View Poll Results: Would you trade your TL for a BMW?
No way!
19.61%
Only if I could get an M-car or AMG.
31.37%
Didn't think I could afford it but would like to.
19.61%
My next car will be a BMW!
29.41%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Update report from a TL to 528i defector

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2002, 04:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update report from a TL to 528i defector

Some of you may remember me - I bought a 2001 3.2TL and was not happy with it. Additionally, it had a shimmy that could not be fixed no matter where I took it. Eventually, I traded my 21,000 mile smoker's car with a cracked windshield "Even Steven" for a 1998 40,000 mile BMW 528i 5-speed with Premium Package (wood, leather, upgarded stereo, heated seats, heated steering wheel, blah, blah, blah).

Anyway, here's the update now that I have owned the car for 6 months:

Car is beautiful and with interior appointments the TL cannot begin to touch. When I traded it in, the guy who climbed in to apprasie it said, "wow, looks like an Accord inside and even the window glass says Honda." (OK, don't get too mad yet, my TL brethren - there's BMW-bashing here also.)

Car handles like I had hoped the TL would. Soft and compliant over bumps but little body roll. The feel through the steering wheel is like butter, and impossible to describe. You just have to drive it to see.

The engine is much punchier than I thought it would be, and with the 5-speed stick it's quick enough to be fun. Plus, the straight I-6 design lets the engine rev quite freely and it sounds really cool. Better, in fact, then the 3.2 VTEC sound. I believe I could run about even and maybe beat a stock TL to 60, and after that you'll be looking at tail lights. But hey, it's a stick and the automatic 5-series cars are much slower.

The interior? Man, the wood is beautiful and the whole thing is designed and engineered rather smartly. The electric telescoping and tilting steering wheel is a nice touch, as is the heated steering wheel. The "Montana" leather is top quality and even covers the flap behind the rear arm rest. Everything is leather, including the whole door panels. No skimping here.

The paint is decidedly better than on the TL, and the metaiilc silver has a deep sheen and luster to it. the car gets a lot of compliments and looks like a million bucks.

So what's not to love? I'll tell you - The Shimmy!!! I must be cursed, because the car has an intermittent shimmy from 50-65mph that comes and goes. BMW and various mechanics are baffled and so am I. Maybe a new set of tires will correct the problem.

Also, while the car handles much, much better than the TL the ride is neither as soft nor quiet as the TL. Compromise.

If anyone's looking for a $25-35K car I suggest taking a long hard look at the 1998-1999 BMW 5-series. Just make sure that you get an extended warranty, because repairs on this thing are very expensive. I did all 4 brakes myself this year, and the pads alone are $200 for all 4 wheels. You don't want to know what the rotors cost...

Take care all and it was nice being part of the family, if only for a while. I get bored of cars quickly, and will probably get a used Lexus or Benz next. I'll let everyone know how they compare.
Old 01-21-2002, 04:47 PM
¤ Club Inspire ¤

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hahahha! I think the window part is funny....I mean..the TL IS of course a Honda..that's why the glass says Honda... :p But daamn!! You make the TL feel like a pee wee PINTO compared to a BMW!!

Personal taste here.....I love the TL's styling and power....and I'm very fond of Honda. I love many car makes..But just enjoy your BMW and pimp that shiet out. I'll stick with the TL-S. If I get a BMW, it'll be M3 or M5!!
Old 01-21-2002, 04:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Sorry, didn't mean to be a snob but I was blown away by the differences between the 2 cars within an hour of owning the 528. Don't get me wrong, at times I really miss my TL a lot and sometimes want to trade for one. The TL is really smooth and understated, and rides like a Cadillac compared to the BMW. I miss that while driving through heavy traffic each day. The BMW is much more sport than comfort when compared to the TL and comfort is nice.

Who knows, I might get bored of the 528 and look for a 99-01 Firepepper Red 3.2TL some day.

However, hammering the BMW down the highway at 100mph with two fingers on the steering wheel ... or rowing the wood and leather stick shift from 2nd to 3rd at 50mph on a curving freeway onramp ... are pleasures the TL will never approach.
Old 01-21-2002, 05:37 PM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I know how you feel...

I had the chance to drive a chipped & lowered 93 Volvo 850 Turbo. Man, at first I am not use to that car, cuz it got snow tires on it, so the steering was kinda !@#!... non communicating I should say...

But once I got used to the car, I feel that I am sitting so high in my TL, Even when I have the seat in my TL at the lowerest...

I personally like to sit low in a car. The car had everything that we have in the TL pretty much, and it's got dual climate control, TCS, Sports/Econ, Winter mode(which can be very useful in Canada). The chasis is SO MUCH stiffer then the TL. And I mean the chasis not the suspension. It made the frame of my TL feel like soft rubber. You will know the difference when you go over a speedbump.

Not to mention the LOW END TORQUE on that thing (well of course since it's a Turbo car). Keep in mind that it's a 8 years old car with about 84500 Miles on it...

There's really something about the European car...

P.S. the telescoping steering wheel is really handy for a people like me with long legs...
Old 01-21-2002, 06:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Shimmy problem is quiet common on the e39.

About 30-50% of the E39 has this mysterious shimmy.

As far as automatic is slow? It depends on which year. The new '01 benefited greatly from the throttle by wire. A 530i Steptronic actually can pull 0-60 in about 7 second, acutally faster than stock TL.
Old 01-21-2002, 07:51 PM
Burning Brakes

I'm glad you're happy. I traded in a '97 C36 AMG for my TL-S and I guess you and I have different expectations. I didn't view the TL-S as "downgrading" and it is a great car to drive. The M-B had strengths, some of them you also mentioned in reviewing your BMW, but the TL-S has strengths also. Not the least of which is value when you compare the purchase prices of an M-B or BMW when new.
Old 01-21-2002, 10:59 PM
Suzuka Master

AMG is not BMW....get yo shiet straight...
Old 01-21-2002, 11:43 PM
Burning Brakes

I understand how you feel. Purchasing a 5 Series BMW is an upgrade from our cars. (I think).

I'm sure you are happy with the BMW, I would probably be too. If I were to buy a BMW it would have to be a 540i. I just don't like the 528. That would be like buying a 318ti (I know they don;t make them anymore) instead of the BMW 328i or 330.

My next car hopefully will be a Type-S, Audi A6, or a BMW 540. We will see... But good look with your BMW!
Old 01-22-2002, 12:31 AM
Pro

yeah.. 5 series is da bomb but it has to be atleast 540i.
Old 01-22-2002, 09:10 AM
Burning Brakes

"AMG is not BMW....get yo shiet straight..."

My fecal matter is completely linear; accordingly I employed the conjunction 'or' in my query.

For the rest of you folks who said you'd get the Bimmer only if you could pony up for the 540 I understand - the 540 is a beast! However, the 528 is not the red-haired stepchild you think it to be: markets other than the USA also have a 520 in the lineup making the 528/530 the second-tier model.

Another consideration in the ongoing V8 versus I6 BMW debate is the steering rack. I6 models employ a modern rack-and-pinion mechanism, while V8s including the vaunted M5 use a recirculating ball mechanism that is essentially the same as what Ford used in the Model T nearly a century ago. I cantell you that the difference is definitely discernable, and the result is that the I6 Bimmers have a better "feel" for the road through the wheel.

Again, you gotta drive one to understand. In a lot of ways the Bimmer handles better thn my old RX-7. It's a cheesy metaphor, but turning the steering wheel feels surgically precise.
Old 01-22-2002, 11:06 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
BMW and Acura are 2 different companies aimed at different sections of the market. If Acura didnt want to be affordable lucury, I'm sure that Honda would be able to make cars just as good as BMW or Mercedes. But, Acura is for people that cant afford Mercedes or BMW but want a nice and reliable luxury car. I still dont get why Acura has the RSX and not honda, but mostly its affordable luxury.
Old 01-22-2002, 02:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

Hey, Gomez i remember you. Glad to see you are happy with the BMW. Before the TL i test drove a 2001 528 5sp. I actually loved the car EXCEPT for the interior COLOR. It was white and it had that god awful "yellow" interior. Im not sure of the official name of it but you get my point. Good luck to ya.
Old 01-23-2002, 10:37 AM
...and then there was One

Originally posted by bigman
I still dont get why Acura has the RSX and not honda.
I agree.

Anyway, Gomez, glad to see you are happy. I remember you posting your problems, and it sounds like you made the right move. Pics?
Old 01-23-2002, 10:51 AM
Burning Brakes

my g/f has a 528 automatic. i definitely agree the interior is like comparing apples to oranges when i go from my tl to that car. it just feels like it costs a lot more when it really isnt that much. since hers is an automatic it is pretty slow but once at highway speeds it is actually pretty decent. the most noticeable difference when driving both is how much more solid the bmw feels. no rattles over bumps ( at least in hers ) and the steering puts you in direct connection with the road.
Old 01-23-2002, 11:33 AM
Three Wheelin'

AMG is Mercedes!

DINAN does BMW's.. Get it right.
Old 01-23-2002, 11:34 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by liutang
AMG is Mercedes!

DINAN does BMW's.. Get it right.
Ooops.. my bad. I see that's been brought to your attention already.
Old 01-23-2002, 11:44 AM
Pro

Re: Update report from a TL to 528i defector

I personally prefer brand new to a used car except for cars priced 80k or more. You never know what kind of problem a used car have owning a fresh car from the start you can notice on problems that you have,also I have the paranoia that previous owner might puked or jerked off in the car (i.e Daverman's dog puke), or did some other nasty thing.
Old 01-23-2002, 11:47 AM
Burning Brakes

Re: Re: Update report from a TL to 528i defector

Originally posted by BostonTL
I personally prefer brand new to a used car except for cars priced 80k or more. You never know what kind of problem a used car have owning a fresh car from the start you can notice on problems that you have,also I have the paranoia that previous owner might puked or jerked off in the car (i.e Daverman's dog puke), or did some other nasty thing.
Good Point....
Old 01-23-2002, 05:56 PM
GO SEMINOLES!!!

Originally posted by liutang

Ooops.. my bad. I see that's been brought to your attention already.
ok, if you want to get picky, MB also has brabus, n BMW has AC, Hamann, Hartge, Alpina..............anyways, good luck, i wanted a Bimmer but the lower 5s weren't that fast, in my opinion, and the lower 3s weren't either, also mods costs a fecal load of $$ get a remus ehast though, they're a nice mod, and prolly be my first if i had a bimmer.
Old 01-24-2002, 02:30 AM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by Blazin TL

ok, if you want to get picky, MB also has brabus, n BMW has AC, Hamann, Hartge, Alpina..............anyways, good luck, i wanted a Bimmer but the lower 5s weren't that fast, in my opinion, and the lower 3s weren't either, also mods costs a fecal load of $$ get a remus ehast though, they're a nice mod, and prolly be my first if i had a bimmer.
to get REALLY PICKY... Alpina is more like Ruf for Porsche. Alpina is offically a car maker instead of tuner:p
Old 01-24-2002, 07:22 PM
GO SEMINOLES!!!

Originally posted by SL1200MK4

to get REALLY PICKY... Alpina is more like Ruf for Porsche. Alpina is offically a car maker instead of tuner:p
to me it's more like a tuner, with their new 3 series along with older bimmers that they made along with their small collection of BMW exclusive wheels, RUF tune porsches just like all those different tuners tuning the mustangs...whatever, too much thinking for me