TL-S or X5?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2002, 10:00 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TL-S or X5?

Hey guys. I am in the market for another car since Chevy may be buying my car back. I had the arbitration yesterday, so I should know by the end of next week. What do u guys think being that you all know how the TL-S is and all. I had a CLS before the Z06 and I loved it. Kind of regret getting rid of it. I had Ron install the video on the navi and all. I will do it again if I get this car. What do u guys think?
Old 01-04-2002, 10:09 AM
AC
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What are you looking for in your next vehicle? It's just that you're comparing a giraffe to an elephant.
Old 01-04-2002, 10:18 AM
Intermediate

I hear ya...

I know what you are saying, but I am not sure if I want the truck or the car. I want a truck because I can use it all year 'round, but I feel I can do the same with this car. Like I said, I had the CL-S and it was pretty good in the snow. That's all I had it for was about 4 months and it was during the winter. I know this is an all around good car, that's why I have this dilemma. I just want something I can drive all year 'round and haven't heard any opinions on the X5 from the owners (Pros vs. cons). Likewise, I would like the same for the TL-S. Thanks for any input in advance.

BTW, I like your sig
Old 01-04-2002, 10:23 AM
AC
Drifting

Well, we have an X5 (look at my sig) but it has not seen winter yet, but love the truck! Now keep in mind my truck cost like $25K more that the TLS.
Old 01-04-2002, 10:40 AM
Ex TL-S owner

I've driven the X5 4.4 and I think it's amazing. The ride quality w/the sports package is amazing. I didn't have the feeling that I was driving an SUV. If I would ever get an SUV, the X5 would be it. Good luck on your decision.
Old 01-04-2002, 10:58 AM
Drifting

I wouldn't buy a Suddenly Upsidedown Vehicle.

http://www.discover.com/apr_01/featnewton.html

If you're looking for a true all weather car, get an Audi or Subaru.

But a FWD car with snow tires will get you through almost anything.

P.S. If I absolutely needed a truck (ie. for towing) I'd get the MDX.
Old 01-04-2002, 11:15 AM
Intermediate

I

I hear ya about the roll-over. I am so happy I didn't have a truck for the accident I just had with the Z (although it probrobly wouldn't have happened). This is the only thing that I am afraid of. But with the way the X5 is designed, I wouldn't think this as a problem? Well, I am leaning towards the TL more anyways, but still would like the added comfort of having the truck for those winter months. Thanks a lot guys for all your input.
Old 01-04-2002, 11:30 AM
Burning Brakes

I have an MDX and a TL-S. I looked at the X5 when I purchased the MDX. First, as someone else already said, if you're just looking for all-wheel drive I would look at the X-Type, A4, 330xi, and Volvo S60. If you're looking for an SUV, the X5 isn't really a great choice. First, it has less room inside than a 540 wagon. Second, if you want to take it off-road or drive it in bad weather you have to skip the sport package because of the 19" wheels and performance tires. SUV's have a high center of gravity and even the X5 4.6 and ML55 AMG don't handle as well as a car. I had an M-B, and saw two different ML55's at the dealer that had been rolled over. Unless you really need the space and practicality of an SUV, I'd stick with a car - especially after driving a Vette.
Old 01-04-2002, 12:36 PM
tea elle

Get the Volvo or the Audi wagon. SUV....why? I don't get it.
Old 01-04-2002, 12:52 PM
Drifting

SUV's are for people in minivan denial.

If you need the space, get a minivan!

Don't kid yourself. (except maybe the MDX which has seating for 7 passengers)
Old 01-04-2002, 02:42 PM
MB-Fanatic w/TL-S

Since you already have a Vette, I would just get X5....

Andy Kuo
Old 01-04-2002, 03:22 PM
AC
Drifting

It's true, no brainer that trucks have higher center of gravity, but unfortunately the X5 SP outhandles the TL, don't know about the TLS, never drove one.
Old 01-04-2002, 03:33 PM
Comptech Freak

hey AC

my friend got a X5 4.4 with sport package...large tires and wheels...

and he said the X5 got stuck in the snow...it has no grip....do u agree?
Old 01-04-2002, 03:34 PM
AC
Drifting

Originally posted by samkws
hey AC

my friend got a X5 4.4 with sport package...large tires and wheels...

and he said the X5 got stuck in the snow...it has no grip....do u agree?
I have the exact same X5, and mine has not seen snow yet. Unfortunately I hear that our tires do suck in the snow so I wouldn't doubt it one bit! I'll update you guys when my baby sees the snow.
Old 01-04-2002, 04:14 PM
Drifting

"It's true, no brainer that trucks have higher center of gravity, but unfortunately the X5 SP outhandles the TL, don't know about the TLS, never drove one."

A friend of mine who trashed an X5 in a test drive doesn't believe so. He is a professional driver and when the salesman said "you know, you can push this baby, it handles like a car" he did and then lost control of the back end and smashed into the side rail.

$11,000 worth of damage later, I'm sure the saleman hasn't made that claim to any more test drivers.
Old 01-04-2002, 04:31 PM
MB-Fanatic w/TL-S

X5 SP does handle great, for a SUV.... very close to what 540i would do in terms of handling/ride quality.... but again, high center of gravity should ALWAYS take into consideration before attacking any curves....

As for X5 SP being suck in snow... the 19" rims come with Performance tires which are designed for summer use..... Always have an extra set of 17"/18" with snow tires on the side for snowing days....

Andy Kuo
Old 01-04-2002, 05:50 PM
Comptech Freak

the handling issue reminds me the compliment about X5 a yr ago...

they put a X5 4.4SP to the test track...BMW track...sth like that...and it's only 5 seconds slower than a M5!!! wow...

wondering accuracy of stats from BMW...
Old 01-04-2002, 07:44 PM
Racer

I had heard a *rummer* that the X5 has had something like 34 factory recalls already. Might not be a real safe bet.
Old 01-04-2002, 09:15 PM
MB-Fanatic w/TL-S

Personally, my favourite SUV so far has been Audi All-Road, believe it or not.... but resale value will make you kicking your own A$$ of not buying BMW or MB..... with 2.7T engine and 6-speed, All-Road should be as "tune-able" as S4 and A6 2.7T.....yet with AWD and adjustable ride height....

ML500 and MDX are good alternatives, too.....

Andy Kuo
Old 01-05-2002, 10:49 AM
Racer

If you have your mind set on an SUV then there is no better than the X5. It is definitely a notch or two higher than the the MDX. The 4.4 is pricey though. Also my uncle's first gen. X5 had TONS of electrical problems.

Are you sure you want to get an SUV though? You know you're never going to get that planted to the road feel going into a curve.
Old 01-05-2002, 12:14 PM
Intermediate

Originally posted by 1000bpm

Are you sure you want to get an SUV though? You know you're never going to get that planted to the road feel going into a curve.
Well, there's always street luge....
Old 01-05-2002, 10:35 PM
Burning Brakes

In my opinion the X5 is really not a good buy. Consumer reports gave it the worst reliability record, and of course it is going to be very high maintenance. Insurance is also probably going to be more than typical because it is so highly overpriced. Cargo capacity also sucks and so does fuel economy. Plus the value quotient is downright dismal as with any BMW.

Why not an MDX? Besides its commodious interior it also got a very high safety rating by the IIHS.
Old 01-06-2002, 02:09 PM

Get the X5 4.6IS, the worlds fastest best handling SUV. Stock it runs 0-60 in the 5 second range. My friend has the 4.4 and likes it better than his M3 and Porche Carrera Conv. If I remember reading correctly the 4.6IS runs around 65,000 dollars but you might have a hard time finding one.

Shane
Old 01-07-2002, 09:43 AM
Drifting

"the worlds fastest best handling SUV" will still get outhandled by a Toyota Corolla. That's because it's an SUV not a car.
Old 01-07-2002, 09:44 AM
Intermediate

Thanks guys

Thanks a lot to everyone that has posted their stories and opinions. It is very much appreciated and I will take all of this into account. How is the TLS in the snow (I remember my CLS wasn't too bad for the 4 months I had it (they were all the cold months too). I am really not too sure about getting a truck, but I don't want a car that is going to suck in the snow. I am only 22, so I definately don't want that minivan-mom feeling when I want to go out and drive around. I thought this to be a good idea because of all the surround sound and tv's I have as well as being good in the snow. Thanks again guys
Old 01-07-2002, 09:51 AM

hemants

I'm sorry to say but I have driven both quite a bit and the Corolla dosen't have a chance nor does the TL or TLS. Which I currently own. You must at some point test drive a BMW before you make Diamond and Turd comparisons.

Shane
Old 01-07-2002, 09:59 AM
Super Troll

X5..
Old 01-07-2002, 10:32 AM
Drifting

Hammer, all you need to know are the laws of physics.

Specifically, the weight, centre of gravity, and the lack of road feedback all contribute to the poor handling of SUV's. The "best handling SUV in the world" is at best, still an SUV.

MillYellZ06 to answer your question, a FWD car with snow tires will get you through 1 foot of snow without any difficulty. If you want more traction, get an AWD car (Subie or Audi). If you need the clearance or if you need to tow a boat, get a truck (SUV) but remember that the laws of physics will prevent the latter from stopping and turning effectively in slippery conditions.

Momentum = mass x velocity.
Old 01-07-2002, 10:38 AM
Burning Brakes

Hemants,

I couldn't agree more. The problem with the X5 is that you give up the handling benefits of a car and don't really get the practical benefits of an SUV because it's so small inside.
Old 01-07-2002, 10:56 AM
tea elle

Originally posted by 1000bpm
If you have your mind set on an SUV then there is no better than the X5. It is definitely a notch or two higher than the the MDX. The 4.4 is pricey though. Also my uncle's first gen. X5 had TONS of electrical problems.

This quote is a perfect example of why opinions only as valuable as the source. This guy's uncle has an X5, so that seems to make him feel very confident in the thoroughness of his appreciation of SUVs. I don't understand how someone could narrow it down to the X5 and the TL-S...they are so different that I get the impression the poster of this thread is not that close to making a decision. Anyway, getting back to 1000bpm, he said the following:

"If you have your mind set on an SUV then there is no better than the X5."
I guess cargo space didn't really matter at all to 1000bmp when he chose the X5 as the best choice. The X5 has so little rear cargo room. Not to mention reliability...evidently 1000bpm doesn't think reliability will matter to the person who posted this thread.

"....It is definitely a notch or two higher than the MDX."
This statement is probably based on performance or image factors. The "U" in SUV stands for utility and I think if someone is considering the X5 they are probably thinking about whether it is more practical than a sedan, and I don't think the X5 is nearly as practical as the MDX. So for my money, the MDX is "a notch or two above" the X5 in terms of practicality.

I hope this reply helps the person who posted this thread.
Old 01-07-2002, 11:10 AM
tea elle

I apologize for the reply that I just posted. I got distracted here in my office and failed to read enough of the comments of the guy who posted this thread. My previous reply was off the mark.

I think this guy (22 years old!!!) has lots of cash and could give a $hit about what I just said. The X5 is cool, fast, fun and blows the MDX out of the water. I think the TL-S would be more fun to drive, but this 22 year-old guy already has a Corvette! So why not just spring for the X5???
Old 01-07-2002, 11:14 AM

I agree, If you have seen the X5 side by side with a Explorer it is smaller. I hate to say it but it would almost consider it a station wagon (ugh!). I wouldn't say it is any less reliable than the TL or TLS though. I have had quite a few problems with my Acura and my friend has had no problems with his X5. I'm not saying the X5 doesn't have it's problems. But you can't compare it to vehicles like the MDX, there's very little to compare when the demographic target and price are so different.

Shane
Old 01-07-2002, 11:23 AM

hements

I am very well aware of physics and I am also aware that technology can improve the performance characteristics of any vehicle. Thank GOD your not building my car if you think it's all based on one simple formula.

SHane
Old 01-07-2002, 11:42 AM
Intermediate

I value every opinion

Thank you for posting. I am not going to throw out any opinion. And yes, I am still very much undecided in what I want. I either want an SUV (X5) or another car (TL-S or GS430) in which I can still drive all the time. I know the GS really isn't practical with its rear wheel drive though. I still want a "sporty-type" car that still has luxury as well and that's why I picked this one if I were to get another car. My Z06 can't get traction on dry roads let alone if it rains or even snow! This is the reason for me to get rid of this car. I didn't know it would be this bad in the rain. I spun out on the highway not doing any messing around! Thank you all again for helping me in my decision.
Old 01-07-2002, 12:00 PM
Drifting

MillYell,

Sounds like you wouldn't even be considering a new vehicle if your vette was good in the snow.

Based on that I'd get a WRX or an Audi A4. These cars will kill any FWD car and any AWD suv on wet, dry, snow, gravel, etc. in terms of handling.

The NHTSA has not published rollover ratings yet for the X5 but no SUV thus far has received higher than a 3 star rating.

Hammertone I see your point about technology but technology can only help apply accelleration and/or braking to each individual wheel and adjust the suspension.

The fact of the matter is, if you've got a heavy hunk of metal hurling down a slippery road, then the coefficient of friction between the rubber and the road is the only thing that's going to stop you and the more momentum you have, the harder it is to stop.

Technology can help but it can't change the laws of physics.

Take a poll here on how many people love the VSA on their TLS, I'd say not too many.
Old 01-07-2002, 05:58 PM
Intermediate

Originally posted by hemants
MillYell,

Sounds like you wouldn't even be considering a new vehicle if your vette was good in the snow.

Well, this and the damn oil consumption

Based on that I'd get a WRX or an Audi A4. These cars will kill any FWD car and any AWD suv on wet, dry, snow, gravel, etc. in terms of handling.

Well said, I was also thinking about this as well.

Take a poll here on how many people love the VSA on their TLS, I'd say not too many.

Really? You guys don't think that the VSA does anything for you? I know that's not the case with the Z. I take that Traction Control off and the Active Handling (Which I always do) and the car can't really go in a straight line.
Old 01-14-2002, 01:18 PM
Instructor

First off BMW doesnt even consider the x5 a suv, they invented a new term sav or sport activity vehicle. BMW contends because its sporty and for active lifestyles blah blah. Actually its because its miniature interior dimensions. My friend has an x5 and it has had MANY problems and recalls. The reliability is so far, much worse then my TLS. In fact I picked my friend up this morning from the dealer ship where he had dropped his "sav" off with literally a page of repairs to be done. Im not trying to knock BMW they make kick ass cars, the x5 just seems to need the bugs worked out. As far as handling goes the x5 handles very well, arguably better then my TLS. Mostly due to the huge tires and wheels.The x5 is very attractive and good handling, dont know about snow I live in Alabama. The reliability is a concern though, go to one of the bimmer sites and Im sure you'll find people who agree.
Old 01-14-2002, 06:18 PM
Instructor

Talking Screech.... on 22's!

This is what always gets me... People always say SUV's or SAV's Mainly (X5 or ML55) sucks in snow, cant handle cause it's not a car, to high off the ground, Blah Blah Blah... GUYS IT's A SUV.....Made to be sporty...@ 65K or whatever I damn sure would'nt be flying around coners at 60 mph, or driving though a puddle to even f up the 3 hrs I spent waxing it.... I really dont think BMW made the 02' X5 4.6 with stock 20 inch rims to go off roading with a jeep wrangler or something... They made it so u could PIMP the HELL out of it! Drive up to the club or down the strip and pull up next to the dude with the streched minivan (GMC/Chevy anything) with thoes monster truck 23 inch tires and laugh... because with the 90 15'inch subs and amps it's about as slow as a yugo... Then you pick up the baddest chick at the club and while u are driving to the motel shes amazed how the DVD Navi plays that favorite movie she likes and the feel of real leather and wood on her bare ass and silk dress that she's wearing... In other words its worth it! I went into too much description there... but if I was 22 I DAM sure would get one...
Old 01-14-2002, 08:23 PM
Comptech Freak

millyell

if u want glue sticking traction and power...

get the audi S4 or the A6 2.7T or even the A6 4.2!!!
if u want trucky, maybe the 2.7T allroad...or even the 340hp S6Avant!!!

these cars are fast and most of all, they are elegant, compare to the WRX...
and u can choose 6 spd manual for the turbo ones...they are sooooooo cool!!
Old 01-15-2002, 08:23 AM
Intermediate

Thanks again guys...

Originally posted by samkws
millyell

if u want glue sticking traction and power...

get the audi S4
You took the words right out of my mouth. I am no longer interested in the BMW from all of the rumors and facts I have heard here and talking to other various people. I have decided to either go with the S4 or the TL-S. In which I think they will both be ok in the snow and I can still mod the **** out of them. It just kind of sucks that the S4 isn't available for the next 18 months. I am really looking to get a Santorin Blue with all the packages and the Blue and Black int. I am having a hard time trying to find it (not that that matters as I have not made my decision final yet) but I would like to know that option is there. I would also be pretty pissed if the new S4 has the TT V8 that people are talking about and is very well designed with more options for almost the same amount of $$. I have also heard of the TL-S getting a 6 speed manual gearbox, is this correct? That with a Comptech SC would be pretty great huh? Thanks a lot guys for helping me out on this one.

Quick Reply: TL-S or X5?