Using security screws to lock down HIDs?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2002, 05:01 PM
Liquid Ice

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Using security screws to lock down HIDs?

I read over on the Maxima.org forums that somebody there has a security screw kit made up for their HIDs. I dont own an Acura TL-S yet, so I dont know if this is possible on the TL-S but if the HIDs are screwed down, isnt this a possibility for us too? You would just need to find the right screws and bolts to put it all together, but it might help to prevent those professional thieves from nabbing your HIDs in under 30 seconds. Just a delay of a few minutes to figure out how to cut the screw head off might make them think twice about stealing HIDs from your car!

Sorry if this has already been suggested, I havent been keeping up with the forums recently.
Old 07-02-2002, 05:10 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Using security screws to lock down HIDs?

Originally posted by LiQiCE
I read over on the Maxima.org forums that somebody there has a security screw kit made up for their HIDs. I dont own an Acura TL-S yet, so I dont know if this is possible on the TL-S but if the HIDs are screwed down, isnt this a possibility for us too? You would just need to find the right screws and bolts to put it all together, but it might help to prevent those professional thieves from nabbing your HIDs in under 30 seconds. Just a delay of a few minutes to figure out how to cut the screw head off might make them think twice about stealing HIDs from your car!

This has been suggested here many times before. The problem is, they're not carefully removing the housings by unscrewing the lamps--they're ripping them out with either a crowbar or a big-a$$ screwdriver as a prybar. They don't want the housings, only the bulbs and the ballasts that are attached to the underside of the housing. So if they crack or destroy the housing while getting it out, no big deal as long as the guts are intact.

And even if they decided to correctly unscrew them, time is of the essence for the thief so they've already bent up the lip of your hood and smashed off your bumper cover to get access to the screw points. Even if they decided taking the lights was impossible because of security screws, they've already done about $2500 worth of damage. And who knows what they might do to the rest of the car if they found out you kept them from taking the lights in the first place....

Good thought, but unfortunately a non-issue with these thefts.
Old 07-02-2002, 07:25 PM
Liquid Ice

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Hmm, oh well. I am worried because I have a wedding to attend in Northern New Jersey in August and the reception will be right on Route 46 where a lot of people had already reported having their HIDs stolen. I guess the best solution right now is the shock sensor or a better alarm huh?

Maybe I'll take my girlfriend's car to the wedding instead
Old 07-02-2002, 07:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
Any kind of antitheft on teh HID's wont work that well. Reasons being the thief breaks the headlights off anyway, and two the damage to the car is already done.
Old 07-02-2002, 09:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Buy yourself a good alarm. Clifford or Viper are very good.
Back into parking spaces so your front end is visible.