Undocumented feature of fog light mod..

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2002, 10:32 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Undocumented feature of fog light mod..

Completed the fog light hack and when I disarmed the alarm I noticed the fog lites blinked with the side markers, which, IMHO looks pretty darn cool....
Old 01-29-2002, 10:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
Unfortunately if you leave your HIDs on and arm your alarm system after the HIDs auto turn-off, the HID's will blink also which is not good for the ballasts.

So arm the alarm before the HIDs turn off. Dont worry about deactivating the alarm, they wont blink, but will just turn on.

The fogss turning on is also a great aid with remote start systems. I can easily tell if my car started from pretty far away since I leave the fog light switch on.
Old 01-29-2002, 10:54 PM
Instructor

how?

How did you get your fogs to blink with your corners? I might mess with the wiring if it isn't too hard.

thanks.
Old 01-29-2002, 11:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

actually, the mod was aimed to have your fogs on together with the driving lights (meaning it turns on when you turn your light switch once). now the fogs only turns on with the head light when you turn it twice.

but this side effect is definitely cool though.
Old 01-29-2002, 11:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

Re: how?

Originally posted by jyang411
How did you get your fogs to blink with your corners? I might mess with the wiring if it isn't too hard.

thanks.
If you mean "on with your parking lights and not your turn signal, look at the F.A.Q. on the left side of this page and look for the "How to" on this easy mod.

Just an opinion but BTW. It may be negligible but increasing the on/off of the fogs that comes with arming/disarming would probably shorten the lifespan of the fogs some. It's really probably negligible but after spending some $$'s on a $50 set of bulbs that went out after maybe 5 months I manually turn the fog on and off after I replaced them with PIAA's. PIAA's are expensive but I sure love them
Old 01-29-2002, 11:57 PM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
that's because the fog switch is activated by the parking lights being turned on right (er, it was the wire you tapped)? if you don't want this to happen, you can tap a wire that is activated by the keys to stop this effect, and this will also prevent the fogs from remaining on after exit and draining the battery.
Old 01-30-2002, 10:31 AM
Racer

Originally posted by StanMan
that's because the fog switch is activated by the parking lights being turned on right (er, it was the wire you tapped)? if you don't want this to happen, you can tap a wire that is activated by the keys to stop this effect, and this will also prevent the fogs from remaining on after exit and draining the battery.
OK, but i would prefer it this way, an advantage is the one Mr. Hyde mentioned, but also it just looks freaken cool!!!!
Old 01-30-2002, 10:50 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Mr Hyde
Unfortunately if you leave your HIDs on and arm your alarm system after the HIDs auto turn-off, the HID's will blink also which is not good for the ballasts.
I've often wondered if rapidly turning the HIDs on and off would do any harm. The factory "alarm" flashes the HIDs along with the horn when it's set off -- would they design it that way if it was going to hurt something in the long run?
Old 01-30-2002, 04:35 PM
Banned

I just want to make sure everyone understands that with the fog light mod you *don't* have to have the fogs blink with the parking lights when you arm or disarm the alarm. Here's why:

If you turn the fog light switch off, the parking lights blink by themselves when you arm or disarm the car (like the way things worked before the mod).

If you leave the fog light switch on, the fog lights will blink with the parking lights when you arm or disarm the car. They will also come on and stay on with a remote start, since most remote starts activate the parking lights as a visual indicator from a distance that the car has started.

If you leave the fog light switch on as well as the headlights, the fog lights will blink with the parking lights when you arm and disarm the car. If the timer has expired and the headlights auto-off, when you arm the car the headlights, foglights and parking lights all blink together when arming the car. When you disarm, the foglights and parking lights will blink, but the headlights will just come on and stay on because you left them on.

No matter what position you leave the foglights in (on/off), if you turn the main lights completely off, the fogs go off as well, so you don't have to worry about them being on when the car is off. You need at least the parking lights on for them to have any power at all.

Some have questioned the impact such flashing will have on the ballast and/or Xenon bulbs in our HIDs. Although I cannot answer this one way or another consider this: With all lights off, if you flash the highbeams (like you would to pass someone), both the HIDs and the hi-beams flash on and off quickly together. If this were truly detrimental to the life of the bulbs, you would think Honda would have wired the lights to have just the hi-beams come on and flash by themselves. Plus, like RAdams pointed out, the factory alarm also flashes the lights like this when it is set off.

So if you like the idea of the fogs blinking when arming/disarming, then leave the foglight switch on. If you don't, shut it off.