UPDATE: The 6MT swap is coming to completion!

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 02:41 PM
OM NOM NOM NOM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
UPDATE: The 6MT swap is coming to completion!

Hey guys. I can almost say the car is completely finished. Starter came in on friday and the ECU was re keyed for my car on Saturday. all the work was completely finished on Monday and the car was fired up. Everything is running, but the flywheel is bent, so we put in an order for a flywheel. The flywheel should be in town on friday, and I should finally be driving my car and taking pictures for all you people who have been waiting for the last 5 weeks then as well.
Old 04-29-2008, 03:06 PM
B A N N E D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
whatever till i dont see it i wont believe you lol... sooo start showing so PICTURESSS
Old 04-29-2008, 03:09 PM
OM NOM NOM NOM

haha! honestly, i dont have pictures. the shop is in gilroy, and i'm in davis (130 miles away). i do have some shots of the car when it was ripped apart for the swap. i'll post them in a sec. this was taken about 2 weeks ago. lol
Old 04-29-2008, 03:09 PM
Low and Slow

Congrats. I wish I had money.
Old 04-29-2008, 03:17 PM
OM NOM NOM NOM

I did my swap for cheap. Picked up the front clip of a cl for 1600+ motor mounts+misc. parts + labor.
Old 04-29-2008, 03:21 PM
OM NOM NOM NOM

heres some pics of the car in progress about 2-3 weeks ago.

cluster already swapped into the tl

shifter

empty engine bay

tranny pics

motor out of bay for the 6mt sensor/crankshaft pulley conversion
Old 04-29-2008, 03:23 PM
OM NOM NOM NOM

i hope you believe me now. at least just a bit.
Old 04-29-2008, 03:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Cool. Why was the flywheel bent? Didn't you get a new flywheel ? These flywheels are ment to be replaced with clutches. They arent machinable .
Old 04-29-2008, 03:58 PM
Low and Slow

Wow, where'd you run across the entire clip for 1600......
Old 04-29-2008, 04:22 PM
B A N N E D

i still dont't believe you still the PROJECT is done! LOL
Old 04-29-2008, 05:41 PM
Porkchop Sandwiches!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
WOW dude congrats!! You, ksuchdeve, and of course Kris got me crappin my pants to do it this summer. Im just prowlin for a sick deal like you got!
Old 04-29-2008, 06:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
How much is the total cost so far, parts and labor? I'm amazed you found such a low mileage engine.
Old 04-29-2008, 06:55 PM
USDM UA5 A-Spec

Sweet.... damn it looks like a lot of hard work but well worth it
Old 04-29-2008, 07:14 PM
T-Swzy

it's a trend amongst TLs to go above and beyond now
Old 04-29-2008, 07:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Bummer you bought a new starter, I have that and other good parts from a stripped down cl. looks good though!

BTW, i have a good used comptech aluminum flywheel in the black market that's ready for a new home.
Old 04-29-2008, 07:33 PM
USDM UA5 A-Spec

When you get the chance, let me know who did the job for ya and if you are happy with them. Going to be doing the 6 speed myself real soon. I hope I can save more money by not having to buy motor. How much the whole project run ya?
Old 04-29-2008, 07:58 PM
No He Can't

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Old 04-29-2008, 08:04 PM
MP90 uninstalled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
did a shop vac explode in the car after you put the gauges in?
Old 04-29-2008, 08:26 PM
Drifting

prolly from sittin in a body shop
Old 04-30-2008, 12:31 AM
OM NOM NOM NOM

You know how i told you there was a crack on my transmission right? well, apparently, it was more then that. the engine was cracked too. bottom side, so im guessing the flywheel was bent due to those cracks. I kept the original clutch and flywheel from that CL however, because it looked really clean with lots and lots of meat left. The car only had 32k on it. I picked up a used one from car-part.com just to get my car going. the flywheel i'm picking up had about 45k on it, so i'm hoping it's still usable. We'll see when it comes home this friday.

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Cool. Why was the flywheel bent? Didn't you get a new flywheel ? These flywheels are ment to be replaced with clutches. They arent machinable .
Old 04-30-2008, 12:39 AM
MP90 uninstalled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Phrosttz0
prolly from sittin in a body shop
Put a tarp over it or roll the windows up on that bad boy! Damn son!

How did you fix the cracked trans and engine??????????????? Did you replace the casing$$$$$?
Old 04-30-2008, 12:51 AM
OM NOM NOM NOM

I got really lucky. In San Jose, there's a junkyard called B-2 dismantling. The guy originally sold the front clip for 1700 and 2000 including the ecu when i asked him about it 3 months ago. then about two months down the road, my tranny died, and i dropped by the junkyard to see if it's still there. apparently, no one wanted it. maybe cause they knew about the crack in the tranny and engine?. I finally had a reason to buy it so i haggled him down to 1600 with the ecu. I paid him cash, and he followed through. Keep in mind, i purchased this whole thing without the engine because i already had the TL-S motor. However, he agreed to let me tow the whole car back to the shop and for me to swap out the sensors on the engine needed for the swap, and in return, i have to swap in my non 6mt sensors to make it even (i'd say its a fair trade ). took the car home, ripped it apart, found a cracked tranny and called him back. he agreed to pay me back a grand, and i ordered a new tranny for 1100.

basically, i paid 600 dollars for all my sensors, harnesses, dash, shift, and everything else.

among those things, picked up all new engine mounts and the flywheel, and everything came out to about 2100 for parts.

The shop i took my car to belonged to my best friend's brother, and he agreed to do the car for me for 1 grand.

Since some stupid ass trunk in my apartment complex rammed into my driver side fender and chipped off a shitload of paint from my driver side door, i asked him to repair my fender, paint my door, paint my fender, and paint my front bumper because of all the rock chips from long distance driving. since i'm doing the swap with him, he gave me a discount and did the job for me for 500 including paint and labor.

my total swap cost + the dent fix and painjob =
+ 500

Originally Posted by ryebreadisme
Wow, where'd you run across the entire clip for 1600......
Old 04-30-2008, 12:52 AM
OM NOM NOM NOM

you'll see. ill make you jealous this weekend

Originally Posted by Cisko TLS
i still dont't believe you still the PROJECT is done! LOL
Old 04-30-2008, 12:57 AM
USDM UA5 A-Spec

Originally Posted by heyitsvu
I got really lucky. In San Jose, there's a junkyard called B-2 dismantling. The guy originally sold the front clip for 1700 and 2000 including the ecu when i asked him about it 3 months ago. then about two months down the road, my tranny died, and i dropped by the junkyard to see if it's still there. apparently, no one wanted it. maybe cause they knew about the crack in the tranny and engine?. I finally had a reason to buy it so i haggled him down to 1600 with the ecu. I paid him cash, and he followed through. Keep in mind, i purchased this whole thing without the engine because i already had the TL-S motor. However, he agreed to let me tow the whole car back to the shop and for me to swap out the sensors on the engine needed for the swap, and in return, i have to swap in my non 6mt sensors to make it even (i'd say its a fair trade ). took the car home, ripped it apart, found a cracked tranny and called him back. he agreed to pay me back a grand, and i ordered a new tranny for 1100.

basically, i paid 600 dollars for all my sensors, harnesses, dash, shift, and everything else.

among those things, picked up all new engine mounts and the flywheel, and everything came out to about 2100 for parts.

The shop i took my car to belonged to my best friend's brother, and he agreed to do the car for me for 1 grand.

Since some stupid ass trunk in my apartment complex rammed into my driver side fender and chipped off a shitload of paint from my driver side door, i asked him to repair my fender, paint my door, paint my fender, and paint my front bumper because of all the rock chips from long distance driving. since i'm doing the swap with him, he gave me a discount and did the job for me for 500 including paint and labor.

my total swap cost + the dent fix and painjob =
+ 500

That is a steal considering labor already in. BTW, what did you start with, your description says ur are a CL-S 6spd + 2 doors so either ur a TL-P or TL-S from the start. My guess is TL-P since you said you bought a motor. I'm trying to figure out how much I really need aside from the tranny, harness, ecu + keys.
Old 04-30-2008, 01:03 AM
OM NOM NOM NOM

He doesn't do normal jobs like everyone else. I'm his bro's best friend so he took me in. The shop is in San Martin (gilroy). He basically purchases salvaged cars, fixes it up, and sells it for profit. thats 99% of his revenue. the other 1% is from special projects like mine and close others. He said the thing he hated the most about doing my tranny swap is the electrical system. it's a one of a kind job. He's done tranny swaps and motor swaps before, but never has he mated a CL 6mt to a Tl. In fact, when i told him it was possible, he didn't even believe me! i showed him (kris) fsttyms1's conversion and notes and got kris to answer a buncha questions for me. Then he finally agreed to do it. hahah

Originally Posted by BiggyMcWang
When you get the chance, let me know who did the job for ya and if you are happy with them. Going to be doing the 6 speed myself real soon. I hope I can save more money by not having to buy motor. How much the whole project run ya?
Old 04-30-2008, 01:05 AM
OM NOM NOM NOM

Nope, I have an 03 TL-S. lol. You know you like my description

Originally Posted by BiggyMcWang
That is a steal considering labor already in. BTW, what did you start with, your description says ur are a CL-S 6spd + 2 doors so either ur a TL-P or TL-S from the start. My guess is TL-P since you said you bought a motor. I'm trying to figure out how much I really need aside from the tranny, harness, ecu + keys.
Old 04-30-2008, 01:07 AM
OM NOM NOM NOM

Sometimes, if you're nice to the people at the dealership, they'll cut you a deal on rekeying your ECU. Sometimes they might even do it free. I didn't have to deal with that because the mechanic at the shop knows people who do ECU reprogramming, so they came to us and rekeyed the car for us. Originally i dropped by Gavilan (gilroy) Honda. I was really nice to them, and I had a chat with the mechanics. The mechanic told me that if I can tow my car to the dealer, they'll do it for me for free. When i went back to talk to my mechanic, he told me don't trip, hes got it taken care of.
Old 04-30-2008, 01:35 AM
USDM UA5 A-Spec

We shall see how this goes. Tranny is slipping again and if it holds out 2 more years I might just get a new car and use money on that or its mods. If earlier, I don't intend to burn 20k+ so I'll do the swap.

I'd love to see ur car sometime man, just to admire stick since that was what I learned to drive on. I have been bored to tears on an auto for 5 years, love the car but yeah, left leg is lonesome. + i want the LSD to squeeze more HP to the wheels.
Old 04-30-2008, 02:14 AM
OM NOM NOM NOM

I'd say go with the swap. It's such a nice car man. My dream car since i was 16 when the 99 tl came out. I was always a fan of the acura legend, and when they brought the 2nd gen tl to life, i thought i was dreaming. look at the similarity of the two cars. Now i get the best of both worlds. My favorite car, mated to a 6mt from a CL. My dreams have come true.

My pop's never approved of me getting a stick. Now he has no say in it. haha
Old 04-30-2008, 02:14 AM
OM NOM NOM NOM

kinda better this way. at least i know my tranny wont blow up again anytime soon.
Old 04-30-2008, 03:04 AM
USDM UA5 A-Spec

Of course... we both started in the same boat (no bun intended ) in that we loved the legend. I only liked the 4 door one too so I guess that's why I'm a 4 door fanatic. Plus the ultimate sedan for me is the E39 M5 but it was way too expenive.

Yeah the swap will come I think, money isn't a problem these days after college... it's TIME... I had hella time in College/HS but no money, now money but no TIME... so gay. Can you compile a list of the parts you got for me if it isn't too much trouble. I better start gathering used parts sometime soon before it does break and I'm screwed with $5000 in new parts everything wishing I went early shopping. If you can't all good, it was a big list I made but I can't confirm exactly what the differences are between the TL-P and TL-S requirements for 6speed swap.
Old 04-30-2008, 05:07 AM
OM NOM NOM NOM

As soon as friday hits and i pick up my car, I'll get you a listing of what i used. Its pretty much the same list that Kris (fsttyms1) has sticked onto the front page of this forum. used the CL's harness and spliced into the wiring to make the rear doors work. I'll verify all the information you need when i talk to my mechanic this weekend.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:13 AM
Three Wheelin'

Congrats on the swap. It makes me wanna do this so bad the more and more I read about it being done......
Old 04-30-2008, 07:47 AM
Tristate ViP Crew

congrats..the tl was made to be a 6spd, the car is a whole new animal in stick form.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:30 AM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Wow! Glad you were able to get it done for a reasonable price. Can't wait to see the pics!!
Old 04-30-2008, 11:33 AM
USDM UA5 A-Spec

Originally Posted by heyitsvu
As soon as friday hits and i pick up my car, I'll get you a listing of what i used. Its pretty much the same list that Kris (fsttyms1) has sticked onto the front page of this forum. used the CL's harness and spliced into the wiring to make the rear doors work. I'll verify all the information you need when i talk to my mechanic this weekend.
Yeah I got his list, but I got confused about the Type S portion as to include, exclude, or what not. Maybe I saw a prelim list before Kris polished it up. Whatever the case, I might have more than I need actually. Thanks man and take pics!!
Old 04-30-2008, 12:47 PM
OM NOM NOM NOM

Originally Posted by jproy
Put a tarp over it or roll the windows up on that bad boy! Damn son!

How did you fix the cracked trans and engine??????????????? Did you replace the casing$$$$$?
i didnt fix it. i have a type s. i ordered a new tranny on car-part.com and the swapped out the sensors from the cls motor
Old 04-30-2008, 01:02 PM
OM NOM NOM NOM

so you have parts already biggy
Old 05-02-2008, 06:41 AM
OM NOM NOM NOM

So the day begins..... I can't wait to see my car. I might not make it home in time to pick up my car tomorrow, so pictures will be up on Saturday. Cisko, I will prove you wrong and shame you!
Old 05-02-2008, 09:47 AM
No He Can't

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Can't wait to see another transformation

Quick Reply: UPDATE: The 6MT swap is coming to completion!