TL-S owners! Need help with Bose stereo, (long)

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2001, 04:11 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question TL-S owners! Need help with Bose stereo, (long)

Just picked up my White Pearl/Parchment TL-S w/ Navi today from Don Mealey Acura near Orlando, FL. Excellent treatment from both sales (Sandy Hurst) and the management. Only add-ons were the nosemask (we got BUG problems down here), wheel locks, sunroof visor, and some nice, classy pinstripes. They discounted the car about $600, or if you look at it differently, they gave me most of the add-ons for free

Here's my situation: I traded in a 95' Maxima which had the Bose audio system. *Excellent* stereo, for a car (and even for a Bose . The TL-S has a Bose setup as well, however, like most, I noticed a slight decrease with the overall quality of sound. Bose has never been known for excellent imaging or clarity in their stereos, but this thing just sounded like it was EQ'd by...well...someone who likes cotton in their ears. However, i dropped the bass EQ setting by 3 clicks, and raised the treble by 1-2 clicks, and I saw a huge improvement over the normal, flat setup (I generally like un-EQ'd music, I never had to alter the Maxima settings). Now to the kicker: whilst messing with the EQ, I noticed at TON of hiss in the system, regardless of source. If I powered off the engine, even the Navi system, and turned the volume knob from zero (dead quiet in the car) to the very first click, IMMEDIATELY tons of hiss came pouring out of the speakers, even with the music source, say the CD player, barely audible. What I would like to know - how many TL-S owners out there are experiencing this? Is it just me? Do I need to get some/all of my audio components replaced by the dealer? (I do NOT want to upgrade to aftermarket at this time, enough money spent on the car!!

Please try what I mentioned above, with the engine off, just turning up the stereo from zero to the first click while a CD is playing, and let me know if you're hearing a large amount of hiss (like an old, overplayed, non-Dolby cassette from yesteryear), and post feedback here. I have found this site and forum IMMENSELY informative and helpful thus far before my purchase today, and would appreciate the help. Btw, with the exception of the stereo? CAR IS AWESOME. Thank you Acura and Don Mealey Acura. =)

AllanC

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by allanc45 on April 22, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 04-22-2001, 01:36 PM
Instructor

Congrats on the purchase. I want to pick up a WDP in the next week or two. Any chance you can post a pic with the nosemask on? I plan on taking a trip from Chicago to my sister in NJ in June. Definitely would like to use the nosemask for the roadtrip.

Hope someone can answer you on the hissing sound. Good Luck.
Old 04-22-2001, 02:13 PM
Advanced

My pleasure: Here are a couple of pics from today of my new TL-S. It's in the road because my friend is cleaning HIS car in the driveway, wtf?

Front quarter
Front high
Front low
Side
Rear quarter 1
Rear quarter 2

Still, any help from anyone regarding the stereo would help. Does anyone know if the head unit/amps are seperate? Or could they be replaced all as one? Thanks!

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by allanc45 on April 22, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 04-22-2001, 02:26 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by allanc45:

Please try what I mentioned above, with the engine off, just turning up the stereo from zero to the first click while a CD is playing, and let me know if you're hearing a large amount of hiss (like an old, overplayed, non-Dolby cassette from yesteryear), and post feedback here. I have found this site and forum IMMENSELY informative and helpful thus far before my purchase today, and would appreciate the help. Btw, with the exception of the stereo? CAR IS AWESOME. Thank you Acura and Don Mealey Acura. =)

AllanC

actually, now that you mention it, yes, I remember hearing a hiss on the first click
but it goes away as the volume goes up.
in my case, for some reason, that first click is the bad volume level. I remember this happening quite a few times when listening to the radio.

Old 04-22-2001, 02:58 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 494 Likes on 230 Posts
Thumbs up

allanc45, Nice pictures! I wish the nose mask fit on cars with the front spoiler . I already am getting some nicks in the front...

Congrats on the car.....

:-jon

------------------
-------------------------------------------
2002 TL-S NAV Black/Black
w/Spoiler, Body Kit, Bowling Ball Wheel,
Bowling Ball Gauge & Vent Trim Kit
Comptech Springs
Comptech Exhaust
Pictures at:
<A HREF="http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=1626677&f=0

" TARGET=_blank>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=1626677&f=0

</A>
Old 04-22-2001, 03:09 PM
Intermediate

Thumbs down

yeah mine does the same. i asked the dealer he said it's normal. i don't really care. i'll be putting in a system in soon.

latez

btw nice car, i don't see many wdp in ontario.
Old 04-22-2001, 05:00 PM
Racer

allanc45:

The first time I played one of my CD's I was so disappointed with the "woolly" sound that I was forced to go for the EQ controls. Both the treble & bass were set at the maximum levels ... I reduced the bass by 2 clicks and left the treble as it was.

The mid & high frequencies immediately improved. My guess is that our TLS's come with the treble & bass set at the maximum levels by default, and that the maximum bass EQ clouds out the resolution of the system. Reducing the bass by a couple of clicks somewhat improves the overall resolution of the music, but needless to say this is at the expense of bass. For those who like to hear the bass in their music this compromise obviously would not work.

There was NO hiss when I played around with the bass and treble levels. If you're going to replace the system as I am, then getting the dealer to take a look at your unit would be a waste of your time. But if you're going to live w/ the Bose/Alpine for a while I would get the dealer to take a look at it.

It’s a shame acura didn't do a better job w/ the system.
Old 04-22-2001, 05:07 PM

Allanc45,
I also live in the Orlando area and will be buying a TL-S this Fall after I see what the new ES300 looks like. Did you shop around at any other Acura dealers for the best deal such as Fountain Acura (On S. OBT)? I'm afraid to test drive this bad boy until I'm ready to buy. I know I'll the fever worse than I have it now. Having the brouchure and visiting this site is torture enough. It's sooo hard to be patient. Thanks for your input. BTW, the mask looks NICE.
Old 04-22-2001, 05:22 PM
Instructor

Exclamation

I never really liked nose masks much, but this mask really makes the lights and grill stand out. Looks pretty good.
Old 04-22-2001, 07:25 PM
Advanced

Y2k Grad:

Yes I shopped around for a long time before signing. I actually test drove the TL-S in Atlanta while there on business several weeks back, at Ed Voyles Acura.

In Orlando, I checked both Don Mealey and Fountain on OBT. Both offered almost exact deals - as of yesterday - about $600-700 off MSRP, no more. But I got the $600-700 while also getting more for my trade than I think they wanted to give.

I bought at the end of the month, when the dealers are more jittery about trying to meet end-of-month quotas, and so are salespeople, eager to keep their jobs. Don Mealey overall gave me a better around treatment, especially in the offer they made for my trade in, so I would say, definately go there.

My sales consultant was *very* nice and straightforward, not shady or slick at all. Her name is Sandy Hurst, and the sales Manager there is a straight shooter as well - Tommy. Check them out, and don't fear the test drive!!!!

Old 04-22-2001, 07:29 PM
Advanced

Angry

Update:

I went to the dealership today and tried several different TL and TL-S Bose stereos to see if they hissed also... THEY ALL DO The good news is, the hissing does not get louder as you turn up the volume. So with the engine on, you almost totally cannot hear it, unless you are listening to very light classical or jazz. Guess they cheaped out somewhere in the head unit/amps, as well as the single 4" woofers for mids and highs (what the hell is up with THAT? No seperate tweeters on a premium stereo? Even HYUNDAI's have those >

Well, I have NEVER been one for modifying my car, but I think I will definately replace the stock speakers with some 4" coaxial drivers...just have to shop. Anyone know how to *safely* get the speaker covers off?

Allan
Old 04-22-2001, 08:25 PM
Pro

Smile

If any of you want to sell your stock 02' head unit email me

------------------
2000 Fire Pepper Red/ebony TL, non-navi. factory spoiler, std chrome wheels, 35% tint, comptech exhaust, wood trim kit, factory body kit, custom grill...
Quiets ride
Old 04-22-2001, 08:25 PM
Instructor

Thanks Allan,

The car looks great!!!!
Old 04-22-2001, 08:33 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by allanc45:
Update:

Well, I have NEVER been one for modifying my car, but I think I will definately replace the stock speakers with some 4" coaxial drivers...just have to shop. Anyone know how to *safely* get the speaker covers off?

Allan
I have read in this site that the cover doesnt come off. the whole door panel needs to come off. you might wanna run a search through the "audio and electronics" forum.
Old 04-22-2001, 09:19 PM
Sporty X type

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Nice looking car. However, did u ck on a clear type bra?? I mho, I don't like nose masks, regular bra's. CleaR BRA'S/ MATERIAL IS MUCH BETTER.Ck out my sig for link 2 pics of 3M clear bra. Sorry to hear about the stereo. That seems to be the way Acura holds prices, is by using cheaper "stuff" in certain things!
------------------
2000 3.2 TL Laguna Green
29% window tint, Clear bra, no nav
225/50/16 Aqua-Flow GTW's on OEM wheels
http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/lrpba300?...l=fld3&.src=ph

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by Lrpba300 on April 22, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 04-22-2001, 09:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
Thanx for those closeup pics of the clear bra Lrpba300. I am waiting to get one as well, but X-pel doesnt have them in for our cars yet. Maybe I can try and get some kind of group discount going once they have finally got a 2002 to work on. Who did your install??

I have a few questions on the kit that I hope you can answer for me.

1. In the pics there's a cut next to your front grill; was this the templated kit, or was it custom cut??
2. Do you have the clear bra on the bumper as well??
3. And is the clear bra in that passenger side front low shot?? If so you cant even see the bra in that pic. Thanx again
Old 04-22-2001, 10:26 PM
Sporty X type

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by Mr Hyde:
......Who did your install??

I have a few questions on the kit that I hope you can answer for me.

1. In the pics there's a cut next to your front grill; was this the templated kit, or was it custom cut??
2. Do you have the clear bra on the bumper as well??
3. And is the clear bra in that passenger side front low shot?? If so you cant even see the bra in that pic. Thanx again
Do a search on subject, b/c I've given info before. It ISN'T x=pel. It's installed by a 3M dealer, & it's called Clear Bra. No, its not on bumper, but it can be, I had it custom installed & the installer cut it to what I wanted. It's also on the back of the mirror's. It's a better product than the X-pel, (IMHO)and the dealer guarantee's it. They did the tint job also.The Clear bra is very hard to see at certain angles. That's one of the many reasons I like it ALOT!

------------------
2000 3.2 TL Laguna Green
29% window tint, Clear bra, no nav
225/50/16 Aqua-Flow GTW's on OEM wheels
http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/lrpba300?...l=fld3&.src=ph
Old 04-23-2001, 12:30 AM
Racer

Lrpba300,
how much did it cost you for that clear bra both for the part and how much for the labor?
also any opinion on a clear lens protection for the headlights (heard of any good brand to use) my previous honda was hit by a pebble on the headlight and of course there was a crack on my headlight so i want to avoid that from happening on my TL-S.