TL S vs Audi A-4 2.8

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2001, 08:27 AM

Post TL S vs Audi A-4 2.8

Giving the Audi a drive this weekend and wondered if anyone had insight as to how it compares to the TL S.
Price seems about the same with the options I'd want on the Audi. They also give 3 years free scheduled maintenance that is very comprehensive from what I can tell.
I drove the TL S yesterday. Really liked it but they won't work with me on the price.

Thanks.
Old 03-20-2001, 08:40 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Cool

I like the Audi A6 myself, but the reliability on the Audi's isn't the greatest. I don't know if you can fairly compare the two. The 2.8 A6 only has 200hp and weighs more then the TL-S. I just built an A6 on Carsdirect, to equally compare it to the TL-S as far as options comes to 38,396 as their price and 36,696 as the invoice, and that's without the Navigation!! Even if they won't work with you on the TL-S, hands down it's a better deal. If you wait 2 months or so, it would be even sweeter.....

------------------
1998 Acura CL 3.0 (Iced Blue) ** Some mods, but who cares,
I want a Type-S... (CL or TL)!!

Moderator - 1st Gen Forum @ www.acura-cl.com

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by juniorbean on March 20, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 03-20-2001, 08:49 AM

You're forgetting one thing that makes the TL the instant loser... quattro.

Fling the A4 or Passat 4-motion around a corner and you'll see what I mean. No contest.
Old 03-20-2001, 09:00 AM

Thanks for the heads up on the Quattro. It also makes it a much heavier.
I don't want the A-6 Juniorbean. I want the A-4. The price you're comparing is for the A-6. That is not a comparable car to the TL-S but I think the A-4 is.
I have one optioned out with NAV, Sport Seats, 6disc CD, denon lights and a few other things and the MSRP is @34,000. Not bad.
Old 03-20-2001, 09:06 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Cool

Originally posted by Lawrence:
Thanks for the heads up on the Quattro. It also makes it a much heavier.
I don't want the A-6 Juniorbean. I want the A-4. The price you're comparing is for the A-6. That is not a comparable car to the TL-S but I think the A-4 is.
I have one optioned out with NAV, Sport Seats, 6disc CD, denon lights and a few other things and the MSRP is @34,000. Not bad.
Oh shit, I'm sorry.... For some reason I read A6 instead of A4!! Well, at least now we know the TL-S is a better deal then the A6!! That price you got is probably for the FWD version. Even so, reliability would make me think twice. I still think the TL-S would be a better car then the A4, even with Quattro (minus handling of course!). Now, if we were talking S4, then that's a whole new ball game!!

------------------
1998 Acura CL 3.0 (Iced Blue) ** Some mods, but who cares,
I want a Type-S... (CL or TL)!!

Moderator - 1st Gen Forum @ www.acura-cl.com
Old 03-20-2001, 10:04 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The next generation of the A4 will be coming out sometime this fall. The body will be completely redesigned, along with a lot of other enhancements and changes to the entire car. You can find more info on it here: http://www.autoweb.com.au/start_/sho.../article.html.

If you are looking to purchase one now, you should be able to get a great deal. If not, then you should probably wait for the new A4.
Old 03-20-2001, 10:14 AM

I am considering the A6 2.7T and have been reading posts on the Audiworld site. Inspite of what Consumer Reports says I don't see many complaints regarding reliability. Perhaps it is because of the 4 year B2B and free service.
Old 03-20-2001, 12:05 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,154 Likes on 825 Posts
Originally posted by Lawrence:
Giving the Audi a drive this weekend and wondered if anyone had insight as to how it compares to the TL S.
Price seems about the same with the options I'd want on the Audi. They also give 3 years free scheduled maintenance that is very comprehensive from what I can tell.
I drove the TL S yesterday. Really liked it but they won't work with me on the price.

Thanks.
A4 is smaller, especially the back seats, compared to the TL. I will not compare it with the TL-S. The upcoming 3.0 A4 is a better candidate to compare with the TL-S. The 3 years free maintenance is good. Please save up your extra money during this period. Once the 3 years are gone, you'll have to pay big for the below par Audi reliability (experience from friends who own A4 & A6). In addition, the Audi schedule maintenance is much more expensive compare to Acura. My wife's A4, now in its four year of ownership = warranty expired, has begun to blow bulbs (head, brake, parking light) like crazy. I found a big oil leak under the car last week, and is awaiting repair.
However, if 4 wheel drive is a must, the A4 is the choice. But I suggest to wait a little longer to buy the 3.0 A4.
Old 03-20-2001, 04:50 PM

Edward, it sounds like you've had some problems with your Audi.
I appreciate your input.
I plan to own the car for @ 5 years whether it's an Acura, or Audi etc.
I have heard nothing but good things about the Audi. I've talked to no one that's had any problems. Some even say that if they had a problem, the dealer fixed it free of charge for the 1st 3 years. That, I'm sure, varies from dealer to dealer.
Regardless, I'm going to drive the A4 2.8 this weekend and appreciate all the info I can get.
Old 03-20-2001, 05:29 PM
Instructor

When comparing with the Audi - it could be a clear cut case one way or the other...

Value for money - TL-S
All weather traction - A4 2.8 Quattro
Interior room - TL-S
Looks - Could go either way
If you have to have a manual - A4 Quattro
Handling - I think the TL-S handles better from a feedback and feel perspective - the A4 even with sport package is more numb feeling
Interior ergonomics and luxury feel - TL-S

From a pure performance/handling perspective, the A4 is more tossable and is a safer handler but less exciting at the limit - the TL-S is easier to throttle steer and provides more feedback. Turn-in is much much sharper and chassis feels more rigid. If only the TL had a manual transmission <G>.
Old 03-20-2001, 05:30 PM
Instructor

Forgot to mention - the quality on the A4 still leaves a bit to be desired - many of my colleagues (about 3-4 of them) who have A4's have had nagging problems with electronics, locks, interior pieces etc. One even with a stranding because of some ECU problem.
Old 03-20-2001, 06:01 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,154 Likes on 825 Posts
Originally posted by s2ktaxi:
Forgot to mention - the quality on the A4 still leaves a bit to be desired - many of my colleagues (about 3-4 of them) who have A4's have had nagging problems with electronics, locks, interior pieces etc. One even with a stranding because of some ECU problem.
My wife's A4 had the central locking module completely failed in the second year of ownership, resulting that the gas tank door stayed stuck locked. Lucky that she still had half a tank of gas in the car at that time. She had to go to Audi to have the tank door unlock manually until the new module came in. Fortunally, it was all repaired under warranty.
I must say the Audi service is very good. But think about it. What if the central lock failed after the warranty expires ??!! Although Audi is very strong in the engine and mechanical areas, it is well known for electrical problems.
If you want more info on the A4, go to the A4 forum in "www.audiworld.com" or the newsgroup "alt.autos.audi". You will be amazed by the problems Audi cars have.
Old 03-20-2001, 11:32 PM

my girfriend was considering those two cars as well. The TLS was too big for her. But the audi is a little more expensive for 70 less horsepower. It does drive great, handles well and is very small and tossable. I think it looks a little better as well. The all wheel drive is a huge plus, especially if you deal with any snow. Both nice cars, a matter of which size you like.
Old 03-20-2001, 11:55 PM
The "old" guy

Unhappy

Originally posted by pwaug:
I am considering the A6 2.7T and have been reading posts on the Audiworld site. Inspite of what Consumer Reports says I don't see many complaints regarding reliability. Perhaps it is because of the 4 year B2B and free service.
I too looked at the A6 2.7T. I LOVED that car, but, just couldnt justify its price tag. Outfitted the way I wanted it, close to 44K.. Dealer would go to 41K.. Like the look, feel, power and handling...nothing about that car I didnt like...except the price! Anyway, my TL-S is getting mods put on and I should have it by 3/28.

BTW - the A4 interior room is much less than the TL. The A6 is more comparable for space... I had to have a usable back seat for the kids and being 6'6" tall....I use up the front seat travel. In the A4, there was NO room left for the passenger behind me. The Audis fit me better as a driver than the TL does, but not the rest of the car for the family.

------------------
72 Olds 442 Convertible (dual ram air) Play ride
99 Chevy Explorer high top conversion (vacation ride)
94 Ranger Splash 4x4 ext cab. (work/haul ride)
80 Honda CB750F (Shoei/Kerker) wheelie ride
02 TL-S Aegean Blue (due 3/18) MY RIDE
00 John Deere 4 wheel steer (yard ride...hehe)
Old 03-20-2001, 11:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know what kind of snow you people drive in. But in the NW, front wheel drive with traction control will get you pretty much anywhere.