TL-S Springs vs. H&R OE (and other spring questions)

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2002, 03:40 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TL-S Springs vs. H&R OE

I think I have narrowed my spring search down to buying the H&R OE springs, that is when they are available. However I am curious if the stock TL-S springs are stiffer than the H&R OE. Does anyone have any knowledge on this subject? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-01-2002, 10:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Well, the general rule is that any aftermarket spring which lowers your car will have a stiffer spring rate then stock. The OE's are a very small drop (.75") and from what I've been reading, the ride is very close to stock. I personally just installed the H&R Sport Springs and I love them. They ride a tad rougher then stock, but it's mostly road feel, and they're great. The car handles like it's on rails now too.
Old 09-02-2002, 12:32 AM
Cruisin'

Thanks juniorbean.

The reason for my question is that whether you have a TL or a TL-S the aftermarket replacement springs (OE, Sport or Racing) are the same for both models. However the stock TL-S springs are notably stiffer than stock TL springs and that a lot of feedback from previously posted forum members regarding this issue was based on both TL and TL-S conversions. I just wanted to know if the OE springs give a ride more similar to a stock TL or to a stock TL-S.

My concern with going with the H&R Sport Springs is the fear that the freeway ride will be rougher that the stock TL-S springs. The part that I dislike on the stock TL-S springs is the lunge-rocking ride that you get with stiffer suspensions felt especially between 50 and 80 MPH.
Old 09-03-2002, 09:29 AM
Burning Brakes

there is quite a difference between the stock tls springs and H&R sports..........it might be easier to compare the tls springs to H&R OE. I would definately get aftermarket springs before purchasing stock tls springs, because you aren't gonna notice much difference from the springs you have now. I personally like comptech springs, drops the car slightly, but still retains a nice ride without looking slammed. If you are looking for comfort, get the comptechs or H&R OE.........the sports are gonna be too stiff for you
Old 09-03-2002, 11:31 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by dtmb
Thanks juniorbean.

My concern with going with the H&R Sport Springs is the fear that the freeway ride will be rougher that the stock TL-S springs. The part that I dislike on the stock TL-S springs is the lunge-rocking ride that you get with stiffer suspensions felt especially between 50 and 80 MPH.
No problem

Well, like I mentioned, the Sports were installed this weekend and today was my first highway driving with them.... they are so sweet. The car is so stable and really handles like it's on rails. Turns are no problem at any decent speed (obviously I'm still staying within the limits of the car). The ride is a little rougher, but that's to be expected, but it really gives you more road feel which is what you want at high speed. All in all, I love them. Drop is hot and ride is tight. They're not for everyone, and I was REALLY worried about the ride quality... but I'm very happy...
Old 09-03-2002, 08:49 PM
Lead Footed

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally posted by accordv6
there is quite a difference between the stock tls springs and H&R sports..........it might be easier to compare the tls springs to H&R OE. I would definately get aftermarket springs before purchasing stock tls springs, because you aren't gonna notice much difference from the springs you have now. I personally like comptech springs, drops the car slightly, but still retains a nice ride without looking slammed. If you are looking for comfort, get the comptechs or H&R OE.........the sports are gonna be too stiff for you
accordv6 -

I have a question regarding the drop between the 2 you mentioned. You like both the Comptech and H&R OE, but if I read the specs correctly, the Comptech drop is about 2x that of the H&R OEs.

Is that true? If not what is the drop difference?

RUF
Old 09-03-2002, 11:28 PM
Cruisin'

Still inquiring about springs

I have read a lot about aftermarket springs on this forum, especially Comtech vs H&R Sport or Race and some on Eibach. I am very great full for everyone’s opinion, information and personal experience. However I am still seeking some additional information.

1) Has anyone installed a set of Neuspeed Springs on their new TL-S? What was the actual drop? What is your ride feedback along with any profile photos of the finished product?

2) Has anyone actually installed H&R OE Sport Springs on their new TL-S? What was the actual drop? What is your ride feedback along with any profile photos of the finished product?

That’s all. Thanks in advance!
Old 09-04-2002, 12:54 AM
Burning Brakes

I have seen the comptech drop listed differently several different times. I have an AV6, but the spring part number is the same as the TL.....my drop my 1.25 front and 1" rear. I have seen it listed as 1.75 front and 1.5 rear, which it isn't even close to. The drop is definately not a low one, actually one of the more conservative springs out there as far as the amount of lowering goes.
Old 09-04-2002, 08:09 AM
Senior Moderator

Re: Still inquiring about springs

Originally posted by dtmb
I have read a lot about aftermarket springs on this forum, especially Comtech vs H&R Sport or Race and some on Eibach. I am very great full for everyone’s opinion, information and personal experience. However I am still seeking some additional information.

1) Has anyone installed a set of Neuspeed Springs on their new TL-S? What was the actual drop? What is your ride feedback along with any profile photos of the finished product?

2) Has anyone actually installed H&R OE Sport Springs on their new TL-S? What was the actual drop? What is your ride feedback along with any profile photos of the finished product?

That’s all. Thanks in advance!
BTW... I merged your other spring topic into this one... no need to have two at the same time.....

1) Not many people have the Neuspeed Springs on here. The ones that I have seen report that the drop is quite significant and it tightens up the ride. Those who drop the car and want the stock like ride either go Comptech or H&R (either OE or Sport). Neuspeed is never mentioned with stock ride... at least not from what I've read on here.

2) Well, I don't have the OE springs, but I have the Sport. They are adverstised at 1.5" front and rear and that's about what I got. No pics yet as it's been raining pretty much since Thursday. Tomorrow should be nice, so I'll snap some (which I was going to do anyway... need to update my site )
Old 09-04-2002, 12:41 PM
Advanced

Juniorbean,
Is the 1.5 inch drop considerable, meaning, does it affect the way you drive a lot? For example, on bumps, do you have to slow down to a crawl in order to not scratch your car?

I'm looking to get the same springs, but I'm worried that I would lose the comfort of driving without the worry of scraping the hell out of the bottom of my car!

Thanks in advance
Old 09-04-2002, 01:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by DrunkenMaster
Juniorbean,
Is the 1.5 inch drop considerable, meaning, does it affect the way you drive a lot? For example, on bumps, do you have to slow down to a crawl in order to not scratch your car?

I'm looking to get the same springs, but I'm worried that I would lose the comfort of driving without the worry of scraping the hell out of the bottom of my car!

Thanks in advance
It's considerable enough... I wouldn't go any lower (i.e. H&R Race or Neuspeed springs). I have about an inch between the wheel well and the tires.

So far I haven't had any problems with bumps or anything and i haven't changed my driving style. I drive the same roads with the same bumps and no problems. I've been on some steep inclines (1 driveway and 1 local road) and no problem with rubbing on the tires and not even close to scratching to car. The ride is a tad rougher, but it's more road feel then a rough ride. I love it... the car looks and drives awesome.
Old 09-04-2002, 01:41 PM
Advanced

Thanks for the reply! that's all I needed to know, i'm getting mine installed in 2 weeks.