TL Type S or BMW 330i

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2001, 11:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post TL Type S or BMW 330i

Today I saw a 2001 BMW 330i / Silver with the Sports Package. That is a fine looking car. I believe decently loaded it will top off at $40K (No Nav). The TL Type S with NAV is supposed to be at around $35K.

Is the BMW 330i worth the extra money? I think it is, but the interior is still small. Looks smaller than the TL.

But hell, it's a BMW and it's a hot car. I would like the BMW 530, but it's over my budget!

Any thoughts to help me out on this one?

Thanks!

Old 03-04-2001, 09:53 AM
Instructor

I was also considering the BMW 3 series too. I've decided to go with the TL-S for the following reasons.
Although I've never test driven the 3 series, I know I would love the way it feels and handles. That being said, I considered the other factors.
1. A comparably equipped BMW (leather, upgraded stereo, sunroof, etc.) will cost as you said almost 10 grand more than the TL-S. Although I would opt for the manual, my wife would insist on the auto which is I think a $1500 option. The sport stick in the Acura still should be adequate for fun driving.
2. The BMW is appreciably smaller.
3. The performance features that the BMW beats the TL-S are mostly handling. If you're not on a racetrack, this is a moot point. The handling advantages of the BMW over the Acura are only realized on a racetrack. In reality, no one should be puching their car hard enough on the street to realize this advantage. The TL-S will nevertheless outhandle many luxo sedans. As far as pure speed and acceleration, they should be quite close (TL-S should beat the 325 and be real close to the 330)
4. Reliability and maintenance are the final reasons. Everyone knows the great reputation of Acura vehicles when it comes to repairs. My 95 Integra had virtually nothing go wrong with it and I'm now at 99K miles. The BMW is no slouch either but history shows you will have more problems than Acuras. Plus I've heard horror stories of people bringing the their BMW's for scheduled maintenance for over $1000.
The bottom line is that although I know I would love the BMW, I could get past all of these aforementioned factors. I would without hesitation buy a 540I if I could afford it. This vehicle completely outclasses the Acura. But I do not feel that the 330I outclasses the TL-S enough to warrant the 10K price differential.
Old 03-04-2001, 02:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Acuraboy,

Thanks for the insightful info. I do have to agree with you on most of your points. It will be more expensive to maintain a BMW over an Acura over the long term. I think the quality of each brand is very good. I do think that a BMW made in Germany as opposed to a Acura made in Ohio, will still have better quality.

A fully loaded 330i series can get very close in price to a decently loaded 530i series, so I say if you have the money go for the larger sized 5 series. The TL Interior is still a little larger than the 3 series, however both are just too small in the back.

The TL Type S is still the best value, but it's time for a change at times and owning a BMW is what we all stive for sooner or later wheter we admit it or not ;-)
Old 03-04-2001, 04:10 PM
Advanced

After recently paying $500 for an inspection 1 & new belts on my 97 M3 I am seriously considering a TLs.

------------------
1997 Boston Green M3 Lux. 4Door
Old 03-07-2001, 11:06 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by acuraguynj:
[B]Acuraboy,

A fully loaded 330i series can get very close in price to a decently loaded 530i series, so I say if you have the money go for the larger sized 5 series. The TL Interior is still a little larger than the 3 series, however both are just too small in the back.

I just test-drove a 2000 TL with Nav two days ago. I took it out with a salesman in that snow storm we just had in the northeast... Pretty fun. I couldn't get it up to 4th on a back road for fear of careening off the road, but it was fun. I've been looking for about 6 weeks now pretty extensively. I narrowed my search down and have been eyeing the 330xi as well. It's damn sweet, but I'd want pretty much all the options. That takes the price to around $43k from what I gathered. Since I'm a pretty big guy, my dream BMW is the 740iL. So since I can't really afford one right now being only 24 and all, the Acura TL S with Nav is worth the investment. Also if you consider the resale value depreciation according to Kelly's matches the 330xi...
Old 03-07-2001, 11:08 PM

An Acura salesman quoted me $34k for the 2002 TL with Nav and gave me a sleeve of the new car...
Old 03-08-2001, 08:57 AM

The BMW's now include all scheduled maintenance for the first 3 years, right? Shouldn't be anything out of pocket to keep the warranty going. I know several people here at work with brand new 3's and 5's, and they've never paid a dime for anything...

My sister bought an X5 7 months ago... man, what a nice ride. She's in love with it. The build quality is superb.

My play vehicle is paid off, and my wife's is on a buy... I'm looking to lease a car for 3 years, turn it in, and get a new one, so to me longevity's not all that important - as long as it lasts 3 years and there's no out-of-pocket for me except gas/inspection/tags, I don't care.

Right now, I'm weighing the TL-S against the 525i (stick, sport package, sunroof, HK stereo) - believe it or not, the lease payment will be almost identical because the 525i holds it's value so freaking well...