Undocumented Nav Feature!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2001, 06:20 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Undocumented Nav Feature!

I read thru all the literature when I got my car, but just discovered something which I don't think is in the manual. When the screen which presents the "shutdown" option is being displayed, you can touch the clock time to switch between a large and small (default) time on the display. This mode is remembered and the large display looks kind of neat when the unit is simply operating in a clock display mode. Give it a try!
Old 06-07-2001, 07:51 AM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Thanks Nick, Done it!

------------------
Those who know, don't talk.
Old 06-07-2001, 12:43 PM
Racer

wish they have different fonts and color for the clock......
Most important of all....I want that clock to be displayed at a touch even when I'm in navigation mode.
Old 06-07-2001, 01:39 PM
Purchased: April 28, 2001

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That feature is in the manual. That's how I was able to figure it out before this post.

------------------
2002 3.2 TL Type S with Navigation
Exterior: Aegean Blue Pearl
At 3% over invoice, who can complain?
Old 06-07-2001, 05:12 PM
Instructor

Red face

You're right, edgalang, it's in there! When I stumbled across it, I went back and reread the clock section and I couldn't find it, but it's mentioned in a section up front where it describes the 'blank screen'.

Hey, did you know that the software doesn't recognize Daylight Savings Time like most PCs now a days do? Press a different time zone and it'll be off by an hour.
Old 06-07-2001, 05:15 PM
Instructor

Red face

... but then again, that's because it knows nothing about the date!
Old 06-07-2001, 05:53 PM
Instructor

Exclamation

Want some real undocumented stuff on the NAVI to play with? (NOTE: you could screw it up if you change some of these settings but it's neat to just view.)

After pressing OK on the disclaimer screen, Press and Hold, simultaniously, the MENU, MAP/GUIDE and CANCEL buttons. Hold all 3 buttons for about 5 seconds.

The screen changes to a diagnostic mode with lots of menus and things to change.

Some of the things are SYSTEM LINK, MONITOR CHECK, UNIT CHECK, TIRE-CALIBRATE and YAW RATE.

MONITOR CHECK lets you adjust the colors of the navi monitor with test patterns and such and check the hard button switches and touch sensitivity of the screen (but not adjust the sensitivity.)

UNIT CHECK has some cool things like:

GPS--which shows, graphically, how many satelites your car is "seeing."

NAVI ECU is pretty cool and shows the status of things connected to the navi like the A/C and other componets.

SYSTEM HISTORY shows some sort of print-out like text that I don't understand.

CAR STATUS I believe shows the temperature of certain components (I think).

FORCE DOWNLOAD I didn't touch but sounds dangerous as does BACKUP CLEAR.

Have fun but don't change anything!
Old 06-07-2001, 06:44 PM
Purchased: April 28, 2001

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Now that I never saw in the books. Good job.

------------------
2002 3.2 TL Type S with Navigation
Exterior: Aegean Blue Pearl
At 3% over invoice, who can complain?
Old 06-07-2001, 09:58 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by davest:
Want some real undocumented stuff on the NAVI to play with? (NOTE: you could screw it up if you change some of these settings but it's neat to just view.)
The neatest thing I saw was the color palette adjustment. You can adjust the colors used to draw backgrounds and features. Midnight Neon display mode, anyone?
Old 06-08-2001, 04:22 PM

Talking

That's the beauty of this forum. All of you car genius' out there discovering new things about our car. This is truly the TL-S Underground of the car world.

Good work!

Any other adventurers out there?

------------------
2002 Acura TL-S
Navigation System
White Diamond Pearl
Factory Spoiler
Burlwood Shift Knob
Wheel Locks
Mud Flaps
Old 06-09-2001, 06:36 PM
Race Director

Two more "non-techie" features that might have been posted here already:

1.Touch the red triangle and all the stats on your current position is displayed.
2.You can hold down the joystick until the backlight adjusts bright or dim.

------------------
* 2001 Acura CL Type S * Blk/Blk * Navigator * Spoiler * Moonroof Visor *
* Since 3/31/2000 *
Road Warrior
Old 06-09-2001, 10:49 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by kensteele:

1.Touch the red triangle and all the stats on your current position is displayed.

You can also touch the satellite icon (upper left) to see the satellite info.

I especially like the split-screen display (turn prompting on the left, map on the right), but the Navi seems to want to go into full-screen prompting by default each time I enter a destination. Is there any way to set the split screen as the default?

Old 06-09-2001, 11:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

This is why you guys with TL Type-S version should read the TL fourum. I rememember posting about the Nav & Clock more than a few times. I found out about this back in 99 on my 2000 TL Navi. I guess I should say my 10yr old nephew found out about this playing with the Nav.

------------------
2000 3.2TL Nighthawk Black/Ebony/Navigation/ Optional Factory Chrome Multi Spoke 16" Wheels/Factory Underbody Kit/Factory Spoiler/Moonroof Visor/Factory 6-CD Changer/Trunk Mat/Factory Black Wheel Well Trim/Clifford IG8000 Alarm System w/add-ons/51% Tint/Weathertech Floormats /Michelin Arcctic Alpin Winter Tires on Stock Wheels/Factory Car Cover/Factory Gold Emblems Grille & Exhaust Tips
Old 06-10-2001, 10:14 AM
Pro

Lightbulb

Originally posted by kensteele:

Adding to this, if you position the joystick on any remote street (other than what you are currently driving on) anywhere on the screen (or outside the screen by scrolling) and click it, the NAV will show the name of the street and also its positional address.

This may be needed since the NAV by default does not indicate the names of remote streets on the screen.

After scrolling to other screens, if you want to return back to your previous position, click on MAP/Guide once again...

------------------
2000 Naples Gold 3.2TL/Navi - Factory Stock but with up-graded tires

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by hunter001 on June 10, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 06-10-2001, 11:21 PM
Pro

Unhappy

I have tried pressing all 3 buttons at once, a few times, and nothing happens! Anybody else try this and NOT get it to work?
Old 06-11-2001, 08:31 AM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally posted by davest:
Want some real undocumented stuff on the NAVI to play with? ....
I tried to go into the dianostic mode but I couldn't do it. Was that a real feature?

------------------
Those who know, don't talk.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by thephantom on June 11, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 06-11-2001, 04:48 PM
Instructor

Red face

Hmmmm...my version is 2.03. Perhaps they took it out?? Remember though, you must press the 3 buttons AFTER you press OK on the disclaimer screen otherwise it won't work. But perhaps they did remove/change it.
Old 06-11-2001, 04:58 PM
Instructor

Lightbulb

I just removed the DVD from the drive altogether and it still worked so the DVD version doesn't matter. However, with the DVD removed the procedure is a little different.

With the DVD ejected, press and HOLD the same 3 buttons for about 5 seconds while viewing the "Navigation door is open or no DVD installed" message is displayed.

Diagnostic Mode screen comes right up.
Old 06-11-2001, 09:33 PM
Intermediate

Originally posted by Nick:
davest -- Can you check your software/database versions? Seems that the current GPS being delivered doesn't have this backdoor entry mode. My versions are:

DB - ADB0720 & SW - 2.04

Thanx.
Initially, I couldn't get it to work either. I found out if I first press Menu (and keep it pressed), then Map/Guide (again, keeping BOTH pressed), and finally Cancel, so all three are then pressed down, it worked. It didn't seem to work when I pressed all three at the same time.

Who knows, could be that they changed it.

------------------
'02 Satin Silver Metallic TL Type S w/Navi
Old 06-11-2001, 10:57 PM
Pro

Wink

I got it to work, but a different way. I touched Setup on the lower screen, then pressed the 3 buttons and the diagnostic screen came up. I programmed mine to launch missles at Russia - now all I need are some missles!

------------------
'02 TL-S WDP/Parchment NAV
Old 06-11-2001, 11:15 PM
Racer

Talking

cool...never knew that. thanx

------------------
96 Lexus LS400
2002 Satin Silver TL-S W/Nav
  • Ebony interior wood kit
  • Ebony wood/leather steering wheel
  • 20% tint
  • Boston Acoustic speakers+tweeters
  • Kenwood 12" tube
  • OEM Body Kit
.......more to come
Old 06-11-2001, 11:38 PM
Instructor

davest -- Can you check your software/database versions? Seems that the current GPS being delivered doesn't have this backdoor entry mode. My versions are:

DB - ADB0720 & SW - 2.04

Thanx.
Old 06-12-2001, 01:38 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Nick:
... but then again, that's because it knows nothing about the date!
It does know the date, but it just doesn't display it. The GPS computer uses the date and time to estimate the location of the satellites and thereby acquire a position fix in a shorter time when you start up the car.

Acura could very easily have made our clocks update to DST, but I guess they didn't.

------------------
'01 Naples Gold TL with Navi
Interior wood trim kit
Custom aluminum mesh grill
Wings West 2-leg spoiler wing
Solar Gard Titanium Tint 43 all around.
Cuzo Hyperwhite hi beams.
Acura logo tire valve stem caps.
Old 06-12-2001, 05:23 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by DavidT:
if I first press Menu (and keep it pressed), then Map/Guide (again, keeping BOTH pressed), and finally Cancel, so all three are then pressed down, it worked.
That did the trick for me -- coooool!

And, there's even a display with the date on it!

Old 06-13-2001, 07:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by bebber:
It does know the date, but it just doesn't display it. The GPS computer uses the date and time to estimate the location of the satellites and thereby acquire a position fix in a shorter time when you start up the car.

Acura could very easily have made our clocks update to DST, but I guess they didn't.

This issue has come up before -- the Daylight savings time issue. I have a scenario for you -- OK?

Let say your house is half in Arizona and the other half in California. Now, let's say the dividing line for CA and AZ is in the middle of your driveway. Would you really want the NAVI changing your time based on where your parked (this is assuming that the driveway is wider than the >50 foot at-best accuracy of the commercial band signal).

Now, let's say your driving around the "area", would you like the car to switch times depending on "political" decisions?

The point I'm making is, it would be nuts to have the clock display bouncing all over the place depending on the GPS dithering and being on a boundary of two regions with different daylight time or time boundaries.

(And yes, they could have made the unit auto figure the DST, but...)

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by EricL on June 13, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 06-13-2001, 11:10 PM
Race Director

Plus as you guys probably know, DST is not observed in Arizona, so what happens when you cross that line and the time is not suppose to change?

Bottom line is YOU are responsible for changing the time. Why? Because if Acura build in some automatic, non-changeable process and that process changes over the next few year, you're gonna think the Acura people are pretty stupid for automatically changing your clock to the wrong time.

BTW, most all GPS devices have this problem. Even your digital phones sometimes. You can be standing in Arizona and your phone could be accessing a tower located in California. Wrong time on the display.

DST is stupid IMO and it's going to go away altogether one day [in our lifetime].

------------------
* 2001 Acura CL Type S * Blk/Blk * Navigator * Spoiler * Moonroof Visor *
* Since 3/31/2000 *
Road Warrior