TL-S scraped while parked on street. I am meeting the guy who did it later. Now what?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2005, 03:58 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TL-S scraped while parked on street. I am meeting the guy who did it later. Now what?

Unfortunately, I have to park my '03 TL-S on the street at work. Since I have done this for almost three years, my car has had it's share of minor scuffs. But yesterday while parked, my car was scaped fairly hard by an SUV trying to squeeze in the space behind my car. The SUV had hit the left rear corner of my car with his front right bumper. He caused a couple of deep gouges down to the black primer (my car is white). He even had my white paint on his bumper!

I took pictures with my RAZR and got his license plate number down and left a note for him to give me a call. Well , he called and says he didn't even feel hitting my car, and wants to see the damage later this afternoon.

My problem is however that my car was previosly hit in the same corner MUCH harder by someone I didn't catch, or leave a note. It left a bigger scrape that my insurance company estimated would be $592 to repair (they cut me a check for a fat $92 since my deductible is $500). I haven't had my car fixed yet because it's leased and I still have to park on the street. SO, what should I tell the guy later this afternoon? Should I ask for compensation or do it through his insurance? I am even in the right since I had to repaint the bumper anyway? Then again, he DID hit me.

http://homepage.mac.com/aquilles/.Pi...06-05_1810.jpg
http://homepage.mac.com/aquilles/.Pi...06-05_1812.jpg

TIA!
Old 10-07-2005, 04:16 PM
Advanced

If you have new additional damage, then he should pay. If it's gonna still be the same cost to fix as your prior damage, then I don't think he technically should pay, but how would he ever know if you didn't tell him?

Also, if he was totally honest, he should've left a note on YOUR car saying what happened.
Old 10-07-2005, 04:27 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by docrob
If you have new additional damage, then he should pay. If it's gonna still be the same cost to fix as your prior damage, then I don't think he technically should pay, but how would he ever know if you didn't tell him?

Also, if he was totally honest, he should've left a note on YOUR car saying what happened.
Exactly! He claims he didn't even feel it when he hit me! He scraped the dang paint off my bumper! Even if there is other damage on my poor rear bumper, he still hit my car, and the only reason I calling him out on it is because I have never even had a chance to see how caused the damage to my car. He is the first one I've caught red-handed! My car has been hit too many times by other thoughtless numb skulls to let this one slide!
Old 10-08-2005, 08:24 PM
Still sluggin' it out

I wouldn't even mention the other accident. Let him think he did it so he'll pay for the whole thing...just my
Old 10-08-2005, 09:14 PM
4th Gear

Let the jerk pay for the entire repair. He has probably hit others and left without owning up to that either. Serves him right! He should learn to respect other people's vehicles; maybe this will teach him a lesson.
Old 10-09-2005, 01:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Love my 99
I wouldn't even mention the other accident. Let him think he did it so he'll pay for the whole thing...just my
Old 10-09-2005, 09:51 PM
WDP Is Faster

Honestly..it's a 50/50 chance that he'll actually pay it. If he's honest..yea he'll fess up to it after he sees it. But if he is not, all he has to say is he didn't do it. If you didn't see him do it, and no one else did (apparently)..then you have no proof...atleast that's what i'm told. Even if he had "your paint" on his car, he could bullshit some stuff.

A thing like that happened to me two months ago..some guy bumped into my parked car while i was sitting in there..and when I got out of my car to yell at him..he denied it..fuckin POS...he ended up paying for it.

BTW.. if your bumper had previous scratches and whatnot, the shop will repaint and repair the whole bumper so you don't have to worry about that.
Old 10-09-2005, 10:56 PM
Racer

Yea don't tell him about the prior incident, its all gonna be taken care of when the body shop fixes tha damage he caused. Did you have a pic of the paint left on his car? That would help out a lot too. And if he denies it, KNOCK HIM OUT!!

P.S: I normally do not encourage violence but had this happen to me too. I eventually got paid for it but the guy kept denying it until he finally confessed.
Old 10-11-2005, 01:15 AM
03 ABP TL-S

Arrow

Install a loud ass car alarm.....have it where the horn beeps plus Audible aftermarket (Viper) (CLifford) www.dei.com 2-way goes off......This way not only will everyone witness the assholes hitting your car... if you are within 2 mile ratius your keychain will beep and lett you know that your car just got hit.......plus its not a bad investment when someone gets itchy fingers and trys to go shopping in your car...