Transmission shift's cable - too long ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2021, 04:58 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Transmission shift's cable - too long ?

Hi,

I ran into a very strange problem !
I completed bolting on the a 1999 Acura TL's tranmission with another one picked up from a salvage yard.
When I was trying to bolt the Transmission shift's cable - I found that the inner was too long - Implying that I was unable to get the shift lever to move to the "Reverse" or the "Park" position. Yes, I am aware that the shift solenoid will block that generally - however I pressed the lever blocking the shift solenoid so that the lever is not blocked.
I also went to another salvage yard just to verify if the "Transmission shift's cable" was the same size. I found that it was.

Any idea as to what might be happening?
Where do I look to verify that the transmission is the same as the 99 TL's? Pls advice.
Thanks in advance !!

George
Old 05-10-2021, 05:04 PM
5th Gear

Sorry - what I typed in the following above sentence was not clear - "Yes, I am aware that the shift solenoid will block that generally - however I pressed the lever blocking the shift solenoid so that the lever is not blocked."
Yes, I am aware that the shift solenoid will block that generally - however I pressed the "solenoid lever" which was prevent the "Transmission shift lever" from moving.
Old 05-12-2021, 04:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 313 Likes on 258 Posts
Have you confirmed that the transmission models match? additionally, the cable will be different lengths depending on the position the lever is in; and this coincides with transmission shift position; any chance the trans is not in park and requires you to manually shift it into park to match up correctly?

Old 05-19-2021, 11:11 AM
5th Gear

My apologies for the delayed response!!
I got stuck with replacing my odyssey's timing belt. Now the ody will not start - I just put in a thread on the odyclub for that.

How do I verify that the transmission models match? I tried to find something embossed into the transmission - I did not find any.

I made sure that the shifter was in park & the lever on the tranny was also in park.
Any other thoughts? Pls advice, Thanks.
Old 06-11-2021, 04:19 PM
5th Gear

An update - I found that the trannys matched - b7va.
I adjusted the length of the outer cable by using 2 nuts. So the cable length issue is solved !

If i use a obd2 device to read codes - the car starts & runs well. The moment I remove the obd2 device - the car switches off !!! when i looked around, I noticed that the immobilizer seems to not recognise the key at all - Simply no green key light on the dash. Also the shifter solenoid inside the shifter lever where we shift the gear toggle for some time & the stops; but some other solenoid inside the engine toggles continuously. All this stops when I use an obd2 device !!
I have a bad ignition switch - replacing that today - hoping that it will sort out this issue.

Pls advice if you had some experience on this. Thanks in advance !