UR pulley set/crank Group Buy sound ok?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2004, 06:02 PM
@ slide or die @

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
UR pulley set/crank Group Buy sound ok?

Hi fellow TLers, i just had this idea that might benefit some of you AND ME. This thread is just to discuss who would like to participate and see if there's enough people to make it happen. As you know, Unorthodox Racing makes "THE" pulleys. I sent Jim an e-mail and i am waiting on the prices/people needed and all of that.

**The e-mail i sent offered a compromise of atleast 10people and better prices if more**

I'm volunteering to handle the entire process.

SETS THAT MIGHT BE AVAILABLE:

ULTRA:
S --->crank
Sc -->12-Volt Charger Series Crank Pulley
SS--> 3pc (ALT, crank and P/S)
SSc->2-Piece 12-Volt Charger Series Crank Pulley Set (Stock diameter Crank & P/S)
A--->6rib Alternator
|_-->4rib P/S

The way I'm trying to work this out is not by set prices but rather a discount percentage so that anyone interested can buy whatever they want. We'll have to await a response to talk about money. Unless you guys think there could be better prices if it were not a percentage.

=======================
_~^~_~^~_~^~_~^~_~^~_~
WWW.UNORTHODOXRACING.COM
_~^~_~^~_~^~_~^~_~^~_~
=======================
Old 07-19-2004, 11:02 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey I'm in.

Originally Posted by etxxz
Hi fellow TLers, i just had this idea that might benefit some of you AND ME. This thread is just to discuss who would like to participate and see if there's enough people to make it happen. As you know, Unorthodox Racing makes "THE" pulleys. I sent Jim an e-mail and i am waiting on the prices/people needed and all of that.

**The e-mail i sent offered a compromise of atleast 10people and better prices if more**

I'm volunteering to handle the entire process.

SETS THAT MIGHT BE AVAILABLE:

S --->crank
Sc -->12-Volt Charger Series Crank Pulley
SS--> 3pc (ALT, crank and P/S)
SSc->2-Piece 12-Volt Charger Series Crank Pulley Set (Stock diameter Crank & P/S)
A--->6rib Alternator
|_-->4rib P/S

The way I'm trying to work this out is not by set prices but rather a discount percentage so that anyone interested can buy whatever they want. We'll have to await a response to talk about money. Unless you guys think there could be better prices if it were not a percentage.

=======================
_~^~_~^~_~^~_~^~_~^~_~
WWW.UNORTHODOXRACING.COM
_~^~_~^~_~^~_~^~_~^~_~
=======================
Old 07-20-2004, 06:25 AM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
i think i would be very interested depending on the price.

SSTS
Old 07-20-2004, 07:52 AM
Racer

I am DEFINITELY down! Put me on the list for the SS package.
Old 07-20-2004, 12:45 PM
@ slide or die @

After a bit of talking, the dud sent me a proposal...this was the reponse

================================
Luis,

Group Buy Policy:
15-39 purchasers = 25% off our regular web-site price.
40 or more purchasers = 30% off our regular web-site price.

This program applies per part#, no mixing of part #’s. Please free to contact me if you would like to get something like this started.

Thanks for your interest,
Shawn Baumgartner
President of Unorthodox Racing Inc.
================================

i think this means, If you want the SSc we need 15up for it and you'll save almost $90...ill try making us the discount for any parts.

Is anyone in for any of the sets?

if your gonna start a list do a maibe and a definite lists like this:
DEFINITE
S --->
Sc -->
SS-->
SSc->
A---Alternator>
|_--Steering--> etxxz.

MAIBE
S --->
Sc -->
SS-->
SSc->
A---Alternator>
|_--Steering-->

I need help to make this dud give us discount on ALL parts if we get a good number of people.
Or maibe you guys would like AEM pulleys which are A LOT CHEAPER.
**"You get what you paid for"**
Old 07-20-2004, 01:15 PM
Racer

I'm a definite for the S or the SS. Doesn't matter to me as long as I get a crank pulley out of it.
Old 07-20-2004, 02:01 PM
TL-S driver

what are the prices?
Old 07-20-2004, 06:27 PM
@ slide or die @

^^well...25% off if we get enough people.

S-> crank...220 down to 165
SC>12V crank... 260 down to 195
SS-->3pc kit... 380 down to 285
SSC->3pc 12V kit...398 down to 298
Alternator-> 100 down to 75
P/S---> 124 down to 90

errr...their still not as low as i wanted but still you're getting anywhere from $50-100 less on most. What'dyou guys say? Wanna go AEM? i found some cheap butt OBX ones too <--not recommended

I wanna see people on those lists.
Old 07-20-2004, 10:26 PM
Instructor

how much do they add?
Old 07-20-2004, 10:46 PM
@ slide or die @

only the Crank gives performance (5-8hp TO DA WHEELS)

but if you got a system, you'll want the 12V

and unless you want noises or get a new steering pump, get the Alternator pulley so it compensates for the crank's underdrivement...then you might as well sign up for the 3pc kit and save money. With the full kit on, everything will work perfectly.
Old 07-20-2004, 11:43 PM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
I'm sure a vendor on A-CL could come up with prices that meet or beat those you listed even with the discount from UR. Remember, UR's prices on their website are the retail price. Who pays retail prices these days?

Contact blxmjx or Excelerate (both approved vendors) from A-CL to ask them for pricing. They will give you good prices regardless of the amount of people that join in.

Getting 15 people to make a solid commitment to a groupbuy on A-CL or A-TL is sometimes a problem and getting 40+ is near impossible unless it is an amazing price on something like Comptech Headers.

Oh and I don't know where you came up with that rubbish about the "underdrivement" or whatever you called it and needed another pulley to compensate for it. Numerous owners are using only the crank pulley with absolutley zero problems to report. The only pulley that is a different size than the OEM pulley is the crank pulley. So how either of the additional pulleys compensate for this mythological problem you came up with? The weight loss from the OEM to UR pulley is negligible and won't make a difference.

Same goes for saying you'll want the Alternator pulley if you have a high wattage audio system. This is directly from UR's site:

14) "Can I use the underdrive pulleys if I have a high wattage stereo system?"

All of the pulleys allow stereo systems of up to approximately 600 watts RMS. If the stereo system in question is above that wattage amount then the owner has two options. They can purchase our stock or oversize diameter crank pulley or we can make a custom alternator pulley, which will be smaller in diameter and will increase the voltage output.

Capacitors are a smart addition as they store the power the amplifiers need for peak draw. Our stock diameter series used with capacitors allow the vehicle owner to achieve the cleanest and most powerful sound with no loss in voltage output. Another good option would be to install a second battery or batteries just for the stereo.

At least know what you are talking about if you plan on starting a groupbuy. You are going to mislead people into wasting their money because you told them it was something they needed.
Old 07-24-2004, 04:49 PM
@ slide or die @

Originally Posted by mrsteve
I'm sure a vendor on A-CL could come up with prices that meet or beat those you listed even with the discount from UR. Remember, UR's prices on their website are the retail price. Who pays retail prices these days?

Contact blxmjx or Excelerate (both approved vendors) from A-CL to ask them for pricing. They will give you good prices regardless of the amount of people that join in.

Getting 15 people to make a solid commitment to a groupbuy on A-CL or A-TL is sometimes a problem and getting 40+ is near impossible unless it is an amazing price on something like Comptech Headers.

Oh and I don't know where you came up with that rubbish about the "underdrivement" or whatever you called it and needed another pulley to compensate for it. Numerous owners are using only the crank pulley with absolutley zero problems to report. The only pulley that is a different size than the OEM pulley is the crank pulley. So how either of the additional pulleys compensate for this mythological problem you came up with? The weight loss from the OEM to UR pulley is negligible and won't make a difference.

Same goes for saying you'll want the Alternator pulley if you have a high wattage audio system. This is directly from UR's site:

14) "Can I use the underdrive pulleys if I have a high wattage stereo system?"

All of the pulleys allow stereo systems of up to approximately 600 watts RMS. If the stereo system in question is above that wattage amount then the owner has two options. They can purchase our stock or oversize diameter crank pulley or we can make a custom alternator pulley, which will be smaller in diameter and will increase the voltage output.

Capacitors are a smart addition as they store the power the amplifiers need for peak draw. Our stock diameter series used with capacitors allow the vehicle owner to achieve the cleanest and most powerful sound with no loss in voltage output. Another good option would be to install a second battery or batteries just for the stereo.

At least know what you are talking about if you plan on starting a groupbuy. You are going to mislead people into wasting their money because you told them it was something they needed.
i was just seeing if i should start this or not...and WHAT THE HELL does this have to do with what i thought a problem was?? i'm doing a friends TL and so i'm trying to get better prices :sqntfawk:

====
For everyone else:
i can't seem to get UR (Jim) to give me the deal we wanted, so unless a bunch of you can agree on 1 set its gonna be expensive. I will try to do as recommended by MrSteve, if anything good happens i'll post here again so you all come back and read.
Old 07-27-2004, 02:53 AM
NBP and lovin it

difference between 3pc and jus crank

Whats the point of getting the Ultra SS then if the ultra S is the only power giver, i want this mod but just trying to understand whats the difference, etc.
Old 07-27-2004, 05:10 AM
i

Apparently the UR Pulleys screw up your engine in the long run. Is this true or are my sources just stupid?
Old 07-27-2004, 01:15 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by moahdriven
Apparently the UR Pulleys screw up your engine in the long run. Is this true or are my sources just stupid?

Quit spreading this propaganda. I already answered your exact same question in the previous crank pulley discussion.

People are getting their crank pulleys confused with the harmonic dampers found on some V6 / V8 engines. "Harmonic Balancer" is a term that is used loosely in the automotive industry. Technically, this type of device does not exist. The "balancer" part comes from engines that are externally balanced and have a counterweight cast into the damper, hence the merging of the two terms. None of the applications that we offer utilize a counterweight as part of the pulley as these engines are internally balanced.

The pulleys on most of the new import and smaller domestic engines have an elastomer (rubber ring) incorporated into the pulley that looks similar to a harmonic damper. The elastomer in the OEM pulley serves as an isolator, which is there to suppress natural vibration and noise from the engine itself, the A/C compressor, P/S pump, and alternator. This is what the manufacturers call NVH (Noise Vibration & Harshness) when referring to noticeable noise and vibration in the passenger compartment. It is important to note that in these applications, this elastomer is somewhat inadequate in size, as well as life span, to act as an effective torsional damper. If you look at the pulleys on some of the imports there is no rubber to be found at all. We have samples of these, mostly from Acura/Honda, the Nissan Altima, 1.8L Eclipse, 2.3L Fords, Chrysler 2.2L's, and 1.8L VW's, to mention a few. This is not to say that with our pulleys you will hear a ton of noise or feel more vibration from your engine compartment. Most who have installed and driven a vehicle with our pulleys will notice the engine actually feels smoother. This is a natural result of replacing the heavy steel crank pulley with a CNC-machined aluminum pulley. NVH is variable and unique to every car. NVH will increase with the installation of an aftermarket intake and/or exhaust, for example. Think of OEM intake systems in newer cars, they use baffles and resonators in the intake to quiet all the intake noise. Aftermarket intakes eliminate these resonators and create dramatic increases in engine noise from the throttle opening and closing. So to most tuners, certain types of NVH can make the driving experience more enjoyable.

The purpose of a traditional harmonic damper is to protect against crank failure from torsional movement. This is not necessary in most modern engines because of the many advances in engine design and materials. Factors such as stroke, displacement, inline, V configurations, power output, etc., do determine when and how these harmonics and torsional movements occur.

Again, there is a lot of internet hearsay about the pulleys. When engine problems occur, too often people are quick to blame the pulley first, rather than taking the time to look logically into why there was a problem. We hope that after reading this you will understand the crank pulleys better.
Old 07-27-2004, 03:20 PM
i

im very sorry. Dont worry I haven't spread anything, I was just trying to clear up what I'd heard. Thanks for the clarification, I was really interested in the Pulleysb before except for that misunderstanding...now im thinking more about getting them
Old 07-27-2004, 03:21 PM
i

Originally Posted by darkfox12
Whats the point of getting the Ultra SS then if the ultra S is the only power giver, i want this mod but just trying to understand whats the difference, etc.

id like to kno as well
Old 07-27-2004, 04:29 PM
@ slide or die @

Then how about 15sign up for the ULTRA S. WHo's up for it?
Old 07-27-2004, 11:44 PM
O.G.

I am very interested too. Keep me updated.
Old 07-28-2004, 03:10 AM
Pro

Diddo... I am down for a set of SS for 00'tl
Old 07-28-2004, 08:43 AM
Racer

I would much rather have the whole set - SS package.
Old 07-28-2004, 10:29 AM
Pro

Anyone in Dallas Metroplex area with the UR Crank pulley or set?
Old 07-28-2004, 04:23 PM
@ slide or die @

Then since its down to S or SS lets make a list for them...definites and maibes...there wont be any money down for definites, just getting the people together so the UR dud (Jim can tell me how to get the 25%off.

write your names in old school style.
ULTRA S:
1-x
2-xx

Ultra SS:
1-xx
2-xxxx
Old 07-28-2004, 05:07 PM
dj5
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts
Put me down as a maybe for the Ultra S crank pulley for an '02 TL-S. I am looking to buy in the next couple of weeks.
Old 07-29-2004, 02:40 AM
NBP and lovin it

ss or s

so does anyone know what the benefits are of gettin the SS set over the S are?!!, pwr, longevity...etcetc, anyone know?
Old 07-29-2004, 09:50 AM
Racer

Put me as a definite for the SS package.
Old 07-29-2004, 05:30 PM
Banned

I'm in
Old 07-30-2004, 12:05 AM
NBP and lovin it

SS or S

Im in if someone can tell me if the SS is that much better than getting the S b/c i dont want to spend money on something i dont really need.
Old 07-30-2004, 08:24 AM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

Originally Posted by darkfox12
Im in if someone can tell me if the SS is that much better than getting the S b/c i dont want to spend money on something i dont really need.

the SS is nice, *but* the real gains are seen on the crank pulley (S). i think the gains will be minimal when you keep adding on. at least this is what i have found from doing my own research.

if anyone can refute i am open to information.
Old 07-30-2004, 10:21 AM
Team Owner

The two additional pulleys in the SS package are stock size. They do not provide an increase in performance. They are slightly lighter in weight than the stock pulleys, but the difference is not enough to alter performance.
Old 07-30-2004, 12:14 PM
NBP and lovin it

S

Well, sign me up for the S because i dont want to dish out an extra hundred if theres no p ower gains, and since i dont see any reason to get the SS except for 2 extra light pieces. I can always install the other 2 pieces later.
Old 07-30-2004, 01:24 PM
i

throw me down as a maybe for the SS

how easy are there to install on ur own?
Old 08-01-2004, 07:49 PM
@ slide or die @

Guys, the count is weak...

ULTRA SS -definites-
Moadriven
ELEMENTZ
PDX_3.2TL

ULTRA S -d-
DARKFOX

MAIBES
DJ5-S
BACARDI151 -->which?

i dont think this will happen...i mean, i will run it thru if people sign up.
**I already bought an S** <---one sweet mod
Old 08-01-2004, 11:32 PM
dj5
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts
Mark me off the list. My local speed shop is getting me the crank pulley for $175.

They said it should take them less than an hour to install.
Old 08-02-2004, 07:29 AM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

so long as enough people sign up then i am in for the S (crank only). we're still talking $165, right? and out of curiousity, anyone out there know another member that had theirs installed by acura?

SSTS
Old 08-02-2004, 08:11 AM
@ slide or die @

yeah, IF we get enought people then its 165...IF...=25% off...this applies to 15 people to any other set also.
Old 08-09-2004, 03:27 PM
Pro

Guys, the count is weak...

ULTRA SS -definites-
Moadriven
ELEMENTZ
PDX_3.2TL

ULTRA S -d-
DARKFOX

MAIBES
DJ5-S
BACARDI151 -->which?

i dont think this will happen...i mean, i will run it thru if people sign up.
**I already bought an S** <---one sweet mod
Are you in Texas etxxz?
Old 08-09-2004, 04:04 PM
@ slide or die @

3rd time i think...No.
<----Florida

i already bought my crank...i'll still direct this gb if people actually sign up...OR could someone make a new thread with a "UR BG" so pople sign up.

peace.
Old 08-09-2004, 04:32 PM
Pro

3rd time i think...No.
<----Florida

i already bought my crank...i'll still direct this gb if people actually sign up...OR could someone make a new thread with a "UR BG" so pople sign up.

peace.
My bad! I just wanted to see the crank pulley installed on a TL in person.
Old 08-09-2004, 06:10 PM
@ slide or die @

theres no difference, even with the hood open is hard to see the crank pulley : )::
just konw this is the only that wont give you a payback problem (headers ramble @2500, CAI hisses and could Fok engine by drinking water, sparks gotta be replaced every so often, vafc makes you eat more gas...etc) pulley just gives power.

PEOPLE SIGN UP. i talked to the UR dud and he could give us the same discount with only 10people. (thank me later)

Quick Reply: UR pulley set/crank Group Buy sound ok?