Topic from Type S board. what do they have over us?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2002, 05:13 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Topic from Type S board. what do they have over us?

this is from the discussion about gs430 vs. TL

ok, let's talk seriously. you guys have talked about lighted gauges, trim pieces, and obvious speed, but in the end, what are we REALLY talking about. the lexus is faster, but you would rarely use it in the city. we usually never use our car's potential as it is. for 20,000 dollars more, are you all seriously lexus-washed? maybe its the bigger emblem... both cars have good seats, one comes with a top rated sound system, navi, xenon cool rims, etc while those are all options on the more expensive model. and the TL has more leg room. I don't know about all you people who keep stressing speed, but bought a 2 ton sedan. and the 540i, have you driven one? Infiniti let me drive a 2002 540i with sport package on a track. yes it does have that solid feeling, but other than that... seriously, can we talk about what do they really have that we don't? im tired of hearing all these "wannabe" voices among us as if some of us are "slumming" it until they can get their "real car." Or is all this about the name brand and being pimpin at your local club? just tell it like it is.

WHAT DO THEY HAVE THAT WE DON'T, physically, logistically, metaphorically, anything please let's hear it...
Old 05-03-2002, 10:19 AM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
better quality materials.

and power is power. i dunno bout you... but i use it. heh

but ya... its mostly name. but so what... only reason ya bought an Acura was cuz it is better then Honda name.

Otherwise... what do the TL/CL REALLLLY have over an accord?

****, what do they really have over an Altima!?! heh

its all relative my friend
Old 05-03-2002, 01:39 PM
Team Anthracite President

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
My 2 Cents

I think it's the "Grass is greener on the other side of the hill syndrome."

And the fact that we strive for better things, no matter what we have.... We live in a rat race.

I was going to buy a 2002 530i, that was my car of choice. But I went the 2003 TL-P as a less expensive option, (Which I put $5,000 down) and with 5.5% apr, my payments are just under $525 per month, could you imagine what my payments would be if I spent some $20,000 more for the BMW?

No my car is not a BMW, but in many ways it's better, by about $20k. And the 530 at only 225 bhp, is a bit slow.

Mike Smeezy

Anthracite 2003 TL
Rear Deck Spoiler
H&R Sport Springs
35% Full Tint
3” Exhaust Tips
Old 05-04-2002, 09:13 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well, the overall feel of the car is different, there about 5-20G worth of handleing and extra sound deadening material added,

but then again i can spent "A HELL LOT LESS" money to make my car feel just as slid, and heck, the supercharger is only 5 G

but really, their just getting more prestige and thats it.

the TL is an alsome car, the only reason its in the "entry level luxery" class is that we share the same chassis as the accord, which ment honda spent less money to develop our car, and the savings were passed down to us, IMHO.

add some new shocks, sway bars and dynamat our cars are just as good a bimmer 530, audi a6, or e320,
Old 05-04-2002, 10:06 PM
Racer

A FULL size spare.
Old 05-05-2002, 03:40 AM
Instructor

all up to the buyer i think... why do people spend about 200k for a ferrari when you can buy a z06 for almost 1/4 of the price? z06 is fast as or even faster than maranellos and modenas... now imagine what would happen if a potential ferrari buyer would get a z06 and spend the rest of the money on mods... :wow: but some people still choose the ferrari because it is a dang ferrari... the attention you get is a little different between the two, eventhough the two cars both look darn sexy.... same for us and lexus and bmws and MBs... unless they know what a TL is made out of or capable of, they will favor the GS more because it is still a LEXUS... don't get me wrong because i had my TL for over 2 years now and i looove my car... but GS (at least the 430) is much better than our car when we talk about performance, interior quality, smoothness of transmission, and durability... of course this is the result of 20Gs more than the TL
Old 05-05-2002, 03:52 PM
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts
i cant believe you are comparing a gs430 to a tl....i mean i own a tl...and one of my best friends has a gs400...occaisionally we switch cars....his car is completely stock..w the factory sports 17s and NAV and stuff......people look at me when i dirve it...like people actually strop and stare at the car go by...that doesnt rreally happen to me while im drving my tl (at least not yet )....and its a V8////that means i could be going 85-90, and still have loads of power and kick left....whereas in our cars...85-90...ur not goin anywhere...jus my 2sense
Old 05-06-2002, 02:01 AM
Three Wheelin'

hey people lets face it ,,,,for the money u cant beat our car but if we had money to waste,,,,,,,well then maybe we would buy something other then what we have.
Old 05-06-2002, 02:26 PM
Racer

Originally posted by NsX Pilot
hey people lets face it ,,,,for the money u cant beat our car but if we had money to waste,,,,,,,well then maybe we would buy something other then what we have.
I SO agree...
When I was thinking to buy new wheels I first looked at GM, then Volvo, after that took a look at the Lexus and BMW 525i had top spot for a long while.. and took a hard look at my pocket-book..then I found the Acura...'nuf said.
... still the best bang for the buck..
Old 05-06-2002, 02:54 PM
Instructor

bigger car payment.
Old 05-07-2002, 07:37 AM
Racer

Originally posted by bigjoejack
bigger car payment.
...if I would have bought the BMW
Old 05-07-2002, 04:17 PM
Acura TL-S

Thumbs up exactly

i've been debating the same thing with myself, trying to figure out if i should have gotten a bimmer instead of the TL-S, and luckily i got to go on a test drive with a 540iA last week through that susan g. kegan cancer drive that bmw does. i drove the z3 which was a blast, and the the 325xi(4wd) which was so slow i returned after two blocks, and then i went in the 540, and because i drove the other two cars before it threw off my perceptions a bit, and it really seems like the ultimate car... until i started taking the same turns that i usually take with my TL-S around my work, and i found that not only does my TL-S feel more stable, but i can also take the turns about 10mph faster than in the bimmer. whatever the reasons, considering all my mods, my car drives better than a stock 540, and it still cost me 20k less than the fully loaded bimmer would have. i got back in my car and found it more comfy and quite then the bimmer. the only things i miss are the seats (bimmer sport package has THE best seats i've ever been in) and the steering in TL-S is a little too soft cuz of the design. but other than that, i like my car better than the bimmer, and as far as people looking at cars, people stop and stare at my car much more than a lexus, those cars are a dime a dozen, just like the bimmers. people pay more attention to cars that are different, not necessarily saabs i mean , but something that stands out, and the only way to do that is to customize ur cars... at least that my opinion.
Old 05-07-2002, 05:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

If I had my choice of cars as a daily driver. I'd be in a Lexus LS430.

but for now it would be stupid use of $35,000 worth of difference.
Old 05-07-2002, 06:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

A larger sticker price. LOL

Its hard to say. You know my friends 2003 Maxima is just like my 2000 TL but you have to figure it is 3 years newer and costs more than mine did back then. It doesnt look as nice style wise though. I think the new Lexus may have more to it but not worth the extra money. I like my sticker and it left me money to customize in a unique way changing whatever shortcomings it has with parts that blow pricier competitors OEM parts away

Hey Bobatimez you never posted the address or phone number of that shop that does the blue mirror tint. Id like to send them my mirrors to do and send back. I hate the side glare I get an mine is worse because of my mirror angles. Can you email me at RWTGET@AOL.COM