TLS Eyelids

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2001, 01:24 PM
Purchased: April 28, 2001

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
TLS Eyelids

I've always thought of the idea ever since an accord coupe passed me during night driving. I couldnt quite tell what make and model it was because he had eyelids on and once I got a closer look, I fell in love with it. I know some might think its rice, but for some reason the front end looked much meaner with them on. I want to leave an impression that a guy drives this car, and I think this would definitely add to that effect.

I've done a search on eyelids and were only able to come with 3 threads talking about the subject, 2 on the TL forum, and 1 in Off-Topic about some korean girl having double eyelids. There was 1 link that led me to a site that sells them. I never knew that eyelids could be sooooooo expensive! Eyelids are cool and all but I wouldnt pay $150-$195 for that sh*t. Are there any cheaper solutions out there OTHER than colored tape (which BTW is what I think the accord used since I could see lights going through it).
Old 11-29-2001, 01:50 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well, you could always ... .

if you get colored tape, try to spray it over with some factory paint of the color of your car. That way it'll look less transparent.

You can also try to build these yourself. This involves some PVC plastic and a exacto knife. . a paper template, and then hooks. . You definitely need to attach some sort of hooks to the front headlight thingee. That's how the professional ones are done. . They hook in under on the headlights. .

Hope this helps. . I'm thinkin of just payin the money as I am not what you call. . a handiman of any sort.
Old 11-29-2001, 01:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

Don't ya think the 2002 TL's face has that mean look already? Those eyelids are for owners that want a mean look to cars like the Accord you mentioned which has a rather plain expression, IMO. Besides, it looks rather cheesy or should I say rice. Too "boy racer" But thats just my opinion.
Old 11-29-2001, 01:52 PM
yee
Burning Brakes

IMO...
if you want an eyelid man...
might as well get the previous TL...
Old 11-29-2001, 02:22 PM

Originally posted by yee
IMO...
if you want an eyelid man...
might as well get the previous TL...
Not to diss or anything, but how is this constructive critisism? Why would anyone choose a car because they anticipate on getting an eyelid? As mentioned before, this was just a thought, and it wasnt until AFTER seeing it on another car did I even think of it as an option. I would rather be in a situation where there are vasts amount of variety of parts available to us, but dont choose to put them on, rather than not having the parts available in the first place and being stuck where you are regardless if you're happy or not. I asked for some ideas/options, not for someone to come back to tell me to get another car after the fact.
Old 11-29-2001, 02:36 PM
O.G.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't worry edgalang, I like them. I'll probably get them later on.

Remember, people are entitled to their opinions. You asked and they answered.
Old 11-29-2001, 02:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

Post the link to the site where you can buy them so I can have a clue on what you are talking about???
Old 11-29-2001, 02:59 PM

Originally posted by BlackShadow
Don't worry edgalang, I like them. I'll probably get them later on.

Remember, people are entitled to their opinions. You asked and they answered.
That's the catch. I never asked about opinions, only of alternatives and/or better ideas, not if they look good or not, I think after posting about the subject of wanting to paint my calipers I learned my lesson. So to re-iterate, I dont want opinions, just logical facts please.
Old 11-29-2001, 03:03 PM

Originally posted by bricot
Post the link to the site where you can buy them so I can have a clue on what you are talking about???
http://www.acura-tl.com/forum/showth...ghlight=Eyelid
Old 11-29-2001, 03:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by edgalang

That's the catch. I never asked about opinions, only of alternatives and/or better ideas, not if they look good or not, I think after posting about the subject of wanting to paint my calipers I learned my lesson. So to re-iterate, I dont want opinions, just logical facts please.
edgalang;
Please forgive me sir, should I delete my post? I just didn't go into the "how to" cause I didn't think the whole idea of it on a 2002 TL is such a good idea. It maybe nice on a '99-01 TL but I think it will be a little too much on a 2002 with the big lights.

Bricot, have you ever seen Scnitzer or whatever BMW's with these body colored panels covering the upper portion of the headlights. You often see them on German cars, at least thats where it seams to have originated.
Old 11-29-2001, 03:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

oops, I can't delete.
Old 11-29-2001, 03:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

Thanks Ed,
Haven't seen (or at least notied) those on a car before. I'd like to see them up close.
Old 11-29-2001, 03:43 PM
¤ Club Inspire ¤

Ooooh! I wanna see a pic of these eyelids for the new TL's....sounds interesting. Hook it up with a link.
Old 11-29-2001, 04:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Thumbs up

I like these bad boys too.... I'd take them in black since I have a hood-bra. I contacted Streeteffectz and they're not sure where to get them either. Keep in mind the guy who's selling them for $195 or whatever is ValueTL... those things are from Japan, so that's why they're much $$$$.....
Old 11-29-2001, 04:57 PM
yee
Burning Brakes

my bad...I apologizes if you're upset by my opinion.

I did say it was my "IMO", cuz I was worried that someone would be offended by it.

I know that it looks tight on the pre-TL, I just thought that the 02 TL with eyelids will look just like the pre-TL.
Old 11-29-2001, 05:58 PM

Originally posted by yee
my bad...I apologizes if you're upset by my opinion.

I did say it was my "IMO", cuz I was worried that someone would be offended by it.

I know that it looks tight on the pre-TL, I just thought that the 02 TL with eyelids will look just like the pre-TL.
Not at all. It's not about being upset, its just that I'm tired of people critisizing others for trying to venture out of the ordinary, I understand if they ask, but I know better not to ask for opinions on this board anymore so I try to simply stick to the facts. I'm not saying I would get it, I'm simply trying to do a bit of research in it myself with hopes of getting direction from people on this board on where to look. As a matter a fact, I dont recall anyone critisizing about your M5 spoiler (which BTW I like!...but would personally go with eyelids first since you've already done the 1 inch spoiler bit and I doubt youd appreciate finding me in the same parking lot with your original mod).

Now I'm kinda confused about your comment on "pre-TL"...whats that? You mean a legend? I agree they may look good on a pre-TL, but thats exactly why I'm asking in the first place...I wanna find out what it would look like on our cars rather than just guessing.

Now to comment on TUFF GONG's response.
Shouldn't it be the other way around? If you have small headlights to begin with, why would you want to cover them up even further? Adding a 1 inch eyelid to a 6 inch tall headlamp assembly would not loose as much light (percentage wise) as one thats only 4 inches tall.

These are the only things I could think of that one can benefit/loose from adding eyelids without regarding cosmetics.

Benefit: Definitive headlight line when projecting against a wall.

Cons: Less light output overall.

Other than weight and money, the only thing left to judge is personal taste.
Old 11-29-2001, 06:26 PM
yee
Burning Brakes

na...I meant the 99-01 TL...don't you think that if the 02 gets an eyelid...the lamp will look just like the 99-01 TL's?
anyway, that's just my thoughts...

here's a thought on the eyelid...
use a tape/paper/whatever and cut out the shape of the eyelid you want, take it off and have it flatten, then bring it to a plastic shop and have it laser cut on a really thin piece of platic/whatever, heat the piece with portion of it sticking on the headlight to get the right shape and tape it on with a double sided tape...
I think it might work...
TAP Plastic in San Leandro do laser cut at $25/piece.

oops...there I go again...I just saw PmpLuxCEO came up with a similar idea.

as for the M5 spoiler...I've actually gotten alot of criticisms about it...how it make no difference and stuff...

anyway, I appreciate that you like my spoiler.
and in my thinking...I would luv the idea of seeing other people with it...don't care about being original...don't care what people think...all it means is that "his/her taste is as good as mine!"

cheers bro.
Old 11-29-2001, 06:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by edgalang

Now to comment on TUFF GONG's response.
Shouldn't it be the other way around? If you have small headlights to begin with, why would you want to cover them up even further? Adding a 1 inch eyelid to a 6 inch tall headlamp assembly would not loose as much light (percentage wise) as one thats only 4 inches tall.
My bad...I keep thinking of the headlight covers which gives the car that "angry" look and thought the 2002 already has that look, but on the other hand the 99-01 don't really have that. You mean something shaped like these or just along the top.
Too lazy to learn how to use photoshop. Bad quality job, I know:o
Old 11-29-2001, 09:16 PM
Intermediate

I talked to ValueTL the other day and ...

Yah, since ValueTL was from Hawaii, I gave him a call and found out that none of the front end pieces work on our beautiful '02 TL-S's. . They only work for the 99-01 version. . sigh. Guess the only way to do it is to custom fit it yourself. . Currently trying to custom make that benzo grille ... I'll keep you guys posted as to how it comes out.
Old 11-29-2001, 09:26 PM

Originally posted by TUFF GONG

My bad...I keep thinking of the headlight covers which gives the car that "angry" look and thought the 2002 already has that look, but on the other hand the 99-01 don't really have that. You mean something shaped like these or just along the top.
Too lazy to learn how to use photoshop. Bad quality job, I know:o
Kudos! Nice work. now I know NOT to get the right one. If anything, I'd like to see wider on the sides and narrower near the center, not the other way around.
Old 11-29-2001, 10:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

Like this?
Old 11-29-2001, 11:47 PM
Burning Brakes

I know it is hard but try to be patient for the aftermarket to catchup. Unforunately, the Inspire isn't a hot bed of aftermarket activity. I expect that Value Sports will market a complete kit for the New Type-S. Right not the uncertain economic times in Japan don't help us at all. I own the eyelids and I can tell you that everyone talks trash about them but when you see them on a car and what they do for the appearence. The debate ends right away. What gets me upset sometimes is people ***** about cost of products but when they show what they can get or make for so much $$$$$ cheaper it looks totally out of place on our cars. I demand that every part I sell or buy to put on my car looks in touch with the cars design was.
Old 11-30-2001, 12:29 AM
MB-Fanatic w/TL-S

I like the left pic of the 1st pic TUFF GONG posted.....

Andy Kuo
Old 11-30-2001, 12:37 AM
Banned

edgalang:
"That's the catch. I never asked about opinions, only of alternatives and/or better ideas, not if they look good or not, I think after posting about the subject of wanting to paint my calipers I learned my lesson. So to re-iterate, I dont want opinions, just logical facts please. "

Yeah well...that's how a lot of these posts go...like the altezza post...guy asks "anyone know where to get them" everyone replies "dude they SUCK!" and whatnot I've made some before myself...but dunno where to get em man. There was a website that made them...you'll have to go look on google.com

Austin519
Old 11-30-2001, 01:18 AM
Burning Brakes

Found some Accord ones for $79.99...they look like they might fit.

http://www.import-trader.com/media/p...d_hd_acd98.JPG
Old 11-30-2001, 06:27 AM

Originally posted by TUFF GONG
Like this?
Thanks. If the real eyelids ever came out, Id bet that it would look like the third one the closest.
Old 12-01-2001, 12:06 AM
VDo
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
You can make your own professional-looking eyelids for about 10 bucks and have it shaped any way you like it.

Here's how I did mines on my 2000 TL:

First off, go to Home Depot or Lowes and buy a couple strips of the commercial floor trim (see pic below). The strips are kinda rubbery and come in 48"x4" strips in various different colors and cost like 2 bucks a piece. Purchase the color that is most similar to your car color so that even if you get a rock chip, it won't be as noticeable.

Then trace out the pattern of your choice onto one of the strips. Cut it out using sharp scissors or an exacto knife. Test fit the pattern on the headlight to make sure it is what you want. Flip it over and trace the same pattern in reverse on the second strip for the other headlight. Using fine sandpaper, sand down the upper edges to round them off for a professional appearance. Apply 3M double-side tape to the back, paint, and then install. Heating the lids up a little will make and lids more flexible and easier to install. How long the lids last depend on how you paint them. I reccommend:

1) 1 coat of adhesion promoter (Bulldog, etc.)
2) 2-3 coats of auto primer with wet sanding between coats
3) 2-3 coats of color-matched auto paint mixed with flex agent.
4) 2-3 coats of epoxy clearcoat

As I said, you don't have to go this extreme with your painting, but doing so will make it last longer. Otherwise, just paint it with a can of color-matched spray paint and redo it when neccessary. It's cheap anyways.

Good luck, and let me know if you have any questions.

Old 12-01-2001, 12:59 AM
Intermediate

Thumbs up dayamn. . those are nice!

Dude, that is pretty wicked. . .I wish i had the time/talent to make some of them nice eyelids. . How about i pay you 50 bucks to make me a pair in Pearl White? =) lolz. . . but i don't think our headlights are the same so I guess it'd be kinda hard eh?

Anyway, just wanted to give you big props on them professional lookin lids. . it looks pretty pimp man. . .

PEACE
Old 12-02-2001, 05:50 PM
Banned

VDo:

All I have to say is....NIIIIIIICE!

Austin519