towing question

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2003 | 01:32 AM
Instructor

towing question

since the tl is a front wheel drive car. if a tow truck towed the car with the rear wheel. is there gonna be damage to the car? i drive a 2000 tl. asking this because my car almost got towed a few week ago, but i stopped the dude before he was able to drag it away.
Old 03-22-2003 | 01:42 AM
Instructor

Yes, when towing and the drive wheels are on the ground, it can do serious damage to the car. In a manual it's not so bad if it was left out of gear but still can do a little damage. In an automatic it can do far more damage. It's possible to tow it just a few feet by the drive wheels till you can get the car out of a parking space enough to pick it up by the drive wheels. The trick is to tow it slow enough that the drive wheels stay locked up. It''ll flat spot the tires but it's better than damaging the tranny. Once the drive wheels start moving, damage has been done.
Old 03-22-2003 | 02:07 AM
Banned

Also, even if an automatic car is put in neutral it still should be lifted and towed from the front. If it can't be towed from the front, get a rolloff (flatbed) truck. That's my preferred towing method all the time.
Old 03-22-2003 | 10:06 AM
Racer

BTW...the part you will mess up is your front differential if you are towed with the front wheels rolling.
Old 03-22-2003 | 02:27 PM
Instructor

More importantly, you'll break the parking pin inside the tranny. It's not very big and can break if you put enough pressure on it (towing the car with drive wheels on the ground). The differential and tranny will overheat if towed over a long distance since the fluid inside isn't being cooled. If the engine isn't running, the pump isn't running to circulate the tranny fluid through the tranny cooler.
Old 03-23-2003 | 05:18 PM
Pro

would the tow truck company be responsible for damages? here at school there is nowhere to park, so we park everywhere and cars are always being towed. i try to find parking spots where it would be tight for the tow truck to access. is there any way to make it more difficult to tow?
Old 03-23-2003 | 05:49 PM
Dragging knees in

If it was towed improperly and the car sustained damages, then they are liable for the repair costs. If they are going to tow cars, they damn well better know how to do it.

When my brother came up to visit me at school last year, his car was towed. When we went to pick it up, they wrote on the papers that it was towed with the rear up (2001 Eclipse GT, FWD). I f*cking went off at them, showing them the owner's manual where it stated "Your Eclipse MUST be towed on a flatbed. If not done properly, it could cause serious damages to your transmission and the engine." They quickly said that the tow guy marked it wrong, but I knew they were lying. We had the car checked out by the dealership and everything seemed alright.

But I was so mad. After we paid the fee and everything, the guy went to open the gate. It was in December and was snowing and freezing cold, and my brother and I took our time going over the car to make sure there weren't any scratches. And I mean we took our time, while the cocksucker waited for us at the gate. They were so lucky there was nothing wrong with the car. I would've tossed them the keys and said you're buying me a new one.

How do I know they were lying? Because my apartment parking lot is really tight, and even the regular tow trucks have a hard time getting in there. A flatbed truck wouldn't even stand a chance. Also, it was parked with the front facing the fence, so I know they towed it backwards out of the spot. UGH!! I hate towers. It is one job in the world that would NOT be missed.
Old 03-23-2003 | 07:50 PM
Safety Car

Re: towing question

Originally posted by s0ph3aktra
since the tl is a front wheel drive car. if a tow truck towed the car with the rear wheel. is there gonna be damage to the car? i drive a 2000 tl. asking this because my car almost got towed a few week ago, but i stopped the dude before he was able to drag it away.
Buddy!!
Stop parking your car where its not suppose to park

Or next time chain the f*cking wheels to something.