TL-S Impressions - Driving, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2001, 12:02 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 482 Likes on 224 Posts
No need for a flame! You are right on some points. The "black wood" takes a while to get used to. On initial viewing, it does look worse than the wood colored fake wood. They are, both however, fake.

As a 99TL owner, I disagree with the part about the ride being "jittery and unsettled" compared to a TL-P. Maybe it was that particular car, or just the "sport tuning", whatever that may be. Or, the 00TL has a different ride than my 99TL did.

On the body roll, I must say that the CompTech springs take care of that, but that life before the springs was pretty much the same as my 99TL.

For the $$, the TL-S *IS* a great sports sedan, but it cannot be compared to cars costing 5K-100K more. It's not trying to be those cars.

As for the black wood, well...... there's not much that can be said. Hey, it looks great on the steering wheel!

:-jon

------------------
-------------------------------------------
2002 TL-S NAV Black/Black
w/Spoiler, Body Kit, Bowling Ball Wheel,
Bowling Ball Gauge & Vent Trim Kit
Comptech Springs
Comptech Exhaust
Pictures at:
<A HREF="http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=1626677&f=0

" TARGET=_blank>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=1626677&f=0

</A>
Old 04-23-2001, 02:34 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmmm...to each is own I guess.

I just traded my 2000 TL in for a TL-S and I'm loving every minute of it. I've driven some fast, windy roads that I've taken my TL over and I think the handling of the TL-S is MUCH improved over the TL. I also took a long trip this weekend on a combo of freeways and backroads and I enjoyed the
TL-S much more in both cases. The car just has a tighter feel on the freeway and doesn't want to wander like the TL does and it is more quiet inside. When you hit the backroads the fun really begins. I really enjoyed throwing this car around on the curves. It doesn't handle as well as my 94 GSR did with upgraded shocks and tires, but it is a heck of a lot better than my 00 TL.

It has been, on all accounts, a much better car than my test drive led me to believe, of course I could just have new car fever

------------------
Fins^
2002 TL-S w/Navi
Satin Silver
Old 04-23-2001, 03:09 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by black2000:
I went back to my dealership yesterday to take a TL-S for a drive.

First, some background: I've owned a 2000 TL for about eight months now, and am very happy with it. Its shortcomings (as far as I'm concerned) are in its handling - It has more body roll and less grip than I'd ultimately like. I have no real complaints about power, certainly none about equipment!

So, I was wondering if the TL-S would address my issues. I found that it didn't.

First, the good stuff. More power is always better than less, and the 260hp engine is definitely stronger than the base 225. It also screams louder under full throttle, while being just as civilized under light throttle. Grip was also up - in tight, fast corners, the car felt like it was hanging on with much more confidence.

However, I felt that the ride was overly comprimised for the small handling gains. The TL-S felt more jittery and unsettled over broken pavement, and more bump-noise seemed to leak through. And there was still a lot more body roll that I expected! Although I liked that the driver's seat was firmer, it was too broad for my (admittedly) slim butt, and I slipped around a little bit in fast corners.

I know that my driving opinion was slightly colored by my driving environment. The interior in the car I drove was charcoal, and I absolutely HATE that 'black wood' trim. It made the interior seem bleak and drab, and significantly cheaper looking than the 'real' wood in my TL. It felt less luxurious, but it did not feel more sporty.

I guess my bottom line is that I feel the TL's fundamental character is better captured in the base TL. The TL-S felt to me like an attempt to turn the TL into something it really isn't - a full-blown sports sedan.

I can't help but compare it to the BMWs I've driven, which accomplish the very impressive trick of being compliant over the rough stuff and flat and composed in hard corners, both luxurious and sporty.

If I was buying a TL now, I think I'd be buying the base model in Anthracite. I'd really miss the Type-S's ASR, and I'd sort of miss the 260hp, but I wouldn't miss the ride, and I definitely wouldn't miss that interior!

That's my impression. Flame me if you must.

As far as the "jittery" ride, the tire pressure can be a factor. I've seen several posts about overinflated tires from the dealers. I sort of ignored this but then this past weekend I decided to check the pressure (3 weeks after taking delivery). All four tires were at least 42 PSI! The manual recommends 32 all around. I tend to like a stiffer ride so I reduced it to 34 PSI. Car rides much smoother over bumps. Look into it!

------------------
95 Integra GS-R Stock

2002 TL-S Aegean blue
Old 04-23-2001, 03:16 PM
MB-Fanatic w/TL-S

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

Body-Roll?? You wanna ride in my S-Class, then tell me about it.... J/K

The unsettle ride might related to the tire pressure. It seems that many dealers over=inflated the tires, and I also found that there is actually more impact on the handle when tires are under/over inflatted than most of ppl think.

To me, I felt that '02 TL and TLS drives differently enough, and TLS definitely has a firmer ride, yet it's not too harsh. TL definitely has more comfortable ride, and more body-roll....

Andy Kuo

------------------
'92 Mercedes-Benz 400SE
Pearl Grey/Black

'02 Acura TL-S
Satin Silver/Ebony

Mercedes-Benz S-Class
Old 04-23-2001, 05:56 PM
Instructor

Exclamation

black2000, as others have already said, check the tire pressure on the Type-S before you drive. I had the exact same feelings you did about the ride (I came from a 2001 TL-P) and just checked my Type-S's pressure--It was in the low 40's on all tires! No wonder! After lowering it to the recommended 32psi, the ride was only slightly "harder" than the TL-P but with no loss in handling.

Before I bought the Type-S, I went back and forth in my head whether I should get the TL-P or the Type-S. The TL-P seemed more like me. I didn't really give a hoot about the extra horsepower or VSA and I too didn't like the blackwood trim at first but it does grow on you. My biggest complaint about the Type-S's interior were ugly headrests. But I've grown to like them too. To me, the Type-S has a very different character than the 2001 TL-P I owned. It has much more personality. It's the first car I've every owned that I want to "name." I take drives at midnight just for the sake of driving this wonderful car. Take it from someone who owned a TL-P, you will not regret the Type-S one minute. I used to think a car was car. Not anymore--my new Type-S and Acura-TL.com have made me an "enthusist!"
Old 04-23-2001, 10:58 PM

That too was my disappointment when I first got the TL-S but it does get better as you break it in. I still think the option of adjustable suspension would have been justified in this car.
Old 04-23-2001, 11:12 PM
Racer

Post TL-S Impressions - Driving, etc.

I went back to my dealership yesterday to take a TL-S for a drive.

First, some background: I've owned a 2000 TL for about eight months now, and am very happy with it. Its shortcomings (as far as I'm concerned) are in its handling - It has more body roll and less grip than I'd ultimately like. I have no real complaints about power, certainly none about equipment!

So, I was wondering if the TL-S would address my issues. I found that it didn't.

First, the good stuff. More power is always better than less, and the 260hp engine is definitely stronger than the base 225. It also screams louder under full throttle, while being just as civilized under light throttle. Grip was also up - in tight, fast corners, the car felt like it was hanging on with much more confidence.

However, I felt that the ride was overly comprimised for the small handling gains. The TL-S felt more jittery and unsettled over broken pavement, and more bump-noise seemed to leak through. And there was still a lot more body roll that I expected! Although I liked that the driver's seat was firmer, it was too broad for my (admittedly) slim butt, and I slipped around a little bit in fast corners.

I know that my driving opinion was slightly colored by my driving environment. The interior in the car I drove was charcoal, and I absolutely HATE that 'black wood' trim. It made the interior seem bleak and drab, and significantly cheaper looking than the 'real' wood in my TL. It felt less luxurious, but it did not feel more sporty.

I guess my bottom line is that I feel the TL's fundamental character is better captured in the base TL. The TL-S felt to me like an attempt to turn the TL into something it really isn't - a full-blown sports sedan.

I can't help but compare it to the BMWs I've driven, which accomplish the very impressive trick of being compliant over the rough stuff and flat and composed in hard corners, both luxurious and sporty.

If I was buying a TL now, I think I'd be buying the base model in Anthracite. I'd really miss the Type-S's ASR, and I'd sort of miss the 260hp, but I wouldn't miss the ride, and I definitely wouldn't miss that interior!

That's my impression. Flame me if you must.

------------------
David

Black-on-Black non-NAV 2000

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by black2000 on April 23, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 04-23-2001, 11:25 PM
Pro

Interesting observation.

I also come from a BMW driving experience. (2K 323I) to be exact. BMW is truly a very good driving experience. I think the TL-S is not bad either. BMW is lower, give me a more firm grip driving experinece on the road. However, this driving experinece is not worth it, my BMW giving me a lot of problem in the first year of ownership. It just keeps on having little problems here and there. It jsut turn you off.

------------------
2002 Acura TL Type S
Nighthawk Black Pearl
Parchment Leather