Old 06-08-2004, 08:34 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Type S camshaft?

Will the Type S camshaft fits for TL-P??and any gain in horse??Thanks guys
Old 06-08-2004, 09:01 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
I know the Accord V6 guys have replaced their stock cams with TypeS cams and see some decent gains. Not sure if anyone with a TLP has done it. I have it on my list of "things to do". I know the guys on the CL board are working on a custom grind of the TypeS cams.
Old 06-08-2004, 02:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

I believe (not 100% sure) that you need one of those a/f v-afc controllers as well to do the Type-S cam mod.
Old 06-08-2004, 02:47 PM
I got 99 Problems

you can get some decent hp gain with type s i think..
Old 06-08-2004, 06:16 PM
'99 Acura 3.2TL

initialD: if you end up getting Type-S cams, email me at quebectl@infoteck.qc.ca to tell me how they are!

@cUr@-TL
Old 06-08-2004, 10:41 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by @cUr@-TL
initialD: if you end up getting Type-S cams, email me at quebectl@infoteck.qc.ca to tell me how they are!

@cUr@-TL
Ok,i will,if i get them.but i really don't want to be the white mouse.Toocool are you from montreal?
Old 06-09-2004, 02:14 AM
i

a type s camshaft just opens up V-TEC earlier doesnt it?...V-AFC will do the same
Old 06-09-2004, 06:18 AM
'99 Acura 3.2TL

Originally Posted by initialD
Ok,i will,if i get them.but i really don't want to be the white mouse.Toocool are you from montreal?

i guess toocool is me

im from trois-rivieres

@cUr@-TL
Old 06-09-2004, 09:55 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
type us cams will give nice hp and tq numbersuntuned, but tuned will provide us with awesome gains, especially when combining it with either an mdx or a dual stage type s manifold. And the type d cams are not the same as a tuned vtec controller.
Old 06-09-2004, 04:59 PM
'99 Acura 3.2TL

Originally Posted by bigman
type us cams will give nice hp and tq numbersuntuned, but tuned will provide us with awesome gains, especially when combining it with either an mdx or a dual stage type s manifold. And the type d cams are not the same as a tuned vtec controller.

how much is "awesome" ?

let's say i get a throttle body/intake manifold spacer + Type S cams + V-AFC1, what kind of gain can i expect??

my goal is to reach 300hp without nitrous or s/c.

i already have intake/exhaust/headers/pulley.

@cUr@-TL
Old 06-09-2004, 06:23 PM
Pro

@cura@ expect something like 250-270hp with those mods if your lucky... you need higher compression to really kick up the higher hp and our fuel cutoff being 6900rpm doesnt really help that much...

theres 3 ways of getting 300hp+
one type s heads(whole asmbly) with mdx block easy and best choice imo and by putting type s heads you boost the compression ratio EVEN higher so you must run 93+ octane... your looking at ALOT more then 300hp with this setup like 320 maybe with woooooot alot more tq plus whatever other little mods you might want to do.

two build on the type s motor port the heads and intake maybe look into the unichip the cl boys are working on might get expensive if you want to get more hp out of it

3 lots of nos and s/c would do too
Old 06-09-2004, 06:25 PM
Pro

i dream about this every day... ive research the type s cams i dont think they're worth the money... youll spend 200$ on cams plus another 200$ to install em for maybe 10hp/10tq if even that.
Old 06-09-2004, 08:09 PM
'99 Acura 3.2TL

Originally Posted by elah
@cura@ expect something like 250-270hp with those mods if your lucky... you need higher compression to really kick up the higher hp and our fuel cutoff being 6900rpm doesnt really help that much...

well headers/intake/exhaust/pulley make a 99TL as fast as a (stock) type S.. so i guess all these mods bring the engine to around 260-270hp... then someone said he gained like 15hp (dyno proven) with his V-AFC, then the cams, then the throttle body/intake manifold spacer dyno proven to give 10whp.. so that's around 300hp..

i might do tb/manifold spacer this summer, then save up while my car's stored and next spring, get the cams and the V-AFC. then i'll see the dyno results and decide if i have to get Type S heads or not.

@cUr@-TL
Old 06-09-2004, 09:53 PM
Pro

how much is "awesome" ?

let's say i get a throttle body/intake manifold spacer + Type S cams + V-AFC1, what kind of gain can i expect??

my goal is to reach 300hp without nitrous or s/c.

i already have intake/exhaust/headers/pulley.

@cUr@-TL
Which brand of headers and pulley do you have?how much did you pay?and can you describe how you feel about them??merci beaucoup
Old 06-09-2004, 11:23 PM
Pro

throttle body and the spacer is a plasibo imo... what'd be interesting is get those cams someone mentioned earlier
Old 06-10-2004, 07:06 AM
'99 Acura 3.2TL

Which brand of headers and pulley do you have?how much did you pay?and can you describe how you feel about them??merci beaucoup

i have stainless steel OBX headers and the pulley is made by Unorthodox Racing.

The headers gave a nice increase in high rpm power (4000+).. at low rpm they dont do shit tho..

the pulley is very nice. it weights like 2 lbs, stockie weights around 10lbs! it makes the engine rev faster and it feels "freer". gave me some torque and hp

if you get headers, you might want to get an exhaust system too.. to further enhance the exhaust flow..

à la prochaine!

@cUr@-TL
Old 06-10-2004, 11:15 PM
Pro

i have stainless steel OBX headers and the pulley is made by Unorthodox Racing.

The headers gave a nice increase in high rpm power (4000+).. at low rpm they dont do shit tho..

the pulley is very nice. it weights like 2 lbs, stockie weights around 10lbs! it makes the engine rev faster and it feels "freer". gave me some torque and hp

if you get headers, you might want to get an exhaust system too.. to further enhance the exhaust flow..

à la prochaine!

@cUr@-TL
Where i can get them in Montreal?and the price??I think i will get the headers and pulley instead of the cams,because now i know cams won't work for our TL-P,if we change the cams we also have to change the piston for higher compression to get the power but thats not all,our ECU may have trouble for the higher compression,so ECS also have to be change,but i think there is always something after..so do you think we still dream or just buy the type s
Old 06-10-2004, 11:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Where i can get them in Montreal?and the price??I think i will get the headers and pulley instead of the cams,because now i know cams won't work for our TL-P,if we change the cams we also have to change the piston for higher compression to get the power but thats not all,our ECU may have trouble for the higher compression,so ECS also have to be change,but i think there is always something after..so do you think we still dream or just buy the type s
you dont need to bump up the compression. you can add the cams and (in theory if they are ground different) see a gain(with proper tuning) and the computer will be fine. you can also bump up the compression and the computer will work. i have done it on many other hondas just fine
Old 06-11-2004, 09:52 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

the cams will not give you an incredible peak number, but accord guys are getting 12-15 hp and likw 8-10 lbs ft of tq across the rpm band, and that is what we are looking fo. And with a/f tuning and some vtec adjustments you can flatten out the power curve
Old 06-11-2004, 08:30 PM
'99 Acura 3.2TL

go to any good performance shop and they should carry obx (or comptech) and Unorthodox Racing products.

@cUr@-TL
Old 06-11-2004, 11:19 PM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

What are you talking about, there are good gains from cams to be seen on a P. You dont need pistons, and if the stock ecu can handle a supercharger with some minor fuel upgrades, than higher compression shouldnt be much of a problem.
Old 06-12-2004, 02:40 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
What are you talking about, there are good gains from cams to be seen on a P. You dont need pistons, and if the stock ecu can handle a supercharger with some minor fuel upgrades, than higher compression shouldnt be much of a problem.
kinda like i said
Old 06-12-2004, 03:35 AM
Retired MOD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well headers/intake/exhaust/pulley make a 99TL as fast as a (stock) type S.. so i guess all these mods bring the engine to around 260-270hp... then someone said he gained like 15hp (dyno proven) with his V-AFC, then the cams, then the throttle body/intake manifold spacer dyno proven to give 10whp.. so that's around 300hp..

@cUr@-TL
I have headers/intake/exhaust/pulleys on my 99 TL.....there is no way I could be as fast as a stock type S.

you could get 300hp at the flywheel, but it be hard to the wheels without NOS or SC
Old 06-12-2004, 04:15 AM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by moahdriven
a type s camshaft just opens up V-TEC earlier doesnt it?...V-AFC will do the same
Not true. It doesn't matter whether it's a Type-S cam or a Premium cam. VTEC is engaged when the computer sends a electrostatic signal to the oil valve, therefore pressurizing the oil into the camshaft, and pushing out the VTEC lobes. There are two separate sets of lobes on VTEC cams. These lobes, of course, change the valve timing. Therefore, your assumption is incorrect.

The difference between the Type-S cam and the Premium cam is the lobe length and consequently the valve timing. But one simply cannot just slap on a Type-S cam and expect much increase. VTEC-equipped engines are complicated, and the differences between S and P are many. You have to make sure that everything is working right together in order to get maximum gain.

For instance, one of the guys in my car club has a D15 Civic and he just did an SOHC VTEC head swap. He knocked off 4/10 in the quarter, but of course there's much more potential. (He also had some other stuff done, so the 4/10 improvement didn't come only from the head swap.) It just isn't tuned right. He was an idiot in making the assumption that he could do a VTEC head swap and everything would work out nicely. In fact, he had previously run a 16.7 and was telling me how he's going to be running high 14's and beat my car. I guess he had set my car as a benchmark. It's not worthy enough to be anybody's benchmark, but whatever.

At the track, we lined up together and he ran a 16.3 and I ran a 14.5. He was pissed off at himself, and his friend Lucas for not doing the project right. They know more about VTEC and Honda engines than 95% of the population, but they are still amateurs. So now he has to spend 300 dollars a V-AFC II, and another 200 in dyno time to get his car professionally tuned. Even then, he'll see a mere extra 2/10 improvement in the quarter-mile at the most.

Now, this was an entire VTEC head swap. But we're only talking a cam swap here. VTEC engages at different RPM in S and P. That means you will have to get it tuned at a shop and compensate. That could cost 400-500 dollars just like my friend's case. And the performance gains will be less than that of his.

On the Premium model, I just don't think it's worth it. On the J30A1, yes. But only because the difference between J30A1 cam and J32A2 cam are much greater than that between J32A1 and J32A2 cams.

I would suggest saving the money and putting it toward something else.

Old 06-12-2004, 01:03 PM
'99 Acura 3.2TL

Originally Posted by Bitium
I have headers/intake/exhaust/pulleys on my 99 TL.....there is no way I could be as fast as a stock type S.

you could get 300hp at the flywheel, but it be hard to the wheels without NOS or SC

maybe your car is fucked up?

btw what kind of exhaust do you have? cuz i have a custom 2.5" magnaflow setup maybe that's why?!

@cUr@-TL
Old 06-12-2004, 01:50 PM
Pro

Pure: i thought the J30A1 used the similar heads as the J32A1 just bigger displacement thus the extra 25hp. now the J32A2 is a whole diff story
Old 06-12-2004, 04:26 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Right. They are all very similar. But my point was that the difference between J30A1 and J32A2 is much greater than the difference between J32A1 and J32A2.

In other words, you see bigger power gains on J30A1 than on J32A1, when you use J32A2 cam.

scalbert over on A-CL is working on a high performance cam. I don't know if he's doing both P and S, but definitely for S, I believe. I am anxiously waiting for that because cam swap usually gives a lot of power gain.
Old 06-12-2004, 04:36 PM
Retired MOD

maybe your car is fucked up?

btw what kind of exhaust do you have? cuz i have a custom 2.5" magnaflow setup maybe that's why?!

@cUr@-TL
well maybe you come close on the 1/4 mile, but on the highway with our gearing.....there is no way.

On the 99 TL, both 3rd and 4th gears are overdrive and second bearly makes over the 1:1 ratio.

99TL's also have a lower red line. The gains on the headers (30hp) is only after 6k RPM's our red line is 6.5K..

I doubt it is your magnaflow, you might beat my 99TL, but not a type S.

BTW on the 1/4 I never got less than 16.5, neither did my friend on his 99TL with a custom exhaust setup like yours. He had comptech headers and injen CAI and I had OBX headers and the intake we argue for hours. I always won the 1/4 mile.

Don't know where you are getting this info from, maybe you raced a type-S with a really bad driver.
Old 06-12-2004, 04:58 PM
Pro

scalbert is sick :bows:
Old 06-12-2004, 06:40 PM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

well maybe you come close on the 1/4 mile, but on the highway with our gearing.....there is no way.

On the 99 TL, both 3rd and 4th gears are overdrive and second bearly makes over the 1:1 ratio.

99TL's also have a lower red line. The gains on the headers (30hp) is only after 6k RPM's our red line is 6.5K..

BTW on the 1/4 I never got less than 16.5, neither did my friend on his 99TL with a custom exhaust setup like yours. He had comptech headers and injen CAI and I had OBX headers and the intake we argue for hours. I always won the 1/4 mile.

Don't know where you are getting this info from, maybe you raced a type-S with a really bad driver.
On a 99 1,2,3 are power gears and 4th is over drive. PM Rondog and ask him how my P pulled on his S when he shifted to 4th at 95 and i pulled 127 in 3rd. @nd and third are the strongest gear, with 4th being the tallest.
Old 06-12-2004, 06:42 PM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

DOnt know whats wrong with your car then, because i have a few members on the CL board that felt me on the highway.
Old 06-12-2004, 11:25 PM
'99 Acura 3.2TL

just like bigman said, our 3rd gear is pretty strong... and when shifted right, the 4th gear can be not so bad.. (considering it's an overdrive gear..).

and man, 16.5 for a TL-P with headers and intake is DEFINITLY not good. a stock TL-P (1999) should run like 15.5

get your car checked

@cUr@-TL
Old 06-13-2004, 03:06 PM
Retired MOD

On a 99 1,2,3 are power gears and 4th is over drive. PM Rondog and ask him how my P pulled on his S when he shifted to 4th at 95 and i pulled 127 in 3rd. @nd and third are the strongest gear, with 4th being the tallest.
You guys must be joking.....3rd is not strong just long.

about 127mph on 3rd....yeah ok

BTW this are the gear ratios of the 99 4spd TL:

1st 2.534
2nd 1.502
3rd 0.947
4th 0.608

how is 3rd a power gear
Old 06-13-2004, 05:09 PM
'99 Acura 3.2TL

You guys must be joking.....3rd is not strong just long.

about 127mph on 3rd....yeah ok

BTW this are the gear ratios of the 99 4spd TL:

1st 2.534
2nd 1.502
3rd 0.947
4th 0.608

how is 3rd a power gear

127 seems a bit high, i can go up to like 115 i think..

and the 3rd gear is pulling nice..

@cUr@-TL
Old 06-13-2004, 08:48 PM
Racer

i have a type-s cam with a tuned v-afc and it makes all the difference...i would get it you will be happy with the results
when it was all done i payed around $350 for the cam + install
pm me if you have any ?'s
btw i have a 99tl
-Eric
Old 06-14-2004, 02:29 AM
Retired MOD

@cUr@-TL
Yes it has a nice pull, but is not a strong gear.

I get my third in normal circustances to 110mph. If altitude and temp are in favors, I'm sure you could get a few more miles.

TLlikeWHOA:

I would like to have those cams....I'll PM you
Old 06-14-2004, 12:23 PM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

@cUr@-TL
I have alsso had Bihn(blackshadow) in the car with me when my car was doing 120 in thrid gear. i know speedo is not broken because i have had it on a dyno speed checker and it was pretty accurate. I also have enough people with S' who know how fast me car is. Maybe its a factory "freak" or maybe there is something wrong with yours. Not starting anything, but just letting you know how my car runs.
Old 06-14-2004, 06:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Actually with H/I/P you should really be pulling. Myself and some other guys are in the 14.8 to 15.1 range quarter mile and 6.7 or so 0 to 60 mph.
Old 06-14-2004, 07:53 PM
@ slide or die @

2nd and 3rd pull very good, if you look at the ratios, 3rd can be argued but you can tell is definetly not an overdrive and not quite a power gear. And, '99 redlines 3rd at 115-117, but it can be brought to 125 at 6500 (fuel cut-off at 7200).

It might seem like pushing past the limits but when you realy need to win, getting to 125 on third is MUCH faster than shifting at 115 and having 4th pull you there. i'd rather push my toy a bit than loose to a suped civic.

TLikeWHOA:
do you mean the cam gears or the camshaft????
if so, this is the answer to the entine thread, where did you get it?
Old 06-15-2004, 03:06 AM
Retired MOD

I have alsso had Bihn(blackshadow) in the car with me when my car was doing 120 in thrid gear. i know speedo is not broken because i have had it on a dyno speed checker and it was pretty accurate. I also have enough people with S' who know how fast me car is. Maybe its a factory "freak" or maybe there is something wrong with yours. Not starting anything, but just letting you know how my car runs.
I do trust bihn.....he used to claim 115mph on his 99 TL.

Anyway I will try to find a 1/4 mile track here in germany and do it again. The day kaman and myself ran at moroso it was very hot and 98% humidity.

For example our cars are limited to 149mph, but I know people going higer than that with the right conditions. Here is me hitting 154mph when the picture was taken, but actually hit 158mph.

Quick Reply: Type S camshaft?