Upgrades for my 99 TL

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2004, 07:51 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Upgrades for my 99 TL

Ok, so I just came across about $2000. I would like to upgrade my 99 TL w/ Navi this summer. Any thoughts as to what I should do?

Rims/Tires???
I would like to put a nice sound system in it but is there anyway to wire up the steering wheel audio controls to a new head unit? Or keep the navi so it fades the music? I go to school in the mountains, so possibly XM?

I think I may need new rotors...when I brake at higher speeds the wheel shakes a lot and I just had it aligned so I know thats not the problem.

I was looking at vented rotors and good pads. Any suggestions? I read a thread somewhere about strobes and I really want to do that

The only thing I have now is a hard wired radar jammer.
Old 05-05-2004, 08:14 AM
l33t

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
$2000 is a lot of money, but not really

Rims and tires are going to blow that money away. So if thats all you want to do, go for it, unless you go with a cheap-ass wheel and tire combo for $800 then your left with $1200 to play.

Sound system could cost anywhere from $50 to $5000. Mine cost me $7,000. It all depends on what you want, how loud you want it, and how good you want it to sound. If you have $2000, i would wait on the sound system till you got more so you can do it right.

Rotors are easy. Rotora!!! The OEM rotors suck, and if you replace or turn them, they WILL warp again. The Rotora is an inexpensive slotted rotor that no one has has a problem with, including me. The pads im using (most everyone else too) are the Axis Ultimates. They are an awesome ceramic pad, but very very dusty. Front set of rotors is like $180 and the pads are $60ish i think.

after the brakes are done, i would try to prioritize power or performance.

If you want more power, take the rest of your cash and get an icebox, headers, pulleys, iridium plugs, and the unichip.

if you want more performance, go with:
neuspeed strut, eibach sways, comptech springs, koni/neuspeed shocks.

theres some ideas for ya. after your done with whatever you decide to do, POST PICS!!!
Old 05-05-2004, 08:27 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well Iv got 2k now...but I can spend as much as 5k.....i really dont want to put that much into the stereo...that just seems like a waste to me...it can only sound soo good ya know? I think i want JL w3 subs and a good sony headunit. Do you know if there is a way to rig up the audio controls from the steering wheel?

Forget about the rims, i just got new tires (Conti Extreme Contacts) on my standard rims and they are great.

I do however want to get strobe and a good alarm with possibly the window up/down feature.

As far as performance I will order thoes rotors and pads. Do I need just the front? Or back to you think?

The other upgrades, how much difference would I notice? I was planning on putting a K&N in there but all that other stuff sounds $$ and a lot of work. Let me know, thanks!