TL Type-S or BMW330ci???

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2002, 06:48 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The difference in weight between the 3 and 5 makes a huge difference. Big BMW's handle great for their size and handle quick transitions better than any car in their class (check slalom times). However, there is a point on the track where physics take over and I just can't hang with lighter cars. I guess if I had absolutely huge tires but most cars today , even the little ones, have serious rubber. The 540i or M5 is a full 400lbs heavier than a 330i. Just think how much different any car feels with two extra passengers.

I know a guy right now, admittedly a little over the top with track time (55 days last year), who is putting down VERY respectable lap times in a 330i automatic sport with nothing but R compounds and race pads. He is becoming a very competitve driver but the chassis was able to handle the R compound rubber and the brakes have withstood that punishment without warping (second set of rotors I believe). I wouldn't drive an auto on the track but he is doing it rather well.

The only Acura's I see at the track are NSX's and Integras, including Type Rs. Still waiting to watch someone flog their family car around. So far, I am the only one except for the occassional rent-a-car.
Old 02-07-2002, 07:17 PM
10th Gear

yeah thanks guys for all this input.. i love reading this stuff.. i learn from u guys heh.. =) i mean of course treads don't tend to stay on topic.. but it's whats cool sometimes haha.
Old 02-07-2002, 11:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 90 Posts
Originally posted by samkws
i do agree with the easy to drive issue...BMW have rated as the highest safety in crash test...so ppl think they are very safe to drive fast...and guess what...accidents...the insurance for BMW is very expensive in Toronto...
We traded a '97 Integra GS-R for our M Roadster and the insurance rates dropped by half. I couldn't belive it since the car is roughly twice the price, but apparently all the safety features of the BMW really do make a difference (plus the Civic/Integra is such a high-theft auto).
Old 02-07-2002, 11:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Iceman

We traded a '97 Integra GS-R for our M Roadster and the insurance rates dropped by half. I couldn't belive it since the car is roughly twice the price, but apparently all the safety features of the BMW really do make a difference (plus the Civic/Integra is such a high-theft auto).
I've been developing rating software for the Insurance industry for almost 5 years and have never seen the rates lowering by half for a car 4 times the price!

Are you sure your insurance company is legit?
Old 02-08-2002, 12:02 AM
Type SSS

This is getting long. Can someone close this. We talked about this over and over.
Old 02-08-2002, 12:19 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by thejavagod

I've been developing rating software for the Insurance industry for almost 5 years and have never seen the rates lowering by half for a car 4 times the price!

Are you sure your insurance company is legit?
Twice the price, not four times. And yes, USAA is probably the most respected company in the industry!
Old 02-08-2002, 08:16 AM
Drifting

Every now and then, when you're looking for direction, God sends you a sign...
Old 02-08-2002, 08:24 AM
Banned

I'll go w/ the Audi if it's an S4 or go w/ the BMW if it's an M3.......decisions, decisions
Old 02-08-2002, 08:29 AM
Instructor

Safety features or accident rates reduced by an old, er... more mature group of drivers.

I'm sure that comparing the Integra's demographics with those of the M Roadster would show quite a difference in age and income not to mention driving maturity...
Old 02-08-2002, 09:51 AM
Burning Brakes

Agreed. I was still surprised that a high-performance luxury convertible would have rates so much lower than a mid-performance sporty coupe. But the rates don't lie!
Old 02-08-2002, 10:51 AM
Burning Brakes

Twice the price, not four times. And yes, USAA is probably the most respected company in the industry!
I was assuming that your Integra was used and you traded it in for a new M roadster recently? '97 Integra GS-R == $10K, new M roadster == $46000

USAA is a subsidized insurance company only for members of the armed forces and their family, so it cannot be treated like a mainstream insurance company such as State Farm or Progressive. In many comparative rating engines they always come out the cheapest.
Old 02-08-2002, 11:31 AM
AC
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally posted by hemants
Every now and then, when you're looking for direction, God sends you a sign...
Oh god...I would take a 330 over any A4 any day.

However, damn cool picture thought...
Old 02-08-2002, 01:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by thejavagod

I was assuming that your Integra was used and you traded it in for a new M roadster recently? '97 Integra GS-R == $10K, new M roadster == $46000

USAA is a subsidized insurance company only for members of the armed forces and their family, so it cannot be treated like a mainstream insurance company such as State Farm or Progressive. In many comparative rating engines they always come out the cheapest.
Fair enough; I was comparing new prices for the two cars. Also, USAA is not subsidized in any way. They are almost always cheapest, but that's because of the way they do business. They also top out almost every survey of customer satisfaction and service.
Old 02-10-2002, 12:07 PM
Burning Brakes

DID YOU DECIDE WHICH CAR YOU ARE BUYING YET after all these inputs?

What did you end up buying?

My vote is for the BMW 330ci with Sports Package.

Although keep in mind Acura's NAV is far superior if NAV is important to you.
Old 02-10-2002, 01:27 PM
10th Gear

yeah haha.. all these inputs..
i think i'm set on the TL-S. the value, long term reliability, room, nav, and service is a plus for me. the long term cost of the 330 would just be too much in comparison.. and the aftermarket stuff for the TL is much cheaper! so yeah.. =)
Old 02-10-2002, 01:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Rukawa005
yeah haha.. all these inputs..
i think i'm set on the TL-S. the value, long term reliability, room, nav, and service is a plus for me. the long term cost of the 330 would just be too much in comparison.. and the aftermarket stuff for the TL is much cheaper! so yeah.. =)
Good choice either way and I am sure a lot of people here will be happy with your decision.

You are right, the BMW's aren't as reliable (you'd figure they would be with the amount of money you spend to buy them). And also in the long term, it will cost an arm and a leg to maintain after the initial free maintenance period.

But who cares about the long term, since most of us here love changing cars every 3-4 years.

Congrats again on your upcoming purchase!
Old 02-10-2002, 06:40 PM
Racer

Thumbs up TL Type-S

Originally posted by Rukawa005

i will be purchasing a new car in the upcoming months. i have been stuck on deciding between the 330ci and the TL type S. though they are different cars.. what do u like about it or dislike about it? thanks guys!!!
Well, it is a win-win deal: you can buy a Bimmer for 8-10 grand more, and be happy with the 330, or save that 8-10 grand, buy the TL-S, and be happy and richer : )
I have had my TL-S for 3 months now, and I am more than pleased--I hear it has no "soul", but the word "soul" seems to be used on cars that are always requiring more than routine maintenance--perhaps I lack passion, but I want my daily driver to be dependable. The TL-S provides that, for me, at least. Happy hunting!
Old 02-10-2002, 08:51 PM
AC
Drifting

I don't quite understand what you guys are talking about regarding the 330's reliability. What the aux fan? vs the TLS tranny?

It is official, the tranny died on someone I "personally" know. He had his TLS for less than 6 months and now the dealer told him 45 days...F$CK that! He should be able to get his money back. This is not a minor problem, it should be flat out considered a lemon. 45 days is not acceptable.
Old 02-11-2002, 04:51 PM

Technically if you can afford a BMW and can't afford the maintenance, get another car you can AFFORD. It comes with the territory.

Don't BMWs now have scheduled maintenance for the first 3 years anyway?
Old 02-11-2002, 05:01 PM

True, you don't pay a dime beyond oil changes, and my dealer threw in free ones for the life of the warranty, so I pay nothing for the next 4 years, other than maybe tires.
Old 02-11-2002, 08:19 PM
AC
Drifting

Originally posted by TedC
True, you don't pay a dime beyond oil changes, and my dealer threw in free ones for the life of the warranty, so I pay nothing for the next 4 years, other than maybe tires.
Actually everything is free minus tires. Got my wiper blades replaced twice already. My buddy got his brake rotors and pads replaced on his 330i (drives like a damn maniac...last minute braker), got free oil change too.
Old 02-11-2002, 11:01 PM
Burning Brakes

My biggest problem with BMW has been the inconvenience of having to go in for service so often. Yes, it has all been free, but my time is valuable too. I got used to Acura, where I never had to go in for anything except scheduled maintenance. With BMW, even a simple problem requires three visits: one for them to "diagnose" even simple problems that I can explain over the phone, another once the part comes in (since they have very few parts in stock), and the third once they realize they accidently ordered the wrong part. This has happened over and over again. I'll take paying for scheduled maintenance over repeated "free" visits to the shop.