UR Pulley, Icebox, Headers -- Question???

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2004, 12:48 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UR Pulley, Icebox, Headers -- Question???

I was wondering if the addition of UR Pulley, Comptec Icebox, Headers and Iridium IX Plugs, make a 1999 TL faster than a stock TL-s.

thanks
b
Old 11-15-2004, 03:33 AM
13.68 @ 102.56

If it didn't it would certainly put a lot closer to a TL-S. Those are good mods BTW.
Old 11-15-2004, 08:59 AM
@ slide or die @

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i got UR crank, injen CAI, obx headers, spark plugs and a vafc and i hang on with a tl-S untill 120s...total money spent about 1200 i put everything myself. ex vafc.

i'm also on a 99...and let me tell you, the win is up to the start, that who starts first will win.
oh, our 3rd gear will pull faster than their 3rd and 4th...its our only advantage...once you click 4th you'll get smoked!
Old 11-15-2004, 11:24 AM
Sig Rho's Finest

how much of a difference do the spark plugs make?!
Old 11-15-2004, 01:36 PM
Boomer SOONER

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by tpatel
not much really, I have seen anywhere from 2-5 WHP on the dynos I have looked at. But that can obviously vary with many other factors. The NGK iridium plugs last much longer than the Denso ones because they have a slightly larger tip. These advantages help over a regular plug with better gas mileage, smooter engine, and better ignition efficiency = a few more HP!
here is a quote from a website...

Iridium

Iridium is a precious metal that is 6 times harder and 8 times stronger than platinum, it has a 1,200=F higher melting point than platinum and conducts electricity better. This makes it possible to create the finest wire center electrode ever. Prior till now, spark plug manufacturers have favored platinum for their long life or performance spark plugs due to its high melting point, also the technology did not exist to machine and bond iridium on a spark plug electrode(at least in a cost effective manner). Champion spark plugs had already made an iridium industrial application spark plug, but it still sells for over a hundred dollars per plug. Just now is the technology available to effectively use iridium in a spark plug for automotive applications. The strength, hardness and high melting point of iridium make it very well suited for a fine wire plug. The primary iridium plug manufacturers at this time are Denso with a 0.4mm center electrode and NGK with a 0.7mm center electrode. Both are the best performance plugs on the market for traditional automotive use and many racing applications.
Old 11-15-2004, 02:23 PM
woooo!!

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by ou sig
not much really, I have seen anywhere from 2-5 WHP on the dynos I have looked at. But that can obviously vary with many other factors. The NGK iridium plugs last much longer than the Denso ones because they have a slightly larger tip. These advantages help over a regular plug with better gas mileage, smooter engine, and better ignition efficiency = a few more HP!
here is a quote from a website...

Iridium

Iridium is a precious metal that is 6 times harder and 8 times stronger than platinum, it has a 1,200=F higher melting point than platinum and conducts electricity better. This makes it possible to create the finest wire center electrode ever. Prior till now, spark plug manufacturers have favored platinum for their long life or performance spark plugs due to its high melting point, also the technology did not exist to machine and bond iridium on a spark plug electrode(at least in a cost effective manner). Champion spark plugs had already made an iridium industrial application spark plug, but it still sells for over a hundred dollars per plug. Just now is the technology available to effectively use iridium in a spark plug for automotive applications. The strength, hardness and high melting point of iridium make it very well suited for a fine wire plug. The primary iridium plug manufacturers at this time are Denso with a 0.4mm center electrode and NGK with a 0.7mm center electrode. Both are the best performance plugs on the market for traditional automotive use and many racing applications.
nicee. i learned something again today! props.
Old 11-15-2004, 02:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by tpatel
i saw none when i switched
Old 11-15-2004, 10:47 PM
@ slide or die @

i coulnt tell either. i switched plugs like 7k miles after my 60k service...after a recent installation of headers and intake, so i didnt feel anything. I'm sure a dyno would've noticed

Anyhow, now that i think in numbers, its almost cheaper, cooler and even a better investement to trade in for a TL-S...specially if you have the '99 which puts us in the slowest TL of this gen...its worthless, but it makes me sleep better at night!

I just dont have the money...fuk, the car isnt even mine, its my daddy's.
Old 11-15-2004, 10:51 PM
Comptech Freak

which spark plug is gd?

bosch??
Old 11-16-2004, 12:57 AM
Boomer SOONER

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by samkws
which spark plug is gd?

bosch??
NOOO they dont work well in our engines...get the Denso or NGK Iridium plugs. Our stock plugs are NGK I belive, but they have higher performance plugs also, like the Iridium IX. you can get them off Ebay or many other Internet sites, just do a search.
Old 11-16-2004, 10:05 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by ou sig
NOOO they dont work well in our engines...get the Denso or NGK Iridium plugs. Our stock plugs are NGK I belive, but they have higher performance plugs also, like the Iridium IX. you can get them off Ebay or many other Internet sites, just do a search.
agreed. stay away from bosh and stick with the Denso or NGK
Old 11-16-2004, 11:11 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
from a 2nd ear roll till past 100 you should pull on a type s. Off the line, you will hang.
Old 11-16-2004, 12:56 PM
@ slide or die @

Originally Posted by bigman
from a 2nd ear roll till past 100 you should pull on a type s. Off the line, you will hang.
might be true, the guy i raced (dad's friend, raced 2x off d line) i hang closelly untill i reached 60+mhp when i started to gain him very slowly...in 3rd gear i started to pull notisably though. we kept accel'ing untill i hit 125 by which time i was a full car an a half in front...clicked 4th (i over rev 3rd in serious situations i shift at almost 125 ~ 6500rpm) and he started to gain very slowly untill i hit well over 135, but not 140...he was right next to me and pulling slowly

i woulda kept going, but there was traffic infront and i know better than to play nascar in traffic with this car at that speed.

the first race was just untill 70 or so; i was way ahead because i took off nicelly while he burned out.