Totally not happy with LED gauges

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 08:58 AM
deal with it

Received 378 Likes on 316 Posts
Originally Posted by Acuracy02
So the pics that were posted earlier are of ONLY the bulbs that just pop in as a replacement? Or was soldering done to get the car to look as it did in the pictures?

the gauges are replacement leds, and the dash requires soldering....i was planing on buying these myself not to long ago......but the hot spots have me wondering about the whole thing..........
Old 02-02-2007, 10:52 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I should be getting my new flux led's in. I'll take pics once I'm done the job, if it works out that is.
Old 02-02-2007, 11:00 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by dreem1er
the gauges are replacement leds, and the dash requires soldering....i was planing on buying these myself not to long ago......but the hot spots have me wondering about the whole thing..........
Hot spots are easy to take care of and show up more in pics than in person most times.
Old 02-02-2007, 11:28 AM
Instructor

I got the ebay reverse glow gauges... They work for me.... no needle sticking or anything. The color is alrite... not the best thing, but it works for 15 bucks shipped.
Old 02-02-2007, 02:29 PM
Racer

I went from a LED cluster to Reverse glow, and now going back to LED since there are some new and improved versions out there.
Old 02-02-2007, 02:57 PM
Banned

Hey dnd... go to the meet coming up over a week from now

https://acurazine.com/forums/acurazine-clubs-meets-15/tampa-mini-meet-%40-sonics-feb-10th-357654/

I want to see this in person. I have leds here I could fix for you if you want a brighter display... or if you want, I'll make the '01 dash look like an '04 with the blue/white/red combo. Just let me know
Old 02-04-2007, 10:34 PM
運転することを愛

Originally Posted by dreem1er
I should have been more specific. So the gauges themselves do not require soldering to install as pictured?

I am aware the climate control, clock, etc do require soldering. My only concern is the gauges.

Thanks.
Old 02-06-2007, 08:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
no I believe the photo he has was with the additional two 3mm leds but there is a digital radar display in my speedo gauge which is airbrushed out for the ledautomotive.com website. ('olde timers to this site might remember when I posted this mod back in '02) The point being that the digital radar display blocked some of the light that would otherwise reach the top of the speedo gauge with just the stock bulb locations. Without a radar display, the stock bulb locations ought to give you pretty even light as can be seen in several LED conversions that have been posted to this site. Its possible that my additional two leds eliminate just a tad more of a spotty effect but if so, you can always add them on later. A single dab of high strength hot glue tacks the leds in place and a 470 ohm resistor (or did I use a 910 up there?... I dont remember any more)
As fsttyms1 says, mostly the spotty effect shows up in photos but isn't really noticable in person. I looked at mine tonight and I really looks even too me. The only downside of the "stock" led conversion, is the red needles for the gauges wont be all that bright. I was going to do another mod to light them up better but just never got around to it, and at this point nearly 2 years later (and used to how it is now) I wont bother. I'm getting older and more lazy I guess...

Originally Posted by Acuracy02
So the pics that were posted earlier are of ONLY the bulbs that just pop in as a replacement? Or was soldering done to get the car to look as it did in the pictures?
Old 02-06-2007, 09:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

The solution for the clock is simple - the stock bulb is located on only the left side. So you simply double up on the LEDs (use two - just stack one on top of the other) and them wrap the display from behind with metal foil duct tape. Thats how mine is done and its bright as can be and no spotty effect.

Originally Posted by TLSC
Yes, I am really interested in pics of Blue vs Hyper White for the A/C, clock and switches.

Nate is really a great guy and is very honest. I am sure a solution to the hot spots will be available soon. Would really be interested in a complete kit.

Please post your pics, ideas, and results!

-al
Old 02-07-2007, 09:13 PM
運転することを愛

Originally Posted by 2002AcuraTL
no I believe the photo he has was with the additional two 3mm leds but there is a digital radar display in my speedo gauge which is airbrushed out for the ledautomotive.com website. ('olde timers to this site might remember when I posted this mod back in '02) The point being that the digital radar display blocked some of the light that would otherwise reach the top of the speedo gauge with just the stock bulb locations. Without a radar display, the stock bulb locations ought to give you pretty even light as can be seen in several LED conversions that have been posted to this site. Its possible that my additional two leds eliminate just a tad more of a spotty effect but if so, you can always add them on later. A single dab of high strength hot glue tacks the leds in place and a 470 ohm resistor (or did I use a 910 up there?... I dont remember any more)
As fsttyms1 says, mostly the spotty effect shows up in photos but isn't really noticable in person. I looked at mine tonight and I really looks even too me. The only downside of the "stock" led conversion, is the red needles for the gauges wont be all that bright. I was going to do another mod to light them up better but just never got around to it, and at this point nearly 2 years later (and used to how it is now) I wont bother. I'm getting older and more lazy I guess...
So I guess I just need to decide if I want to try and get the direct replacement LED bulbs and see if I am alright with the results without soldering anything in. I'd like to avoid the soldering. I hate the green color that is factory however. My car is in storage still for winter so I have the time to take the dash apart and see the results, etc.
Old 02-08-2007, 10:10 PM
極品インスパイア32V

2002AcuraTL, may I ask how I can add 2 additional LED bulbs to my gauge? Do you have pictures of it? Thanks.
Old 02-11-2007, 12:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

I just looked through my pics but dont have one showing the two extra at the top of the speedo. As luck would have it, one of my LED appears to have come lose and the light is out so I will have to pull the car apart to fix. I will wait a few days to work on it because its really cold up here in CT. Even my garage is in the 30's. When I take the guage cluster out i will try to take some pics. PM me with your email addy so i can send them to you.

Originally Posted by InspireUA5
2002AcuraTL, may I ask how I can add 2 additional LED bulbs to my gauge? Do you have pictures of it? Thanks.
Old 02-13-2007, 08:26 AM
運転することを愛

I just looked through my pics but dont have one showing the two extra at the top of the speedo. As luck would have it, one of my LED appears to have come lose and the light is out so I will have to pull the car apart to fix. I will wait a few days to work on it because its really cold up here in CT. Even my garage is in the 30's. When I take the guage cluster out i will try to take some pics. PM me with your email addy so i can send them to you.
Please cc me on that email. I'm PMing you my address.