Totaled My 99 Acura Tl Today....

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2004, 04:06 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Totaled My 99 Acura Tl Today....

JUST TOTALED MY CAR TODAY. :whocares: L O L .... BUT REALLY .... THE OTHER PARTY HAS ALREADY BEEN FOUND TO BE FULLY AT FAULT....GOOD THING WE BOTH HAD FULL COVERAGE ANY SUGGESTIONS ON AN ACURA UPGRADE ? I'M SURE I WANT ANOTHER ACURA , MAYBE 2002-03 , BUT WHEN HUNTING DOWN MY NEXT CAR WHAT SHOULD I FOCUS ON AS FAR AS THIS STYLE ,THAT STYLE , THIS OPTION , THAT OPTION ? I'M SURE OTHERS HAVE BOUGHT AN ACURA AND ONCE THEY DID , REALIZED THAT THEY SHOULD HAVE WENT WITH THIS OR THAT INSTEAD OF WHAT THEY HAD GOTTEN.... PROS. AND CONS. FROM ONE ACURA TO ANOTHER ? FEEDBACK WOULD BE APPRECIATED.... QUESTIONS ENCOURAGED.... THANKS , TRICKSTA

FOOTNOTE.. I'M INTO FAST DRIVING WHEN NECESSARY.... IN OTHER WORDS, "I WILL BE MAKING PROFORMANCE MODS UNDER THE HOOD".... JUST LIKE FOR IT TO BE THEIR WHEN I ASK FOR IT....
Old 10-27-2004, 04:10 AM
Advanced

hope you are alright.

guess i better ask that question first. cause my first instinct was to ask if you were selling your ct headers or rear sway bar........ j/k.

thats a bummer to hear about your car.
hope you get something better from it.

now about them comptech parts
Old 10-27-2004, 05:33 AM
tl_badboy96

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
how bad was your wreck? do you have any salvage parts left????? anything!!!!!!
Old 10-27-2004, 07:37 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
How bout turning off caps lock.
Old 10-27-2004, 08:51 AM

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts
Glad you seem alright.

Just remember that if you are going to upgrade into a 'newer' TL ('02/'03) from your '99 ---- you will be entering a world of more tranny problems. You might be lucky and not have a single prob with the 5-speed tranny, but it's definitely more of an issue with those transmissions over the '99s. Just keep that in mind if you are sticking with the TL. If you want a totally new experience, look at other car companies or even a different model by Acura. You've got a clean slate, so take the opportunity to really look around and do your research. No one says you've got to stick with the TL.....errr.....except for the hundreds of owners here!!
Old 10-27-2004, 08:56 AM
Team Inspire Canada

Originally Posted by Street Spirit
Glad you seem alright.

Just remember that if you are going to upgrade into a 'newer' TL ('02/'03) from your '99 ---- you will be entering a world of more tranny problems. You might be lucky and not have a single prob with the 5-speed tranny, but it's definitely more of an issue with those transmissions over the '99s. Just keep that in mind if you are sticking with the TL. If you want a totally new experience, look at other car companies or even a different model by Acura. You've got a clean slate, so take the opportunity to really look around and do your research. No one says you've got to stick with the TL.....errr.....except for the hundreds of owners here!!

Dont you drive an Acura.....You seemed to have done your research before you got the car. ACURA is one of the better cars in the market for luxury and sport.....Unless you want to drive SUBARU LEGACY OR A VOLVO
Old 10-27-2004, 09:16 AM

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts
Oh - no doubt that Acura is one of the better brands out there, but it's not the only one! Anyway, I'm not saying to turn your back on the TL if you love it (I am very happy with my '99!). However (and this is only my own personal opinion), I would be very cautious about jumping into a '02 or '03 TL that is known to have so many tranny problems!! If I had any other car that went through 3 or 4 trannies by 50,000 miles, don't you think I would be saying goodbye to that car as well? That's crazy! If you think about it, although they aren't as luxurious -- a lot of other cars run their entire lifetime on the original tranny! I would think it's a serious enough issue to consider with the TL.

You've just got to weigh your options. I'm sure there are a few people here who haven't had such bad luck with the five speed TL transmissions, but it would definitely be something to think about before purchasing the car. Do you want to risk having the car in the shop so many times for the same issue (when there isn't even a real fix for it yet) and do you want to risk the danger it might pose if the tranny screws up while you are on the road? Those are serious things to consider. I wouldn't knowingly buy a car that might end up spending so much time in the shop. I would think that it would get very annoying.

Just my though
Old 10-27-2004, 10:10 AM
Burning Brakes

03 cl-s 6spd... you'll feel almost at home in that...
Old 10-27-2004, 11:41 AM
Comptech Freak

04 TL or 04 TSX
Old 10-27-2004, 12:21 PM
Advanced

My cousin just got a brand-spanking new Legacy GT with the 4 cylinder turbo. Man that car is quick. And the mod potential is much better than what is available on a TL. Plus you'll overcome the torque-steer problem with FWD since the Legacy is AWD. The only thing is you'll lose the higher brand image of Acura, no HID option unless it's aftermarket, and no Nav option either. But if you're looking for the perfect sleeper, I think that car is it.
Old 10-27-2004, 12:54 PM
Banned

WRX STi > Legacy GT

That's what I'd do if I were you man. A fast car just stock 300hp/300tq.. You should have a look at the new GTO and G35 coupe 6mt as well.
Old 10-27-2004, 01:38 PM
2Poor 2Furious

Originally Posted by stiletto
03 cl-s 6spd... you'll feel almost at home in that...
All the fun of a TLS without the tranny problems.
Old 10-27-2004, 02:31 PM
9th Gear

Sorry about what happened, but the fact that you seem to be in good spirits seems to be good. Hope you are happy with whatever your next choice is.
Old 10-27-2004, 09:43 PM
Banned

at least you're ok

my parents are in madera too, out past milview elementary....you graduate from madera high?

what are the chances of two people on the boards coming from that little ass town
Old 10-27-2004, 10:17 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by samkws
04 TL or 04 TSX

I've driven both of them and I wouldn't mind having the TSX as my daily driver and use the TL for the weekends.
Old 10-27-2004, 11:17 PM
10th Gear

First Of All Thanks To All For The Feedback.... I'm Doing Fine Considering What Had Happened To My Car.... I Have A Few Bumps, Bruises, And Burns From The Airbags ,but Again All Is Well.... Oh Yea. Neck And Back Pains To, But They Say Those Are Normal And Should Go Away Here Shortly.... "i Hope".... X-rays Tomarrow On My Left Ankle , Pos. Fracture.... But , I'm Sure All Will Be Good Regardless.... I Am Just Ready For A New Car , And May The Other Rest In Peace....

Not Sure Yet If The Car Is Going To Be Worth Salvaging.... I Have Never Really Been Through This Before So Any Info On What I Should Do Concerning This Would Be Of Much Help, Not To Mention Highly Appreciated....

Many Of The Cars Mentioned Here ^ Above , I Am Not Yet Familiar With.... During This Rental Car Period I Will Try As Many Of Them Out As Possible...lol.... Best Time To Put Them Through A Real Test , I Guess....lol.... I'll Let You All KNOW How Things Are Going From Time To Time And What I Think About This Vs That.... Again All Is Appreciated In The Utmost Regard....thanks....

Tricksta
Old 10-27-2004, 11:27 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by uncleb
at least you're ok

my parents are in madera too, out past milview elementary....you graduate from madera high?

what are the chances of two people on the boards coming from that little ass town

LOL.... I FEEL YOU ON THAT "UNCLEB".... SMALL ASS MADERA....LOL.... I GUESS ITS KIND OF AN INSIDE JOKE.... BECAUSE UNLESS YOU'VE BEEN HERE YOU DON'T KNOW....
WELL I TOO LIVE OUT PAST MILVIEW SCHOOL.... OFF TO THE SIDE A BIT , ON RAYMOND RD.... BY OREGON, ARIZONA, ETC.ETC....
AND BTW I AM A PERSON WHO CHOSE TO HURRY UP AND TAKE MY G.E.D SO THAT I COULD QUIT GOING TO THAT SCHOOL CALLED MADERA HIGH.... CLASS OF 98' WAS MY CLASS , AND KNOW JUST ABOUT EVERYBODY FROM MY CLASS.... PLAYED BASEBALL THROUGHOUT MY YOUNG YEARS....

NICE TO MEET YOU .... AND THANKS AGAIN.... TRICKSTA