Type S 2 weeks old and in the shop getting repainted... :(

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2001, 08:32 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Type S 2 weeks old and in the shop getting repainted... :(

Hey guys, this sucks.
Ive read up on the paint issues the 2002 TL-S are having. I was hoping id be immune to it, but not so lucky.

Ive got a very tiny chip on the hood from a rock that hit the chrome grill and pitted it and then hit the hood. Thats no biggie, i can touch that up. Somthing like that can be expected.

But what i found while washing the car suprised me. On the drivers side of the car directly above and to the left of the gas door was a chip about the size of a small peanut. Whats odd was there was no evidence of a ding or scratch to suggest a rock or anything else hit it. And whats weirder was that the chip was flaking fromn the back of the car toward the front. No if a rock hit it, it should peel bakwards toward the rear of the car, not the other way.

So i took it in on Monday to have the dealer look at it. He studied it for about 10 minutes, rubbing it, looking it at all angles and finally told me he was gonna have the body guy touch it up and hopefully they wouldnt have to repaint and blend it. Sounded good to me because id hate to have it come back after being blended and have the paint not match.

But the more i though of it, id rather have it repainted than have it just filled in with some paint on the end of a small brush.

So anyways, he tells me to bring it back wednesday. I dropped it off yesterday and was told id recieve a call that day. I never heard from them and when i left for home at 4:30, i called them.

They told me its at the body shop and that they are going to have to sand the quarter panel down and repaint the whole thing. And i wont get the car back until Friday afternoon.

No im scared. I dont want the car to come back all jacked up. Ive heard of some complaining about how hard WDP is to match. I have a sick feeling im gonna go in Friday and its gonna look like Taffeta white was used instead of WDP. You know what i mean?

If it doesnt look good, believe you me, I WILL NOT ACCEPT IT NOR WILL I BE DRIVNG IT HOME. Itll either stay there until its done right, or theyre taking the car back and replacing it.

Hopefully, itll turn out alright.

But besides this incident, I LOVE THE CAR! I have none of the other probelms you guys are having yet. Like squeaks, rattle, broken seat tracks, cd player problems. Although i only have 1500 miles on it.

(Oh yeah almost forgot, on a side note, i race my buddy's 98 GSR with i/e and beat him by 2 cars! Woohoo! i love this thing!)
Old 08-23-2001, 08:48 AM
Burning Brakes

Damn, that sucks. I hate hearing these stories -- they scare me.
Old 08-23-2001, 12:20 PM
Instructor

That does not sound too good. I would suggest you
make sure dealer will give you life-time-warranty on
the portion they repaint even they match the WDP
color. Just to be sure it won't has problem few years
down the road... Sometimes you just don't know the
quality of painting in those body shops...

-- william
Old 08-23-2001, 12:31 PM
Pro

Re: Type S 2 weeks old and in the shop getting repainted... :(

Originally posted by enderwiggins
Hey guys, this sucks.
Ive read up on the paint issues the 2002 TL-S are having. I was hoping id be immune to it, but not so lucky.

Ive got a very tiny chip on the hood from a rock that hit the chrome grill and pitted it and then hit the hood. Thats no biggie, i can touch that up. Somthing like that can be expected.

But what i found while washing the car suprised me. On the drivers side of the car directly above and to the left of the gas door was a chip about the size of a small peanut. Whats odd was there was no evidence of a ding or scratch to suggest a rock or anything else hit it. And whats weirder was that the chip was flaking fromn the back of the car toward the front. No if a rock hit it, it should peel bakwards toward the rear of the car, not the other way.

So i took it in on Monday to have the dealer look at it. He studied it for about 10 minutes, rubbing it, looking it at all angles and finally told me he was gonna have the body guy touch it up and hopefully they wouldnt have to repaint and blend it. Sounded good to me because id hate to have it come back after being blended and have the paint not match.

But the more i though of it, id rather have it repainted than have it just filled in with some paint on the end of a small brush.

So anyways, he tells me to bring it back wednesday. I dropped it off yesterday and was told id recieve a call that day. I never heard from them and when i left for home at 4:30, i called them.

They told me its at the body shop and that they are going to have to sand the quarter panel down and repaint the whole thing. And i wont get the car back until Friday afternoon.

Is all this work covered under warranty?
Old 08-23-2001, 01:19 PM
Intermediate

as far as i know its under warranty. dude never said anything like "its gonna cost you" or "youll have to pay for it".

All he said was, "We'll take car of you".

And thanks for the tip. im gonna ask for a warranty on the repainted part!
Old 08-23-2001, 09:23 PM
Racer

sh*t.... i just saw a chip on my hood the other day while i was washing it..... i better make sure it doesn't peel
Old 08-24-2001, 07:36 AM
Ex TL-S owner

Unhappy

That really sucks. I was going crazy over clumps of paint under the door handle. I wanted to get it fixed, but the only way would be to repaint the door. I didn't want to because the area affected is hard to see. I heard that silver and white TL's are hard to match. I hope everything goes well! Keep us/me posted.
Old 08-24-2001, 08:22 AM
Intermediate

well, impicking up the car this afternnon, ill let you guys know what happens.