Trunk Leak (in the strangest place)

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 07:51 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Trunk Leak (in the strangest place)

So about a month ago I found out that there was a leak in my trunk. I thought it was strange that the trunk liner was damp until I took it out and saw that my spare tire was COMPLETELY submerged. Yes,.. the entire wheel well was full of water. After draining it, drying it out completely, and removing the liner I let it sit through a rain storm and found a strange source for the leak. Apparently the water that drains from the well around the trunk seal is somehow seeping back in through the underside of the taillights. It's a slow leak (about an ounce for every two hours of rain), but I don't know what to do about it. It almost seems like the foam seal that is between the taillight and the body is what is drawing the water in. If I can snap some pics I'll post them here.

Has anyone else experienced this before? Any advice?

Thanks!
Old 12-20-2008, 08:02 PM
wham bam thank you ma'am

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts
ppl had these problems, search for your fix. id put some double sided tape around the tail like openings
Old 01-03-2009, 11:20 PM
Cruisin'

Fuz, I have the exact same problem you are describing, exactly. Leaking thru the tail lights. I popped the trunk liner off to see what where the water was leaking, but that didnt help because the leak is between the light and casing as you described. My donut was underwater too and it splashed into the back seat, causing mold, geesh,
Old 01-03-2009, 11:41 PM
is out, so the

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
TO ALL DEALING THIS PROBLEM: There is a plug in the spare tire compartment, take it out. This will keep the water from building up like the OP mentioned. Even if you don't have the leak, if you ever get the leak, it won't flood your trunk causing mold everywhere. I have never had the leak and took mine out anyway, have no problems with water coming in from the outside...
Old 01-03-2009, 11:47 PM
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Rajca
ppl had these problems, search for your fix. id put some double sided tape around the tail like openings
That won't last- silicone or new seals.
Old 01-04-2009, 12:09 AM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a leak in the edges around the trunk on top..Not trunk lid but where the trunk lid and body meet on top (left and right side walls).

^ Not sure if that made sense.

I could just put some silicon over everywhere?

Would that work?
Old 01-04-2009, 02:21 AM
Instructor

Well I tried to create a silicone seal for one of my lights (I just had half a tube of silicone to work with) as a test, and it was more difficult than it sounded. Anyway,.. I can't get away from the rain (and work) long enough to do an adequate fix. But the good news is that I found the OEM seals here for $9.52 each. I'm getting ready to order them, but I think I can find the material cheaper at NAPA and make them myself.

As a side note,.. I'm considering removing the rubber grommet at the base of the spare tire well, but the reason I'm not is a matter of principal. I know it's stupid,.. but a trunk should not leak, therefore I want to find the cause and fix it properly instead of just creating a workaround.

Another thing,.. I think I might be getting an additional leak from the air exhaust vent on the drivers side in the trunk. If you have ever removed the trunk lining then you will know what I'm referring to. I think the foam gasket on that is failing too, but that one is going to be more of a pain to fix. We'll see.
Old 01-04-2009, 02:28 AM
Instructor

One more thing... I've been trying to get the damn trunk liner all the way out, but the last retaining clip/bolt is killing me. It's the one that is between the trunk and the back seat. Does anyone have any hints as to what's the easiest way to get this last clip/nut removed? I figure that I have to go and take the back seat out, but that sounds like a pain. And, yes, I've searched, but it hasn't yielded much. And before anyone asks,.. I know that I don't have to take the liner out all the way, but I want it to dry completely,.. and it can't do that in the current situation.
Old 01-04-2009, 11:39 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Replace your tail light gaskets. I have suffered the same problems with all acura/honda's. I have tried the silicone around the tail light openings and it will not work or last very long. Gaskets are cheap and easy DIY. Hope this helps.

http://www.acuraautomotiveparts.org/...s=&view=normal
Old 01-04-2009, 11:49 PM
Racer

pics would help please. I have this problem too. I have the silicone exactly do i apply it? What openings?

Thanks
Old 01-07-2009, 02:56 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by xmrgoodcatx
Replace your tail light gaskets. I have suffered the same problems with all acura/honda's. I have tried the silicone around the tail light openings and it will not work or last very long. Gaskets are cheap and easy DIY. Hope this helps.

http://www.acuraautomotiveparts.org/...s=&view=normal
not true i got new gaskets with my new set of taillights and i was hoping that my leak would be fixed but what do you know as soon as the rain came my car smelled like a wet dog again...
Old 01-07-2009, 03:37 PM
Lamborghini Aventador FTW

Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts
Damn it! I have this problem too and I was hoping the taillight gaskets were the solution. Back to the drawing board.
Old 01-08-2009, 02:12 PM
12volt Technician

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Allen-
TO ALL DEALING THIS PROBLEM: There is a plug in the spare tire compartment, take it out. This will keep the water from building up like the OP mentioned. Even if you don't have the leak, if you ever get the leak, it won't flood your trunk causing mold everywhere. I have never had the leak and took mine out anyway, have no problems with water coming in from the outside...

exactly what i did after finding the swimming pool in my trunk!!
Old 01-08-2009, 03:36 PM
T-Swzy

i had the same problem. be sure to spray it down with lysol, wipe with soap, spray lysol again and wipe with soap. wouldnt want any mold growing in there with the moisture
Old 05-08-2009, 04:17 PM
'06 Acura TL

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey, I have this same problem. Is there any chance that its just the plugs under the spare are really old and corroded and water is splashing up into the car from underneath?

In my case it is not the gaskets around the tail lights and its not the lines coming from the sun roof. There clear...
Old 05-08-2009, 04:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by ace2525
Hey, I have this same problem. Is there any chance that its just the plugs under the spare are really old and corroded and water is splashing up into the car from underneath?

In my case it is not the gaskets around the tail lights and its not the lines coming from the sun roof. There clear...
Take a hose and spray it nd see if it leaks?
Old 05-08-2009, 09:13 PM
Need an OEM lip kit on my

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Same problem here too...spare tire submerged It happened when I tinted my tails and didn't properly tighten them back

I just tightened the taillights and made sure the leak was gone by dumping water over the trunk with no liner or tire in there to make sure the leak was gone for sure.
Old 12-25-2023, 01:20 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by nf3d0149ab
I have a leak in the edges around the trunk on top..Not trunk lid but where the trunk lid and body meet on top (left and right side walls).

^ Not sure if that made sense.

I could just put some silicon over everywhere?

Would that work?
me too
Same spot you're talking about. The seams under the edges near the hinges. You ever figure out what was causing it? I cant find the problem myself. Thanks
Old 12-26-2023, 12:27 PM
USAF Veteran

Received 69 Likes on 57 Posts
This thread is from 2009. I suggest you start a new thread on it.

Meanwhile, I had the leak as well. Here's my thread on it.

Turns out mine was the tail light gasket but I checked all other leak points.

https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tl-p...trunk-1002919/