Trunk mat for TL?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2001, 07:21 PM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trunk mat for TL?

Does anyone havce the trunk mat for TL? You know the rubber one? Does that help? I like how the trunk is of pretty good size and can fit almost anything but when I have groceries and small items, I don't like the fact that they move around inside the trunk alot. And I don't like to use the cargo net... simply because it doesn't look too good when I open the trunk. Does anyone have any experience with the mat?? Thanks for your inputs.
Old 07-18-2001, 07:46 PM
Daddy

The Acura brand cargo mat will not help your packages from moving around, you will still need the net for that. Really the only good the mat is good for is if something spills, you can pick up the mat and dump whatever spilled on the ground. IMHO it is not worth the money.
Old 07-18-2001, 08:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Its called a trunk tray not a mat.
I should change that on my signture. It won't prevent anything from sliding around in the trunk. It does however prevent spills & like said when it gets dirty just wipe it or dump it. I still can't figure how to use the net along with it. You would have to cut holes in the tray on the bottom to have the net fit. Someone did post how to do it awhile back & I printed it out but I have not gotten around to doing it yet. I prefer the tray & am very happy with it. The dealer sold it to me for $60 this was way below its cost . It also keeps the trunk floor clean no dirt or order on the capet part.
Old 07-18-2001, 08:43 PM
Advanced

Not really worth the money unless you make lots of trips to the coast (sand), or haul dirty stuff in the trunk. My trunk is clean though!
Old 07-18-2001, 09:06 PM
Drifting

a week after I got my car w/ the trunk tray, a half gallon of iced tea broke and spilled all over- all in the tray.

It would have been a HUGE MESS if not for the tray. That's also the reason I won't cut the holes in it for the cargo net.
Old 07-18-2001, 09:29 PM
Daddy

FTM-1

What I did is cut slots in my trunk tray where the cargo mat should attach. This way I get to use both items, but if I do spill some liquid in my trunk it would spill through the slots.
Old 07-18-2001, 09:35 PM
Drifting

oh, I still use my cargo net, I just don't hook up the bottom parts. I connect it and it sort of hovers above the tray until you put something in it. It still serves it's purpose really well.
Old 07-18-2001, 10:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Originally posted by Acura3200
That's also the reason I won't cut the holes in it for the cargo net.
What you can do is just drill holes small enough to accept the bolts for the round hooks. Put down the trunk tray, push the bolt through the tray and tighten those puppies down. No leakage.
Old 07-19-2001, 10:01 AM
Drifting

Thanks guys for your inputs... but I'm still not sure if I should buy one or not. I don't really go to the beach... so I guess that doesn't apply to me. Almost all I carry are non-liquid except when I go grocery shopping. I guess I'd have to just use the trunk net to secure the items, eh? But what do you guys do for those items that are too large to fit inside the net but small enough for it to just slide around in the trunk? I hear it moving and it just annoys me.
Old 07-19-2001, 11:20 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by SLVR TL
But what do you guys do for those items that are too large to fit inside the net but small enough for it to just slide around in the trunk? I hear it moving and it just annoys me.
Bose Audio
Old 07-19-2001, 12:35 PM
Instructor

I carry a small box and a folding hand cart all the time in my trunk. They use to slide all over. So I put a large bath towel (folded) in my trunk tray. Now they stay put...

Another use for the towel is when I put bulky/heavy items into my trunk, I drape it over the trunk lip and over the bumper so I have some protection from scratching the bumper (like I did with my Camry).

Just Me
Old 07-19-2001, 01:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Just Me
I carry a small box and a folding hand cart all the time in my trunk. They use to slide all over. So I put a large bath towel (folded) in my trunk tray. Now they stay put...

Another use for the towel is when I put bulky/heavy items into my trunk, I drape it over the trunk lip and over the bumper so I have some protection from scratching the bumper (like I did with my Camry).

Just Me
I purchased the trunk apron for the Accord Coupe to take care of my bumper. My mother is elderly & sometimes I carry her wheel chair in the trunk. I scratched up the bumper on my 94 Accord lifting the chair in & out. I got the leather apron that was for the Accord Coupe. The apron is black leather with Honda logo I hooked it to some of the trunks hooks. When I need it to protect the bumper I just flip it over. They had this accessory for the Coupe for people with Golf Bags.
Old 07-19-2001, 01:13 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by FTM-1

I purchased the trunk apron for the Accord Coupe to take care of my bumper.
Thanks for the info on the trunk apron. If I may ask, how much $$ was it? The side that touches the bumper, is it soft? Any chance of it scratching the bumper? Sounds like something I might buy if the price is right...

Just Me
Old 07-19-2001, 02:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Just Me

Thanks for the info on the trunk apron. If I may ask, how much $$ was it? The side that touches the bumper, is it soft? Any chance of it scratching the bumper? Sounds like something I might buy if the price is right...

Just Me
I paid about $40 for it but that was over a year ago from my old Honda Dealership. The back part of the apron won't scratch the bumper as it was made for this purpose. It was an accessory from the 99 Accord Coupe. The part fits good for me that wheelchair or anything else won't nick the bumper doing liftover.
I put a nice nick in my 94 Accords bumper lifting that thing.
So when I got the TL I rembered that Trunk Apron from the 99 Accord Coupe accessory list. I just hooked it to the 2 black fasteners in the trunk.
Old 07-19-2001, 04:46 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by FTM-1

I paid about $40 for it but that was over a year ago from my old Honda Dealership. The back part of the apron won't scratch the bumper as it was made for this purpose. It was an accessory from the 99 Accord Coupe. The part fits good for me that wheelchair or anything else won't nick the bumper doing liftover.
I put a nice nick in my 94 Accords bumper lifting that thing.
So when I got the TL I rembered that Trunk Apron from the 99 Accord Coupe accessory list. I just hooked it to the 2 black fasteners in the trunk.
Thanks FTM-1!

Just Me