Truly cursed

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 06:22 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truly cursed

Well I'll keep it short and sweet until I know for sure, but I think my trans is DEAD.

I decided to seafoam my car, followed the DIY to the dot. Good results, except that during my spirited drive the trans slipped between first and second and when I hit second gear the engine was already at 5500RPM. BANG.

Now it slips every shift.

Booked for a service Tuesday.

The extended warranty on my trans ran out on July 20th.

FUCK
Old 07-30-2010, 06:35 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Sorry to hear. I hope everything turns out well.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:02 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
go in and speak with the SERVICE MANAGER who can get the few days extension covered for you under GOODWILL

Be positive, tell them how much you love the car and brand, family has 2 etc etc

In the meantime smell the fluid on dipstick- burnt?

no flashing D5 light or TCS or anything else on dash warnings?

no prior slipping or delay engaging gears?

Seafoamers- you dont have to be wild with the after drive- 5 minutes of sprited driving is good per seafoam- dont hold it in 2nd gear for 10-30 minutes at 4000+ rpm or predictable results will occur
Old 07-30-2010, 10:58 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
damn that sucks man. you just got it too. go complain that they sold you a lemon and try to get them to pay for it.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:39 PM
Intermediate

It was during the 0-60 WOT runs, it slipped going into second. The car stabilized very quickly, I ran it 2k rpm for maybe 1/4 mile and it leveled out and then another 1/2mile at 4k rpm. The car only has 38000 miles on it so I didn't expect too much smoke. Had some signs of rough shifting after cold starts, nothing too serious. Its seems to be doing better tonight now that its cooled off(slipping less). I took it around the block tonight real easy to see. It was smokin hot out today, plus I was running it hard. I've only had the car since May. Took it in to a mechanic as well as the dealer and specifically asked them to check the trans. Registered with Acura Canada and emailed them about any recalls. ect. ect.

I have ambitions of a 6 speed swap but that was waaaaay down the road. I'll take her for a gentle spin tomorrow and see how bad it is. Set up to go to the dealer on Tuesday.

Note, I used deep creep seafoam for the vac line. Amazing, super easy to control the rate of consumption. Never even came close to stalling, and I wasn't even on the throttle cable.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:43 PM
Intermediate

Trans dipstick definitely smells burnt. It was amazingly hot under the hood when I was putting the seafoam in, and it was a really warm day out. Then the WOT runs, I wasn't thinkin about the trans. I was thinking warmer was better for burning all that crud off. W'll see how dirty it is, my TB and IM spacers showed up today. Going to wait and see how this trans thing pans out before I install though.
Old 07-31-2010, 10:48 AM
Team Owner

the DIY seafoam: full throttle runs with seafoam does NOT say 0-60!!!
they say from 20 or 40, full throttle into vtec 5000 rpm and back off again
We know our trans is weak and look to prevent any damage during the process
Your trans had to be way on the way out,, for the procedure to have been the last straw~

seafoam can be added above idle with great results- www.seafoamsales.com for more info,,our DIY is slightly different, and they use 2000 rpm while adding seafoam thru vac port!

Smoke is relative to heat in the cat, not crud in the engine
Most of what comes out is liquified microdroplets and you wont see it blasting past

with that really low miles and just out of warranty- they should hook you up no sweat
The under 2 weeks time ~past limit~ can be explained by difficulty arranging appointment with your schedule and gettting the car into them~

Best of Luck!!- practice your speech to the MANAGER- love car and brand, have other acuras in family, starving student, just past warranty because...(see above)
Leave out of the story: the seafoam part, or the other performance mods you plan- if pleading poverty for full coverage under `goodwill`
Old 07-31-2010, 11:51 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
0-60 or 20-60 would not have had a difference, the trans was already showing signs of death (cold operation rough shifts) and would have croaked anyhow
Old 07-31-2010, 03:25 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry to hear about this... But with such low miles on your car, they should not give you too much of a hastle.... like 01tl said... give them the brand loyalty speach, have 2 friends with Acuras come over (preferably an early 90's teg and a MDX) and take a picture of them in your driveway with your phone and show it to the boss when seeing about the repairs to show him your brand loyalty... brand loyalty goes a long way with the dealer... remove any "other" brand vehicle from the photo to let them know you love and only drive Acuras...make sure that you mention AZ and get the bosses card and let them know that you are going to put it on AZ to let the other local AZ members know about him/her and how well they treated you... Do not mention anything about performance mods or racing at all, past or future

I have used this method to squeeze free/cheap services from the dealer in the past...

I have 60k on mine and it runs perfectly smooth but in the back of my head I am always thinking about the tranny in my car

Everybody always asks me why I drive so slow and only cruise in my TL... never really push it over 3000/rpm around town... I tell them that it has a "special" tranny that is made out of glass... I honestly wouldn't even know if there was something wrong with my v-tec because I can't even remember the last time I pushed it that hard... when I'm on the bike, its a different story

Good luck
Old 07-31-2010, 04:48 PM
The Talk of New York

Hey Spoilaz, I'm also in NY and having tranny problems, which dealer do you recommend?
Old 07-31-2010, 05:06 PM
Team Owner

while this particular car already had trans probs- for normal foamers-`no need to do drag race runs`