Turning standard TL into type S

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2001, 03:22 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turning standard TL into type S

A couple of months ago I bought a TL. I didn't go with the type S, because I prefered spending the extra $2k on the navigation system. I'm wanting to increase the hp from 225 to 260. I'm assuming it's just a chip or programming needs to be done. Could someone point me in the right direction as to what I'll need to do in order to get max hp out of the 3.2 liter engine
Old 11-27-2001, 03:46 PM
O.G.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Turning standard TL into type S

Originally posted by FKNA
A couple of months ago I bought a TL. I didn't go with the type S, because I prefered spending the extra $2k on the navigation system. I'm wanting to increase the hp from 225 to 260. I'm assuming it's just a chip or programming needs to be done. Could someone point me in the right direction as to what I'll need to do in order to get max hp out of the 3.2 liter engine
You should have gotten the type-S to begin with. It was worth the extra $$$. There are no chip for our TL. What you can do is add intake/header/exhausts and that should push you up to type-S power.

Whatever you need, you can purchase it here at www.autocarparts.com
Tim runs this site and he is also the owner of that site. He has the best prices around.
Old 11-27-2001, 04:06 PM
Instructor

There was only ONE thing the Type S offered that I wanted (increased hp) and many things it had that I did NOT want. I don't like the low profile tires, the silver backed gages, preforated seats.
Old 11-27-2001, 04:08 PM
Banned

Re: Turning standard TL into type S

I'm assuming it's just a chip or programming needs to be don
You assumed wrong. Extra hp comes from a two stage intake, higher compression ratio, freer flowing exhaust...
Old 11-27-2001, 04:09 PM
Banned

There was only ONE thing the Type S offered that I wanted (increased hp) and many things it had that I did NOT want. I don't like the low profile tires, the silver backed gages, preforated seats.
You crazy? The only thing I could understand is the gauges...everything else is the mark of a more luxury/performence based car...
Old 11-27-2001, 04:51 PM
Instructor

Bioyuki....I'm not doubting you, but could you tell me where you found that information.

As far as being crazy, I wasn't looking for the "mark" of luxury/performance car. For the most part, it's a family car. Taking that into consideration, I didn't want the rougher ride that low profiles give. Besides, I don't like anything that draws attention to myself BEFORE I'm speeding.
Old 11-27-2001, 06:46 PM
Banned

Bioyuki....I'm not doubting you, but could you tell me where you found that information.

As far as being crazy, I wasn't looking for the "mark" of luxury/performance car. For the most part, it's a family car. Taking that into consideration, I didn't want the rougher ride that low profiles give. Besides, I don't like anything that draws attention to myself BEFORE I'm speeding.
Ehh IMO there really isn't a dif in ride quality between the TL-P and TL-S. As for the differences you can look in the TL brochure.
Old 11-27-2001, 09:59 PM
Drifting

The TLS doesn't have a rough ride at all! The TLP does have a more cushy ride, but I would much prefer the TLS ride any time.

Low profile tires haven't earned me any speeding tickets just yet. I don't think cops are paying any attention to your tire profile. They're too busy staring at their radar guns to say "hmm, they're 17 inch 50-ratio tires... must be a speeder."
Old 11-28-2001, 10:07 AM
Instructor

"The TLS doesn't have a rough ride at all! The TLP does have a more cushy ride, but I would much prefer the TLS ride any time."

And since it's more of a family car, it's that more "cushy" ride that I wanted.

N E way.....Hypertech needs to come out with a performanace module for the TL so I can get the hp that I desire.
Old 11-28-2001, 10:44 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Don't count on any chip anytime soon. The CL / TL have been out for years and there's not one yet. Plus, you wouldn't get the gains you want.

Like bioyuki said, the HP difference is from the two stage intake, higher compression ratio, freer flowing exhaust, etc. The only options you have right now is Comptech Headers and CAI. Since it's obviously a family car (from reading your posts), you may not want the CAI since it adds some engine noise, especially when accelerating (higher RPMs, not too noticable at cruising speeds). The headers will probably add around 20hp at the wheel since it's a TL-P (which is around 24 at the crank assuming 20% powerloss from the drivetrain) which would bring you to around 250ish. Like BlackShadow said, the only other things you can really do are the Intake and Exhaust, and you'll be near 260hp.

Good luck!!
Old 11-28-2001, 11:23 AM
Instructor

Thanks for all the input. I'll look into making those mods sometime next year.
Old 11-28-2001, 01:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
there's a chip...well an intire engine mangment sytem by AEM if you have 1800 large to burn also RES will be coming you're way soon enough..
Old 11-28-2001, 01:42 PM
wbr
Intermediate

I also have your same sentiments in regards to the TL-P vs. the TL-S. However, there are some minor mods that will enhance the performance of the TP-P. Change out your air filter for starters. I went with the K&N, but others are available. Depending on what report you read, this should be good for between 2-6 HP. There is a noticible difference (I think) in the throttle response after adding this mod. You can also get cold air intakes for an additional few HP, although I am unclear on the exact process of making theis mod. If you go with the headers and exhaust though, keep in mind you will increase the sound of the car, further adding to the increased chance of being noticed by police.
Old 11-28-2001, 01:48 PM
Instructor

K&N filter change is ALWAYS one of the first things I change out on a vehicle. I've been using them for years and love 'em. Just waiting for the stock filter to get dirty.

They only time I want the cops looking in my direction is AFTER I pass them up.....by then, it's too late for them to do anything.
Old 11-28-2001, 02:46 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,141 Likes on 816 Posts
K&N filter change is ALWAYS one of the first things I change out on a vehicle. I've been using them for years and love 'em. Just waiting for the stock filter to get dirty.

They only time I want the cops looking in my direction is AFTER I pass them up.....by then, it's too late for them to do anything.
Are you kidding ? I have seen a cop doing U-turn in the middle of the road to catch the speeding car on the opposite lane, even after going passsed it. But then it will take a lot of guts and SPEED to outrun the cop, if you dare.
Old 11-28-2001, 03:08 PM
Instructor

There was this state trooper that was going the same direction I was going on I-45. I passed him up doing about 140mph. I don't even know if he attempted to get me. I just put the pedal to the medal and kept on going.

Speed isn't all that important in losing a cop. Sure, it can play a role...but I've lost many cops in a '79 Ford Courier pickup. So one has to play it smart, don't try to out run them. Because you'll never be able to out run that radio they have. But instead, out smart them....you gotta lose them fast. They way I would out smart them when I had that Courier is I had a toggle switch hooked up to my brake lights. When being chased, I would flip that switch so my brake lights would not come on when making a turn. Worked like a charm every time.
Old 11-28-2001, 04:00 PM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
My uncle is a NY trooper and i told him your story about going 140, he said that troopers don't care if you are in a rocket going mach 1, they're still gonna chase your a$$. You sure it wasn't a County Cop. Troopers radars also log anything over 60 into their onboard computers. If there was a trap speed of 140 and the trooper returned to base with no ticket for that 140, he would be severely questioned and in trouble. This is why troopers don't give breaks as much as regular cops do. Cops are not monitored usually.
Old 11-28-2001, 04:29 PM
Instructor

He was definitely a state trooper, no doubt about it. I just don't know if he attempted to come after me or not. This occured out in the middle of nowhere and almost as soon as I passed him, I-45 curved. I also floored it and didn't slow down until I got to my exit, which was another 18 miles.
Old 11-28-2001, 04:45 PM
Racer

Is anybody else not buying this story, or is it just me?
Old 11-28-2001, 06:42 PM
Banned

"You should have gotten the type-S to begin with. It was worth the extra $$$. There are no chip for our TL. What you can do is add intake/header/exhausts and that should push you up to type-S power"

That's not exactly true...you can get a Unichip ECU addon for about $300 I believe...it will allow you to set quite a few things, and is supposed to give 30hp across the board...of course Acura can claim any warranty issue the ECU's fault and so it totally voids your warranty...I'll do it when my warranty dies...

"There was this state trooper that was going the same direction I was going on I-45. I passed him up doing about 140mph. I don't even know if he attempted to get me. I just put the pedal to the medal and kept on going. "

I hate to tell you this, but a cop is called a 5-0 descending from when they had their 5.0L engines, I believe in Stangs right guys? 140mph is nothing for them. I have seen cops in SoCal, who get cars from drug busts...reach speeds of easily over 200mph. Normal cops can get 170+ I believe.

"Speed isn't all that important in losing a cop. Sure, it can play a role...but I've lost many cops in a '79 Ford Courier pickup. So one has to play it smart, don't try to out run them. Because you'll never be able to out run that radio they have. But instead, out smart them....you gotta lose them fast. They way I would out smart them when I had that Courier is I had a toggle switch hooked up to my brake lights. When being chased, I would flip that switch so my brake lights would not come on when making a turn. Worked like a charm every time. "
That only works if he's so close behind you that he blows by the turn that you turn on...even then he'll radio in. And what about getting your liscence plate? Don't tell me that in the '79 Ford Courier you were able to stay far enough ahead of the cop so that he couldn't read your liscence plate...because if he gets it...they'll wait at your house and haul you to jail...

I'm not saying your story is false...just has some loose ends...don't start jumping on him now guys just because he has a hard-to-believe story...I have those a lot too...I just take a lot of pictures now for you all to see

Austin519
Old 11-29-2001, 09:22 AM
Instructor

"I hate to tell you this, but a cop is called a 5-0 descending from when they had their 5.0L engines, I believe in Stangs right guys? 140mph is nothing for them. I have seen cops in SoCal, who get cars from drug busts...reach speeds of easily over 200mph. Normal cops can get 170+ I believe."

If you re-read what I had posted, you will see where I said "I passed him up doing about 140mph. I don't even know if he attempted to get me. I just put the pedal to the medal and kept on going.".....meaning, when I passed him I was going 140mph. And when I put the pedal to the metal, I was going much fast. The car I was driving at the time was a 1970 Cutlass Supreme SX which also has a top speed in excess of 200mph.

Back in the day when I was driving my Ford Courier, you're so right....if they get the plate, you're SOL. And considering that truck could barely break 100mph one would have to use other tactics so the cop couldn't get close enough to read the plate. You gotta hit a neighborhood asap and you need to make LOTS of turns. And that's where being able to disable the brake lights comes in handy.

And if all else fails, I had another toy on that truck....a smoker. Ya know, what you see in the movies. Push the smoke button and tons of smoke comes out the back. Instead of a button, I had a toggle switch. Flip the switch, count to three then flip it back off. Couple of seconds later, here comes the smoke.

It was easy to make. Went to a junk yard and got a windshield wiper bottle with motor. Hooked the motor up to toggle switch, ran a hose to the carb....filled the bottle with tranny fluid. Works like a charm.

You also probably won't believe the flame thrower I had on it either. It served no purpose other than show. But again, it's easy to do. You drill a hole about 2 feet from the end of the exhaust. Install a spark plug. Have a separate coil for that spark plug, and a toggle switch hooked up to that coil. Flip the switch, coil gives spark to the plug which ignites unburned fuel coming through the exhaust.
Old 11-29-2001, 10:20 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Austin519
I hate to tell you this, but a cop is called a 5-0 descending from when they had their 5.0L engines, I believe in Stangs right guys?
This is starting to get waaaay OT but the West Coast slang "5-0" originally came from the 1970s television police series "Hawaii 5-0", long before 5.0L Mustangs were ever used as patrol cars.
Old 11-29-2001, 10:58 AM
Instructor

I checked out the engine management system by AEM http://www.aempower.com/ems.htm and only found 3.2CL listed, no 3.2TL. After reading about this product, it didn't give much information on what it would do for you.

I also checked out Unichip by ECU http://www.airpowersystems.com.au/unichip/unichip.htm and http://www.armadale4wd.com.au/products/unichip.htm which gave a pretty good picture of what you can expect with this chip. However, I did not find any specific application for the Acura TL
Old 11-29-2001, 01:21 PM
Burning Brakes

reach speeds of easily over 200mph. Normal cops can get 170+ I believe."

You are so full of $hit. What cop can go 200+ in what car? I don't know alot of cops rollin' around in Diablos. And you've SEEN this?!??! Yeah right. If you are going to lie in a post, at least try to make it sound HALFWAY honest.
Old 11-29-2001, 01:54 PM
O.G.

And if all else fails, I had another toy on that truck....a smoker. Ya know, what you see in the movies. Push the smoke button and tons of smoke comes out the back. Instead of a button, I had a toggle switch. Flip the switch, count to three then flip it back off. Couple of seconds later, here comes the smoke.

You also probably won't believe the flame thrower I had on it either. It served no purpose other than show. But again, it's easy to do. You drill a hole about 2 feet from the end of the exhaust. Install a spark plug. Have a separate coil for that spark plug, and a toggle switch hooked up to that coil. Flip the switch, coil gives spark to the plug which ignites unburned fuel coming through the exhaust.
I think you've been playing that game "Spy Hunter" too much.
Old 11-29-2001, 02:12 PM
Banned

ken2000ac:
So tell me...are you a prick by nature? Or are you just trying for it?

"You are so full of $hit. What cop can go 200+ in what car? I don't know alot of cops rollin' around in Diablos. And you've SEEN this?!??! Yeah right. If you are going to lie in a post, at least try to make it sound HALFWAY honest. "

I've lived in San Diego, CA off and on for years. I have quite a few friends that go to SDSU and UCLA. If you knew ANYTHING you know that there ARE cops rolling in Diablos, as well as every type of Mercedes, BMW, and Audi out there...Porshe's, everything. Why? Becuase these cars are drug cars. I assume if you're going to even RESPOND with stupid ass comments like the one above you would know about the enormous drug rush across the Mex-Cali area. You also must know that they bust thousands of people. And if you know that you MIGHT (not sure, you sound pretty stupid) know that when they bust those people, they take in everything they have...that includes cash, clothes, and personal belongings. That means cars too, especially from the raids. Where do these cars go? The PD. Now here's a better idea for you ken2000ac. How about you STFU until you can at least PRETEND to know what you're talking about eh? I'm just trying to keep you from looking so retarded on the forums all the time...

Austin519
Old 11-29-2001, 02:32 PM
Instructor

Ken2000....your standard Chevy police car will go 170mph+
Old 11-29-2001, 03:16 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,141 Likes on 816 Posts
There is hardly any unburned fuel from the exhaust pipes of today's modern computer controlled fuel injection cars. You will have to route the fuel line and install fuel injector(s) into the exhaust pipe to throw any decent flame out.
Old 11-29-2001, 03:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Fvck both of you. Do you have radar guns watching these chases? What are you in the passenger seat of that Diablo? In the state of NC the State Trooper Z28's top out at 159. Period.

CA might be different, but both of you are still full of $hit if you think cops drive around at 200+ all day long. Do you know how fast 200 is?

I'm a prick, huh? Tell ya what....you post ONE link from ANY CA online newspaper article about a cop going over 200 mph and I swear I'll recant everything I just said and even apologize. Until you can do that, you're still full of $hit.
Old 11-29-2001, 03:20 PM
Instructor

Edward, so very true. Hence the better gas mileage we get these days. But any vehicle that has a carb on it has plenty of excess unburned fuel coming through the exhaust.
Old 11-29-2001, 03:25 PM
Instructor

Ken2000....if I didn't think you were a prick before, I sure the hell do now. You went on the attack against me for NO FREAKING REASON.

And to answer your questions, YES I was in the passenger of a police car that was going 170mph........And YES, I do know what 200mph feels like. To be more precise, I know what 218mph feels like.
Old 11-29-2001, 03:28 PM
Burning Brakes

FKNA....I don't doubt you.

Out of curiosity what was the car you went 218 in?

I'm still waiting for Austin.......
Old 11-29-2001, 03:30 PM
Instructor

It was a 1970 Cutlass Supreme SX, 455hp engine with a few mods. Slow off the line....real power didn't kick in until around 70mph.
Old 11-29-2001, 03:34 PM
Burning Brakes

I'm sure you'd understand if I was skeptical that you went 218 in that car, but you deserve the benefit of the doubt and I'm indeed jealous.

Still waiting for Austin though.
Old 11-29-2001, 03:40 PM
Advanced

I usually stay out of things like this but this is too hard to resist. The 1970 Cutlass SX had a 455ci engine that produced 365hp.

As poor as the aerodynamics are on that car, its as heavy as a tank, and automatic I would be shocked if a 1000hp engine would carry that car to 200mph.
Old 11-29-2001, 03:57 PM
Burning Brakes

FKNA......response?
Old 11-29-2001, 05:07 PM
Instructor

There were two main modifications made to the car that increased the top end.....replaced the stock tranny and changed the gear ratio in the rear end.
Old 11-29-2001, 05:08 PM
Banned

It was a 1970 Cutlass Supreme SX, 455hp engine with a few mods. Slow off the line....real power didn't kick in until around 70mph.
You are full of sh1t -- there is no way you can get a car that huge tank up to 218 before the tires fall apart and it starts shaking to pieces. I have a 1976 Camaro and at 120 I was scared sh1tless that it was going to turn to dust on the road. This is funny as hell.
Old 11-29-2001, 05:27 PM
Instructor

"I have a 1976 Camaro and at 120 I was scared sh1tless that it was going to turn to dust on the road"

I've also owned a Camaro, 1978 Rally Sport. 120mph was a good cruising speed for that car. If you were scared that your car was going to turn to dust, it must of been a piece of junk. The Camaro itself (older models) were a good car and could handle speeds in excess of 100mph.

And if your car wasn't a piece of junk, then you just didn't have the balls to cruise in the triple digits.
Old 11-29-2001, 05:29 PM
Banned

ken2000ac:
First off...your "still waiting on austin" comments are annoying...why? Because between your first and last reply only 39 minutes passed. Although you seem to wait on edge on this forum to see my reply...you're honestly not worth that to me...not even close So you'll get your reply when I'm done doing more important stuff...which is basically anything but replying to you.

Secondly...you seem to want to assume the role of moderator in this post...asking me for a response...asking FKNA for a response. It seems that you're totally unwanted in this post...in fact of the 5 posts you have made...in 4 of them all you did is call everyone a liar, and the fifth one you said more or less nothing. Seeing as how you have no background on the subject....no knowledge of what I'm discussing or FKNA, or anything else...why not butt out?

"Do you have radar guns watching these chases? What are you in the passenger seat of that Diablo? In the state of NC the State Trooper Z28's top out at 159. Period. "

Do you have a Radar gun? No? Then how do YOU know? Also, we're not talking about NC drivers in Z28's...ha! We're talking about cops who are VERY skilled drivers driving VERY nice sports cars. And I hate to tell you but I don't give a crap about your state, or your State Troopers...that has nothing to do with CA PD.

"CA might be different, but both of you are still full of $hit if you think cops drive around at 200+ all day long. Do you know how fast 200 is? "
Yes I know how fast 200 is...I have had the luxury to go to Germany and ride in a car going that fast once in my life. And did I ever, once, say that cops drive around all day long at 200+? No, I certainly didn't. They don't need to. Most standard chases don't get about 110 at the most. Unless you're chasing Spyders and other more powerful, more expensive cars.

"I'm a prick, huh? Tell ya what....you post ONE link from ANY CA online newspaper article about a cop going over 200 mph and I swear I'll recant everything I just said and even apologize. Until you can do that, you're still full of $hit."
Ah...the great thing here is that I don't give a flying f*ck if you recant or apologize...spending the time to even read that would be a waste of my time . So instead of going online and wasting my time looking for articles describing chases with modded Ferrari's, I'll go read more worthwhile stuff on the forum...you're really pathetic ken2000ac...how about you just back away before you make yourself look worse eh ?

Austin519

Quick Reply: Turning standard TL into type S