Tranny after 100k?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2004, 12:36 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tranny after 100k?

As I'm in the market for a 2nd gen TL, I've been reading a lot about the 7/100k extended warranty on the transmission.

What do you plan on doing as your TL approaches the cut-off for the warranty? If I buy a TL, I'd like to be able to keep it for longer than 100k miles if I wanted to.
Old 11-26-2004, 01:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
i kept mine, just drive it and dont worry about it. if it goes it goes. hopefullay along the way here honda actually fixes it
Old 11-26-2004, 10:06 PM
SCMPredator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hi,

you know its funny you mentioned this topic cuz I had a HUGE argument with my dad over the car. I have an '02 TL. Its basically under my dad's name but I make all the payments and do minor maintenance here and there on the car and I am the only one who really drives it.

I was telling my dad that I should just trade it in for the new acura TL which actually has a tranny with no problems (as far as I've heard). I said listen...the payments I have left is what is basically the resale value of the car (I have 42K mi on it now). He was like why would you trade it in when its covered for 100K. I was like...dad...I understand ...but they do NOT HAVE A FIX for the DAMN Thing. I dont want to start paying for the transmission each time it breaks after a 100K. His response was " then you should just trade it in" ...but I was like you get twice the resale on it if i get rid of it now!! He was like but its covered for 100K....then the argument just went in circles!!!

He said...you're making a bad decision if you trade it in now. Am I being stupid about this after reading everyone's experiences with the transmission? I was like dad...why don't read this site....he was like well....you're just creating the problem by reading that site..

whats the point!!
Old 11-27-2004, 05:24 AM
Advanced

This is a good way to look at the debate of whether to keep a car and maintain it OR to trade-in:

How much does it cost to repair the car?
How much does the new, replacement cost?

If you think about it. spending a couple grand sure as hell beats 30.

Then again, maybe you just really want a new car. In that case, that argument doesn't work so much.

Just my thoughts..
Old 11-27-2004, 09:52 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TLHottie
This is a good way to look at the debate of whether to keep a car and maintain it OR to trade-in:

How much does it cost to repair the car?
How much does the new, replacement cost?

If you think about it. spending a couple grand sure as hell beats 30.

Then again, maybe you just really want a new car. In that case, that argument doesn't work so much.

Just my thoughts..
My dilemma is that if I spend the money to buy a premium brand such as an Acura, I would like the option of being able to drive it longer than 100,000 miles without having to worry about a major component.

In this day and age, an unabused tranny should last far, far longer than 100k miles.

I've noticed that there is a number if TL owners here that are in your 20's. If you purchased the car on your own credit, and with your own hard earned money, and under your own name on the title, maybe you'll understand my indecision. When I make a purchase this big, whether new or used, I make damned sure I ask all the questions I can.

Thanks for all the help and hand-holding.
Old 11-27-2004, 10:29 PM
SCMPredator

Originally Posted by ChuckERants
My dilemma is that if I spend the money to buy a premium brand such as an Acura, I would like the option of being able to drive it longer than 100,000 miles without having to worry about a major component.

In this day and age, an unabused tranny should last far, far longer than 100k miles.

I personally agree. There are some guys on bobistheoilguy.com that say cars in the 21st century should have transmissions which should last minimum 200K. I agree that all cars have recalls by the manufacturers/dealers. But the transmission...its the most complex part of a car. My dad may own the car legally speaking...but im payin for it. I think I speak for everyone (i hope) when I say that I earned my money with blood and sweat. You would think that Acura, the *luxury division* of Honda, would put more thought and effort into their transmission system even though the same unit is used by the lower end Honda models. The problem is the car industry has been moving to " building on a platform strategy". Its better value to buy the lower end models after this experience. If anyone owns the Toyota Highlander...lemme say if you compare that to the Lexus RX...you are not missing anything. Its the same platform and engine. At this point ...if I had to pick an Acura...I think the new RL is the best deal because it vastly different from all the other Honda/Acura Models its worth the extra money.
Old 11-28-2004, 02:38 PM
Racer

If I am financially sound when my TL hits 100k, I will trade it for an 03 TL-S or if I can afford a used 05 RL sometime in 2007, I will get that. I absolutely LOVE my TL. I've owned 2 Civics, a Taurus SHO (which I loved but they fall apart, poor quality and no longer made), and now this 2000 TL. As far as I'm concerned, I'm an Acura customer for life. The tranny problem does suck, and that's one reason I may get rid of it at 100k. (It's got 49.6k now). If I don't have the $ for a newer Acura, I will keep this one and sweat bullets rather than trade down for something cheaper. I'm a recent college grad (22 yrs old) trying to save up and move out of my parents house, so $ isn't great now; but I will do whatever it takes to keep driving an Acura. They are fully worth it despite the recalls, shitty stuck-up dealers, and the expensive parts for them. They are a well-built car overall and while not a Benz, they are excellent value for the money and have some prestige associated with them. Acura may be a Honda, but I've owned Hondas....this car is definitely a notch up. I love my Acura!