

btw, you look through the timing belt cover through that little access hole (right above the alternater)to line up the numbers, (not the actual numbers but the little lines next to the number) to the little raised pointer in the cover

Last edited by friesm2000; 11-27-2009 at 05:52 PM.
Old 11-28-2009, 07:44 AM
Like a BOSS

Originally Posted by friesm2000
when the cam gear points at 1 you do all of the cylinder one's valves, then turn it to 4, do all of cylinder 4's valves and so on,
also your post at 7:31 IS NOT the firing order, it is what cylinders are numbered what (also 1&3 are at the timing belt end), the actual firing order is 1-4-2-5-3-6 which should also be what order the numbers on the cam gears are, and the order you shoud adjust the valves
GL with adjusting the valves, it is not very hard just a time consuming task

btw, you look through the timing belt cover through that little access hole (right above the alternater)to line up the numbers, (not the actual numbers but the little lines next to the number) to the little raised pointer in the cover
how can you do ALL the valves on piston #1 are they all closed at once?

Ive done valve lash before but only on inline engines. . .

as for the firing order question, all I posted was the location of the pistons in the engine
Old 11-28-2009, 10:06 AM
B A N N E D

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Ep3moschini
how can you do ALL the valves on piston #1 are they all closed at once?

Ive done valve lash before but only on inline engines. . .

as for the firing order question, all I posted was the location of the pistons in the engine
because you are doing it when each piston is at tdc between it's compression stroke and firing/power stroke, so the valves kinda have to be closed and sealed for when the gas is ignited and expands it actually pushes down the piston and does not go straight the intake or exhaust

and the location of the pistons in your little diagram were correct just:
...........firewall
belts intake tranny
...........radiater
don't mind the ......, otherwise the numbers and the text be aligned against the side
Old 11-28-2009, 01:30 PM
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts
I'm doing it too, my question is how many gaskets do I need to get and how much did u guys paid at dealer?
Old 11-28-2009, 01:49 PM
I got the Shifts

ep3. when u are at cylinder 1 TDC. adjust the exhaust and intake valves on cylinder 1. then move on and do every cylinder that way

Quick Reply: Valve Adjustment DIY in progress