TL TYPE S - Clear Choice out of the Group

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2001, 08:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post TL TYPE S - Clear Choice out of the Group

It's very simple my fellow TL owners. I want a Silver 3.2TL Type S with NAV. The problem is that I have a 99 3.2TL with 25K miles, that in a practical sense I should keep for just a little bit longer. It's tearing me apart :-). I'll wait until I hit the lottery jackpot hopefully sometime soon.

Before the news of the Type S, I didn't know what I wanted car to buy next. Lexus should be coming out with a newly restyled ES300, but it probably would still look conservative and Lexus although a great brand is often associated with older people :-)

Maybe I am getting old, even the Lexus RX300 was looking good, but then I realized that it was a soccer mom's car :-) You know why women dig the RX300? It's because they are the only ones driving them! LOL! By the way the new Toyota Highlander looks good.

Lexus IS300, nice, but small and when you get that small, it seem like a souped up Honda Civic.

BMW 330i with Sports Package. Nice, very nice, but expensive and small. I am sure a BMW is great, but an Acura 3.2TL Type S beats it hands down.

Infiniti I30t, nice, but who drives an Infiniti these days? (besides the dealership is miles and miles away! LOL!)

Audi S4 / A4 - I don't know about you guys, but there are so many engene trim levels & options to these Audis that they try to confuse you! LOL! But the worst thing, here in NJ, they sell Audi's & VWs together, so you have to wait your turn next to a VW owner, so the service is just average.

I have vented and I still want an Acura 3.2TL Type S - Silver with NAV. Thanks for listening!
Old 01-31-2001, 09:39 PM
Pro

Question

As great as the tl-s seems, I don't think anyone w/ late model tl should drop everything to get one. An extra 35hp on a front wheel drive automatic should not be earth shattering. The plain tl feels quick enough. Having the latest & greatest model is an expensive proposition, especially since there are so many changes every few years. If having the latest is very important, leasing is the only way to go, that way you'll always get a new model.
just my 2 cents.
In my quest for a new tl, a am now leaning towards an 01 w/ nav. One of these months...

------------------
- Nick, shopping for an 01 or 02, w/ or w/out nav
Old 01-31-2001, 09:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Turboara:
As great as the tl-s seems, I don't think anyone w/ late model tl should drop everything to get one. An extra 35hp on a front wheel drive automatic should not be earth shattering. The plain tl feels quick enough. Having the latest & greatest model is an expensive proposition, especially since there are so many changes every few years. If having the latest is very important, leasing is the only way to go, that way you'll always get a new model.
just my 2 cents.
In my quest for a new tl, a am now leaning towards an 01 w/ nav. One of these months...

Turbo,

I hear what you are saying, but if you are in the market to buy, put all your money in the Type S now. How could you not? You are right the TL runs great now, but always knowing that you could have upgraded to the high performance version with some major changes, will simply eat at you over time! LOL! But I am sure you are not as vain as me! LOL! ALways go for fully loaded. Type S is the way to go if you are buying a TL now. Don't settle for the base model.
Old 02-01-2001, 08:03 AM
Racer

Hey there.. I'm in Monmouth Cty, Acuraguy. If I were, I'd hold onto your 99 TL for another year or so. The 2002 model is just a 'reskin'. A redesign is expected to be out in 2002 as a 2003 model. Yes, the 2002 has a lot of the features that the current model doesn't have, but you still have a great car! I've been looking into upgrading my GS-R to a TL for the past 1 1/2 years and glad I waited! I was all ready to buy the 2001 TL after everyone was saying they would add all the features it was missing. Highly disappointed when I found out it was unchanged. Almost ended up buying other makes also (IS300 or I30t), but didn't.
Anyway, good luck with your decision.
Old 02-01-2001, 09:19 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Originally posted by Tag66:
If I were you, I'd hold onto your 99 TL for another year or so. The 2002 model is just a 'reskin'. A redesign is expected to be out in 2002 as a 2003 model......
I have actually read (on here) that the redesign will be out either in late 2002 as an '03, or in early '03 as an '04 since this is when the new RL is due. Who knows ? All I know is if you have a late model TL, keep it. Otherwise you'll be getting a new car every year or two.....

------------------
1998 Acura CL 3.0 (Iced Blue) ** Some mods, but who cares, I want a Type-S...
(CL or TL)!!

Moderator - 1st Gen Forum @ www.acura-cl.com
Old 02-07-2001, 07:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by juniorbean:
I have actually read (on here) that the redesign will be out either in late 2002 as an '03, or in early '03 as an '04 since this is when the new RL is due. Who knows ? All I know is if you have a late model TL, keep it. Otherwise you'll be getting a new car every year or two.....

You guys are great, giving me some hope that patience will eventually pay off. Put in another good year into my 1999 and either just wait for the new 2003 Type S that will have some fine tuning, refinement or even a possible revamp, as well as see what else is out there, such as the next generation Lexus ES300 and others. This gives me hope. Thanks for the update guys.
Old 02-08-2001, 04:27 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought the new RL will be coming out next year, and that the 2001's will be the last in it's current form?
Old 02-08-2001, 08:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just remember, add headers, exhaust & CAI and your beating the TL-S by nearly ten horsepower. All for around two grand.

------------------
2000 TL - Laguna Green, Navi, Rear Spoiler. PIAA Hyperwhite HB's. 17" CL-S wheels. Soon to have Comptech Suspension, Sways & Axle back Exhaust.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by MikeS on February 08, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 02-12-2001, 07:37 AM
Not a Blowhole

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
MikeS: You are dreaming. Even if the HP claims for those products are valid, look at the curves - they are peak HP, while the S brings power (torque) down in the midband, where it really contributes to acceleration.
Old 02-13-2001, 08:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Hey Guys,

I originally started this topic and since then I have seen the new 2002 Toyota Highlander. I like it. However if I had the extra money, I would buy it as my secondary car or try to push it off on my wife (so I could drive it), but she loves her 4runner limited.

I just can't find anything that can beat the mid 30's price of a 2002 TL TYPE S with NAV. Everyone says the BMW 330i is nice, but fully loaded that is one expensive car!

Ahh decisions, decisions! I can't figure this one out!

Old 02-13-2001, 09:43 PM
Drifting

Hey acuraguynj:

I don't know what you're thinking, but if I won the lottery, I wouldn't even think about a Type-S. I'd be in a whole other class of cars to buy.

------------------
<A HREF="http://www.adamoski.com/acura.html" TARGET=_blank> </A>
2000 Acura 3.2 TL w/ Navigation
Satin Silver / Ebony Interior
* Factory Spoiler & CD Changer
* Burlwood Shift Knob
* 35% Tint
* Removed Acura & 3.2TL Badging From Trunk
* Removed Front Plate Holder
* Comptech Parts On Order!!!
Old 02-14-2001, 01:44 PM
tea elle

I concur....don't trade in your 99 TL yet. Wait for another year and Acura will have us all drooling over the new RL or the '03 TL...this 02 TL-S is just a re-skin with some bid dopey looking headlights and white guages that Nissan introduced in the Maxima ten friggin years ago.

Just calm down for a while and spend some money elsewhere. Take a trip to Europe, or buy a high definition TV....whatever.

------------------
2001 TL Silver w/ Black Leather
CL-S Wheels w/Pilots
Alpine CD Changer
Burlwood Shift Knob
Old 02-14-2001, 08:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Acura3200:
Hey acuraguynj:

I don't know what you're thinking, but if I won the lottery, I wouldn't even think about a Type-S. I'd be in a whole other class of cars to buy.

Hey Acura3200, I hear you on that lottery winning. But you know what, hell, I'd still get the TL TYPE S to add to my collection of 6 cars! LOL! Once you fall in love, you always have that same feeling!

Old 02-14-2001, 08:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by tea elle:
I concur....don't trade in your 99 TL yet. Wait for another year and Acura will have us all drooling over the new RL or the '03 TL...this 02 TL-S is just a re-skin with some bid dopey looking headlights and white guages that Nissan introduced in the Maxima ten friggin years ago.

Just calm down for a while and spend some money elsewhere. Take a trip to Europe, or buy a high definition TV....whatever.

Tea, I am hoping just like you and patience often brings rewards. Just keep your fingers crossed that a major change will be made for the 2003 model. I have a feeling you will see this change in 2004, since they can't make too many changes each year. And 2004 makes it a 5 cycle model for this current Acura, which is about the max. We shall see!