TL Type S vs. Buick Regal GSE

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2001, 11:36 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool TL Type S vs. Buick Regal GSE

Hey all, I'm driving around in my new White Diamond Pearl Type S -- <tear streams down face> what a BEAUTIFUL MACHINE!!!

Hey, my friend has a 1999 Buick Regal GSE, with the 240 Supercharge 3800 Series II V6 -- quick as heck -- and supposedly a dead even heat for the TL Type S and the CL Type S. I'm racing him Monday -- I'm sure I'll have logged 500 or so miles by Monday -- i'm driving this baby ALLLLLL WEEKEND! Any suggestions on how to shift and when w/ the SS -- never owned a manual tranny or SS.
Old 03-16-2001, 12:10 AM
Ain't No Other...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you can use the sportshift really well, I think you have the upper hand...but please dont race before 1000 miles...please do us a favor and just spare the TL-S 1000 miles...I know its addicting but it will be better in the long run.
Old 03-16-2001, 01:15 AM
Burning Brakes

It's not even worth going against a BUICK with your TLS. Just take care of your baby for now.

As fast as the Buick is, how the hell are you going to brag to your buddies that you smoked or worst yet, were beaten by a Buick? Who cares if it's supercharges, it's a Buick Regal, the ultimate rental car and the #1 car found in senior citizen's homes! ;-)

Prove yourself against something better, like breaking in the car properly, so you don't have to deal with all the problems later.
Old 03-16-2001, 07:50 AM
Safety Car

Unhappy

I decided to wait on that race. It's more a personal vendetta between my buddy and I. However, you're probably right -- not many people would care that I raced a Regal GSE --but many people love to hear stories about Cl-S vs. GTP .. so I can't imagine why this is any different.

<sigh> awwwll right, I'll wait.

------------------
2002 TL Type S
White Diamond Pearl
Parchment
Old 03-16-2001, 07:52 AM
6th Gear

Question

Let us know how it goes when you get around to this race. I have a GTP, the mechanical twin of the Regal GS/GSE, and all that torque makes it a pretty quick sedan. I'd like to buy a TL-S... I want Acura quality but I want my power too! I drove a CL-S but I still want to know how they do head to head.
Old 03-16-2001, 12:43 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by PeterUbers:
Hey all, I'm driving around in my new White Diamond Pearl Type S -- <tear streams down face> what a BEAUTIFUL MACHINE!!!

Hey, my friend has a 1999 Buick Regal GSE, with the 240 Supercharge 3800 Series II V6 -- quick as heck -- and supposedly a dead even heat for the TL Type S and the CL Type S. I'm racing him Monday -- I'm sure I'll have logged 500 or so miles by Monday -- i'm driving this baby ALLLLLL WEEKEND! Any suggestions on how to shift and when w/ the SS -- never owned a manual tranny or SS.
I test drove a Regal with the Supercharger a few months ago just for grins. It's a nice car with decent acceleration, but it handles and feels like my dad's old '68 LeSabre. Don't waste your new beauty on this!
Old 03-16-2001, 01:05 PM
Racer

Plz don't compare TL with Buick even just for speed.
U make me laugh, which all the american cars do. lol

Especially their concepts. lol&rog
Old 03-16-2001, 01:28 PM

Smile

Originally posted by TL-SorMaxima:
..but it handles and feels like my dad's old '68 LeSabre. Don't waste your new beauty on this!
Are you sure?
I don't think there was a LeSabre in 1968..
:-)

Old 03-16-2001, 01:39 PM
Advanced

Hey Kuan, how about a Corvette Z06 vs a Acura NSX? does that make you laugh when the vette wins in every category while being about 20 grand cheaper?
Old 03-16-2001, 05:34 PM
Pro

Originally posted by DougTL-S:
Hey Kuan, how about a Corvette Z06 vs a Acura NSX? does that make you laugh when the vette wins in every category while being about 20 grand cheaper?
The Aircraft Aluminium alloy bodied, mid-engined Hand-built NSX with drive by wire throttle and Titanium connecting rods may be edged out in acceleration numbers etc by lesser mass-produced cars....but does that mean a thing ? If the Z06 edges out a Ferrari in acceleration numbers, would the Ferrari buyer bat an eyelid ? Difference between a Rolex and a Timex ?!!!

The Corvette (with its cheap and huge push-rod engine)is a cheap car with very good acceleration numbers and good handling for the price... but the sheer exhilaration of the NSX in full-cry or the banshee wail of the Ferrari is something that cannot be duplicated with 40K Dollars..... hell, I was reading a comparison done a year back by Mario Andretti (yup ! the maestro himself), titled "The best handling cars in America" in which he compares the Acura NSX, the Porsche 911 AWD, the Ferrari F355, the Lotus Esprit V8, the Chevrolet Corvette, the Dodge Viper etc.... by all accounts, the Viper should have been Andretti's final choice.....it should have posted the best acceleration numbers, the best skidpad numbers and so on...

Surprise !! The 2nd placed Acura NSX (whose design incidentally is essentially 10 years old), was barely edged out by the first placed AWD Porsche 911 (note that it is not the RWD 911) by 1 single point....the Corvette, the Viper and other lesser cars, showed their pedigree in Andretti's hands by being relegated to the last couple of spots.....not a bad showing for the domestics with the Porsche 911, the Ferrari, the NSX etc in attendance... does that mean that "good numbers" are just surface deep...that to find the real stuff, you need to be an expert to go beyond such "surface numbers" ??!! Also, an intersting tidbit that I heard is that many top F1/CART race car drivers , prefer to drive the NSX in their regular lives....does that mean anything ?!! I would think that if they can afford the NSX, they can afford the 385hp Z06 too ?!!!

------------------
2000 Naples Gold 3.2TL/Navi - Factory Stock but with up-graded tires

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by hunter001 on March 16, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 03-16-2001, 09:25 PM
Instructor

Smile

Originally posted by JustMe:
Are you sure?
I don't think there was a LeSabre in 1968..
:-)

JustMe,

DEFINITELY sure! :-)

I had to drive the d@mn thing to my high school prom! Of course, that was a LONG time ago................

Old 03-17-2001, 01:10 AM
Safety Car

Angry

Just my luck...

I get to drive my new TL-S in snow-filled Chicagoland -- will winter never end? Nevertheless, I managed to edge out a SS Monte Carlo (I know what you're all thinkin' .. big deal) in the snowy, slushy streets.

The traction control and VSC are great! I felt them working the minute I left the dealership (bittersweet departure...).

I was playin' with the SS, and I knocked it down to 2nd gear around 35 mph and punched ir a little -- the power surge resembles the Buick GS very closely .. It may not have that off-the-line grunt -- but the traction control does handsprings over the cheaper domestic GS!

------------------
2002 TL Type S
White Diamond Pearl
Parchment
Old 03-17-2001, 06:33 AM

Another test driver described the ride as follows:

"...Also, the suspension appeared to be pretty stiff and I felt EVERY friggin crack, pot-hole, etc. of the pathetic Motor City Roads. It was VERY uncomfortable (may not be as bad on asphalt covered freeways as in L.A."

Can you comment?
Old 03-17-2001, 07:40 AM
Pro

Originally posted by Raptor:
Another test driver described the ride as follows:

"...Also, the suspension appeared to be pretty stiff and I felt EVERY friggin crack, pot-hole, etc. of the pathetic Motor City Roads. It was VERY uncomfortable (may not be as bad on asphalt covered freeways as in L.A."

Can you comment?

Some other test driver will say something else....basically you will have to drive it yourself and decide for yourself...and while you are at it, also drive a Sport edition of the BMW 330i along the same rough roads and let us know your thoughts on it...

------------------
2000 Naples Gold 3.2TL/Navi - Factory Stock but with up-graded tires
Old 03-17-2001, 03:17 PM
Safety Car

Thumbs up

I'm sorry -- but I don't feel EVERY bump or crack, i'm not a poet, but here's my best literary attempt at describing the TL-S:

It is very analogous to the ES300 on smooth roads, and somewhat rough roads -- however, the steering is NICE and stiff, and it's torque sensitive -- I FINALLY FIGURED THIS OUT -- in a parking lot situation, when i yank the wheel to fit the car into a tight spot, it is really loose like the ES300 .. however, when i do the same thing making a turn @ 25 mph, it's tight, and there is NONE to LITTLE body roll -- I have to admit, NEW TIRES WOULD BE HUGE!! I'm looking at Potenza's right now, those Michelins are "ok" .. and that's being generous. The car is rock solid over big bumps, no jitters, just the sold "thump" i've come to love in my E320 4-matic.. in fact, I think the car is a hell of a lot more refined that the E320 -- and engine is not as loud as the CL type S I drove (full throttle and gentle acceleration situations).

Braking:

Good, but not as good as the ES300 I owned, nor the E320 we have now. It's a tad too mushy, but not unforgiveable. The ABS is pinpoint accurate under evasive maneuvers in the snow -- i tested this and the VSC all last night. The tires are EXCELLENT in the snow -- so i must concede that. Very heavy feeling car .. love it.

pete

------------------
2002 TL Type S
White Diamond Pearl
Parchment
Old 03-17-2001, 04:10 PM

Thanks for the no poetic commentary Pete.

I have a silver 2002 TLS on order.
Old 03-17-2001, 04:51 PM
Safety Car

Raptor --

Congrats! You're gunna LOVE your new ride. Maybe not as much as I did, because I was going from a Lexus to an Acura (wife drives the e320 -- definitely not a sport sedan).

The silver looks REEEAAAAAL sharp shined up, and it could definitely benefit (any color) from a tint job. Lemme know when you get it, I'd love to hear your reaction and opinions!

------------------
2002 TL Type S
White Diamond Pearl
Parchment