Valentine One placement

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2001, 10:36 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Valentine One placement

I'm tring to decide where to put my V1. I was thinking about putting the detector behind the mirror. I think 360 detection is useless. 99% of cops hit you from the front. I was thinking about putting the remote display on top of the mirror. Anyone else do anything besides placement above the wheel? Also, how do i get the wire to say in the headliner?
Old 07-03-2001, 10:56 AM
Suzuka Master

I saw some peole put the remote display inbetween the heatseat buttons.
Old 07-03-2001, 12:30 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 505 Likes on 231 Posts
I think the 360 detection is awesome. If you are on a highway, a side street, to know where to look is invaluable.

This especially holds true when there are multiple signals. The strongest signal will flash, indicating the direction of the real radar.

Whenever I get blasted, I look to the remote display to see if I should be watching in front or back.

On the last road trip I took, Connecticut to Toronto, on the long stretch of the NY State thruway between Albany and Buffalo, there were many cops, both stationary and moving, with their radar cranked up to the max. Believe me, it was nice to know that they were 1) sneaking up behind me, or 2) Coming at me from the other lane, or hiding under a bridge.

It's true that most of them "hit you from in front", but it's nice to know when they don't.!

BTW - Mine is located at the lower part of the windshield, with the RDU on the steering column.

:-jon
Old 07-04-2001, 09:08 PM
Race Director

Yeah don't tamper with the functionality of the unit. You never know how [bad] it might react. Why forgo one of the better features of the V1?

By the way I've been running radar detectors for over 15 years and clocking from the rear happens more often then you think. It's a police tactic; which means if you local or state LEOs don't employ this tactic, you may indeed arrive at a 99% number. I know in Minnesota, city police sit on the ramps and clock freeway traffic as they pass by all the time. Same in Wisconsin, where rolling radar is prohibited so they do it on the highways frequently.

In the past, a regular traffic radar had a lot of limitations and was really only used in the stationary position with oncoming traffic, or rolling radar (squad car moving with clocked traffic approaching). Now radar is sophisticated. Police can clock traffic ahead moving in the same direction as he is. He can even choose what lane. His rear shelf-mounted radar antenna can clock you after you've already passed him going in the opposite direction or he can clock you as you appoach him from behind in the same or opposite lane.

Using the best radar detector on the market, if you get a ticket (from behind) because you defeated one of it's primary differentiating features, how sad would that be?