Type S Manual?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2001, 08:49 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Type S Manual?

I posted yesterday to see if anyone had any pricing info on the Type S manual. To my surprise, some said Acura had scrapped the idea to put out a manual type S. Last I read (on this forum, and a couple of articles), a manual type S was due out in September.

Can someone help me out here? What's the latest? I REALLY want a manual!

Thanks
Old 07-03-2001, 09:03 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
The CL is first, expected to be next year as model year 2003. I would think that the TL, if it were to be in manual, wouldn't show up till late 2003 as model year 2004.

Based on past history, they are very reluctant to put manuals in sedans. They don't sell.
Old 07-03-2001, 09:08 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
re: Manual

That was me who said don't expect a manual.... below is my reply....

"Well, if what everyone has been saying is true (both dealers and users), don't expect a manual transmission on the TL until 2003 at the earliest. The 6-speed for the CL was also scrapped, and probably won't happen until around the same time as the TL......"

It was confirmed by Wayne from Park Acura on the CL board(I don't normally trust dealers....but he knows his stuff) that there is no manual due out this year for either car. The 2002 TL was released in March of this year, so the 2003 won't be out until Sept. of 2002, just like they did with the 01 CL (released in March of 2000, 2002 out this Sept.). As for the CL getting a manual, according to Wayne, there is no "code" for it meaning they don't show it as available. For example, when I went into my dealer in January to ask about the TL-S, they had a "code" for it, so they knew it was coming. For the 2002, there is no code for a manual, only auto. I truly believe that you'll see a manual for both of these cars, I just don't think you'll see them until next year (for 2003) at the EARLIEST. I could be wrong as I just get my information from others, but realisticly, I don't see a manual until the redesigns happen, it just makes sense.....
Old 07-04-2001, 07:59 AM
Pro

Re: re: Manual

Originally posted by juniorbean
That was me who said don't expect a manual.... below is my reply....

It was confirmed by Wayne from Park Acura on the CL board(I don't normally trust dealers....but he knows his stuff) that there is no manual due out this year for either car. The 2002 TL was released in March of this year, so the 2003 won't be out until Sept. of 2002, just like they did with the 01 CL (released in March of 2000, 2002 out this Sept.). As for the CL getting a manual, according to Wayne, there is no "code" for it meaning they don't show it as available. For example, when I went into my dealer in January to ask about the TL-S, they had a "code" for it, so they knew it was coming. For the 2002, there is no code for a manual, only auto. I truly believe that you'll see a manual for both of these cars, I just don't think you'll see them until next year (for 2003) at the EARLIEST. I could be wrong as I just get my information from others, but realisticly, I don't see a manual until the redesigns happen, it just makes sense.....
This would be true, if not for the fact that other manufacturers like Nissan are egging Acura/Honda onto speeding up the manual manufacturing process, by bringing out pedestrian cars (Altima??) with performance that is equal to that of premium sport-tuned cars like the TL-s.....in the normal course of events, the manual would be here at the earliest during Fall, 2002...
Old 07-04-2001, 03:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

Let's all hope that the manual transmission, whether it shows up in the CL or TL first, is a mid-model year treat to us from Honda. They don't necessarily have to wait until the next model year to roll it out... (fingers crossed)