Uh Oh. New Infinity I35 with 260HP!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2001, 08:26 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by vperkins2:
I'm a single, middle-income (70K), Republican and I'm always amazed how "fair" people who don't pay (as) much in income tax think the system is. I think the Prez is right, no one should pay more than a third of their salary in taxes! I'd go far as to say 25% is too high. And, unless I slept through my math classes, when tax brackets are reduced the folks getting reamed the most, er, I mean paying the most, will get the most back. This should not be a concept open to debate -- yet it is.

However, I think this latest "tax reduction" is too tame and spread over way too many years. I mean, what's stopping 'em from changing things two years or four years down the line?

Vincent
I couldn't agree more with everything you have said. The reason why some people think the way they do is the simple phrases the democrats stick too. Simple phrases such as "the rich need to pay their fair share" and "the riches 2% get most of the benefits" you here over and over on the news. These phrases are ingrained into the American public. Also, the Democrats use scare tactics such as the tax cut is going to cause the deficit to explode again. Meanwhile they are *****ing because Bush only wants to increase spending by a measly 3-4 percentage. The higher taxes are the more power the politicians have.

Now I really need to stop talking about politics on the Acura forum. : )
Old 06-05-2001, 08:29 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by thejavagod:

The blaming of rich people has to stop, Bush has done the right thing buy giving everyone a break and making the system fair..

No one is blaming the rich, they are entitled to their money, just as I would argue I am entitled to mine -- each and every penny, except for the fair taxes I'll gladly pay for the privileges of living in the United States. I agree that the most superior military/army/navy, etc. comes at a price, as do the luxuries we're allowed in this country, as do all the ideals stated in the Constitutions and the Bill of Rights!! God Bless this country, but let the middle class keep more of their money so they TOO can have a say in which direction this country goes. Maybe, with Steve's approval, our education and our hard work is worthy of that. Many people are confused as to who we're defining as "the rich." The middle class encompasses a lot more people than most people want to believe.

I'm sorry to hear about the pregnant 15 year old, but my parents and I came from the gutter, we worked our asses off over the years, and we aren't complaining about rich people -- we want to be there too! I'm sure you all feel the same. Three points over five years is nothing to be excited about, especially with surplus available.
Old 06-05-2001, 08:48 PM
Instructor

Any chance we can get back to talking about the souped-up-but-sure-to-be-slower-because-it-will-be-so-HEAVY-I35??

Automotive enthusiasts want to know!

Also, saw my first 2002 Q45 on the road the other day. Very sweet on the inside, but that body work over the rear wheel wells looks like shit - especially for over $50K. Just my $.02

------------------
2002 TL Type S
Nighthawk Black Pearl
Black interior
Old 06-05-2001, 09:00 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by PeterUbers:

>

If the working poor is hardly taxed because they hardly earn anything, why the hell do you tax them anyways, Stevie? Don't quite get that one ... but let's remember, the rich will get that 4.6 percentage reduction ..
Steve, I'm happy you've swallowed the Republican rhetoric, after all, it's only 1/3 of your paycheck. As far as the energy crisis .. was it under the George W. or the Clinton era that California began its rolling blackouts? Oh, happy motoring, and enjoy your TL-S.
I think we may have an agreement on one point. I don't think thr poor should be taxed either. However, I think our definitions of who the working poor are differ. You think the working poor are those that make $27,050 per year. I don't consider that to be poor nor does the government.

As far as the energy crisis that's CA's problem caused by all the environmental legistlation. As far as I'm concerned that's a state problem and not a federal issue.

Please answer this question. Why should a successful person be penalized by a higher tax rate? By the time you factor in federal, state and local taxes the wealthy are forking over nearly 50% of their income to the government. How is that fair?

Here's the facts on the Bush tax cut. These are facts. Dispute them all you want. You will still be wrong.

-Replacing the current tax rates of 15, 28, 31, 36, and 39.6 percent with a simplified rate structure of 10, 15, 25, and 33 percent
-Doubling the child tax credit to $1,000 per child and applying the credit to the Alternative Minimum Tax (AMT);
-Reducing the marriage penalty by reinstating the 10 percent deduction for two-earner couples;
-Eliminating the death tax;
-Expanding the charitable deduction to non-itemizers; and
-Making the Research and Experimentation (R&D) tax credit permanent

Back to enjoying my TL-S with 260 HP. If Al Gore got his way it would have an electric engine.

Old 06-05-2001, 09:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
Ok guys no more politics on TL-s forum.
Old 06-05-2001, 09:12 PM
Instructor

we worked our asses off over the years, and we aren't complaining about rich people -- we want to be there too! Three points over five years is nothing to be excited about, especially with surplus available.
Good for you for working your ass off. Guess what's going to happen if you work your ass off so much and become wealthy. You are going to be penalized. Does that make sense? I agree 3 points is not a lot but it's better than nothing. I'm sure the rates won't go back up after 5 years unless we have a Democratically controlled House at that time. You should be a Republican if you think a 3% tax cut is not enough because the Democrats won't pass a tax cut larger than that to any group! That I can guarantee.

I'm finished talking politics. Sorry.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by Steveb on June 05, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 06-05-2001, 10:31 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
Doctors in my experience are often very generous in spending other perople's money - sore loser? - letz stick to car talk, shall we?
Old 06-05-2001, 11:09 PM
Instructor

Wow, with $300, I can buy an air intake, and .. hmm.. some touch-up paint. I'd rather they saved all those checks we'll supposedly see (yeah right) and give 'em to Cheney, and maybe then he'll have enough money and won't have to dig so deep into his oil-drilling/smog-infesting compadres' pockets.

It's a done deal, if you filed taxes for 2000 you will be getting the check. And like I said that's only the beginning. Every tax rate will be cut starting this year.

Your point about Cheney makes no sense. The man is already very wealthy from working in the private sector. Who's got a better chance of being bought? A rich or poor man?

Anway, if you don't want the $300 check sign it over to me. That's about a 6 months supply of gas for my TL-S. : )

And by the way, if it wasn't for those "oil-drilling/smog-infesting compadres'" your TL-S(if you have one) would be useless. Are you going to produce your own fuel?
Old 06-06-2001, 12:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Get the altima. I just found out that the new Altima is riding on the new Japanese Skyline chassis.

There will be so much room for Altima to be modded. I think it would not be far fetched that new Skyline GTR engine can fit the new Altima. If I were nissan i wouldn't mind selling an infiniti version of souped up Altima with 400HP.
Old 06-06-2001, 01:46 PM
Safety Car

Hmmm... Skyline GTR .. a guy can dream, can't he?

Two cars that I'll gladly put in the ranks of the BMW M3:

Nissan Skyline GTR
Mitsubishi Lancer Evo III

If only they were in the US and performed as they did overseas .. whew!!
Old 06-06-2001, 11:28 PM
Safety Car

Doctors? Sore loser .. whatever.

It's all good, Republicans or Democrats, you guys can't be all that bad -- you bought the greatest car to be had for $30,000 -- the TL-S. Good point, back to car-talk!

As far as the I35, let's just summarize the points of comparison b/w the TL-S.

I35 TL-S
1. 4-spd auto vs. 5-spd
2. 246 lb-ft vs. 232 lb-ft
3. Weight? vs. 3553lbs
4. Real Wood vs. Fake Wood
5. Weight Ratio? vs. 62/38 (front/rear)
6. Stock Tires? vs. Micheline MXM4's
7. Nissan Quality vs. Honda Quality
8. Price of I? vs. $31,710

Let's remember, the current Maxima has 222hp, and in manual, it'll achieve 1/4's of 15.1, maybe very high 14's. O-60's are argued at 6.2-6.6 sec. I believe you can achieve 6.2 if you powershift, and launch properly at around 2500 rpms -- and seriously push each gear to redline (I could be wrong). However, with a4-speed automatic, the average 0-60mph drops to 8.0 seconds and I'm not sure what the 1/4's are, I believe they're at 15.8-16.0.

The TL-S, with 5sp auto is achieving 0-60's in the 6.4-6.9 seconds range (realistically) and 1/4's in the 14.8->15.2 range.

The Buick Regal GS has 240hp/280lb-ft. of torque and after racing my buddie's countless times now (especially after the TL-S racked up over 3000 miles) the result was the TL-S by 1/2 to 1 whole carlength to 90 mph (nearly 1/4mile), so let's just say they're dead-even. Here are the figures for the Buick GS:

0-60mph: 6.3-6.6
1/4-mile: 14.8->15.3

Note that this is with GOBS of low-end torque that I would have LOVED on the TL-S .. 280lb-ft @ ~3500rpms.. that rivals some V8's! Oh, and the best part -- it only has a beefed up 4-spd automatic. It weighs 3543lbs (according to Edmund's), so identical with the TL-S. The one thing I noticed on this car is that is peeled out EXCESSIVELY with Traction off .. for over 2 or 3 seconds easy. W/ better tires and bigger rims, he would have had a 1.5 to 2 carlength jump start on me -- but we're comparing stock vs. stock, right?

So, I guess the moral of the story is that the I35 has more hp, but significantly less torque than the GS, and not too much more than the TL-S. So, coupled with the 4-sp, I put it at about 6.8-7.4 seconds. And in the realm of street racing -- it could go either way b/w the TL-S and the I35.

I'd just LOVE to see what they price this baby at .. there is NO way they'll come close to $33,710 LOADED for a new I35 w/ Navi.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by PeterUbers on June 06, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 06-11-2001, 12:12 PM
Instructor

Talking

I hope the I35 isn't going to get the same 3.5 liter engine that currently pushes the QX4 0-60 in 9.6 yawn inducing seconds. The one rated at 240 but which a magazine reviewer said "feels more like 200". I love Infiniti, but their horsepower ratings usually seem a bit optimistic. I'd love to try the new Q45 though. :-)

Regards
-w
Old 06-11-2001, 04:49 PM
Advanced

Cool

wah! I think the New Q's interior is very incredible. Sharp maple-eye wood, with talented nav and geninue white leather. Something I have not seen in years. = ) just my 02 cents.

Acura's interior remains very sharp for it's value. though the wood quality remains questionable, still.... I think it's terrific. It's something to show Acura's heart for their loyal customer.
Old 06-11-2001, 05:01 PM
Advanced

oops seems like my topic is a little out to date. Infiniti actually produces pretty nice quality cars, I have an 01 QX4, I think it beats the RX300 in many ways = P.. (tho i am a lexus loyal customer)
If I35 uses the same engine as the QX4 that babe will sure be fast, cuz i feel that whole 240 hp in my QX4, and if nissan claims that they have 260, I'd tend to believe it.
Both Nissan and Honda are top notched quality cars, My QX4 hasn't had any problem, so is my friend's acura TLS. i think you can't go wrong with either one.
I believe the price you can get for the I35 will be very flexible, they don't do well these years, they will try their best to sell their cars at all costs .= )

I got my fully load 01 QX4 with nav and HID, at incredible 41000. out the door. hehehe. I think the saleman face turned so green when i got the car. oh well, their lost is your gain. so why not?

Drove the TLS, love anything but its styling.