Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2003, 03:53 PM
l33t

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb TL-P to TL-S Conversion

Guyz,
This was a discussed a little bit in this topic:

http://www.acura-tl.com/forum/showth...threadid=48675

Ok, the big thing was that if you used the TLS throttle body, you would have to add the VSA system, and the ECU blah blah blah...

I have a '99 TL, and my GRANDMOTHER has a TL-S (why?). I compared them today, there is a throttle assembly of some sort I can't identify mounted on the rear of the motor, right above the rear plugs. If I had to guess, I would say that’s the VSA module that control engine throttling... I cant think of anything else that it would be. Also, all of the hoses, electrical connectors and such are also the same between the actual TLP and TLS throttle body, but the TLS throttle body is longer, thus needing a different intake box. I’m pretty sure there’s also no computer control for the throttle body on a TLP and a TLS. Its totally mechanically driven, at least I *think*...

So here’s the theory:
If I installed the TLS throttle body, I would have to get the AEM CAI for TLS. Unless I wanted to start cutting, no thanks. So a TLS throttle body and a TLS intake in a TLP. Will it work? I’m confident it will. As long as there’s no computer control over the throttle body, the car would never know the difference. It would just go MUCH faster.

Granted, the TLS also has different cams, and a few tiny other things, but the big difference in at 35 extra HP is that throttle body. Throw it on a TLP and what would happen?? The only thing I can think that may screw something up is the fuel mixture??? maybe???

If anyone has any input, please let me know. I don’t think the TLS throttle body would be too terribly expensive, and even if it was $250 it would still be worth it if you got 15-25 HP out of it. I’m going to call tomorrow and get a price.

Input please guys!!!

Darkshear
Old 01-01-2003, 05:05 PM
Peach Tea

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: TL-P to TL-S Conversion

Originally posted by Darkshear

Darkshear
i doubt that by changing the throttle body you will be closer to type S horsepower. if this was the case i think it would have been done by now. they are only .5 inches different in diameter, i wouldn't think that would cause that much of a difference. maybe im wrong but i think there would be something else thats being overlooked .
Old 01-01-2003, 05:56 PM
On the way!

Are you talking about that first butterfly valve you see if you take off the intake hose? If so, that's not the throttle - it's what VSA uses to reduce engine power.

There are a lot more differences - like compression ratio, exhaust system, different block (spin cast liners), etc.
Old 01-01-2003, 06:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

Re: TL-P to TL-S Conversion

Originally posted by Darkshear
Guyz,
This was a discussed a little bit in this topic:

http://www.acura-tl.com/forum/showth...threadid=48675

Ok, the big thing was that if you used the TLS throttle body, you would have to add the VSA system, and the ECU blah blah blah...

I have a '99 TL, and my GRANDMOTHER has a TL-S (why?). I compared them today, there is a throttle assembly of some sort I can't identify mounted on the rear of the motor, right above the rear plugs. If I had to guess, I would say that’s the VSA module that control engine throttling... I cant think of anything else that it would be. Also, all of the hoses, electrical connectors and such are also the same between the actual TLP and TLS throttle body, but the TLS throttle body is longer, thus needing a different intake box. I’m pretty sure there’s also no computer control for the throttle body on a TLP and a TLS. Its totally mechanically driven, at least I *think*...

So here’s the theory:
If I installed the TLS throttle body, I would have to get the AEM CAI for TLS. Unless I wanted to start cutting, no thanks. So a TLS throttle body and a TLS intake in a TLP. Will it work? I’m confident it will. As long as there’s no computer control over the throttle body, the car would never know the difference. It would just go MUCH faster.

Granted, the TLS also has different cams, and a few tiny other things, but the big difference in at 35 extra HP is that throttle body. Throw it on a TLP and what would happen?? The only thing I can think that may screw something up is the fuel mixture??? maybe???

If anyone has any input, please let me know. I don’t think the TLS throttle body would be too terribly expensive, and even if it was $250 it would still be worth it if you got 15-25 HP out of it. I’m going to call tomorrow and get a price.

Input please guys!!!

Darkshear
WOAH i hate to be a d*ck and pop your bubble but NO it wont work....here are 2 things you first shoudl clearify, that cable/actuator on the type s at the rear banks of the engine near the spark plug is the type S intake plume actuator, if you read up and do research on the type s there is a actuator that opens and close the intake manifold internal butterfly to take use of the air's velocity and mass, since air has mass, it must have momentum, and by opening up chambers as each other cylinders close the open ones will benifit from a supercharging effect as the momentum of the air will rush into the open cylinders.thats control module has nothing to do with the throttle or throttle body.

the reason the type s throttle body is longer us cus the type s engine uses 2 throttle body's if you may, one at the very inside hard to see is the one that regulates the throttle by our foot, the outter most visible one is the vsa throttle, thats how the vsa is able to shut off the engines power, even when we floow the engine the outter throttle body is opening and closing...get it? any how aside from this the gains you will get will be on par if not less than what a intake would give you....because the real power adders on the type s over the tl-p are the compression, cam profile, and fuel curve(able to rev higher) aside from that your simply just wasting your money
Old 01-01-2003, 09:34 PM
Racer

Darkshear....it will be easier, cheaper, less of a headache and you'll have a better time having your warranty honored if you sell you TLP and buy a TLS.
Old 01-02-2003, 07:49 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
And the biggest issue is that you drive a 99 TL. The intake manifold is totally different. Unless you plan to buy the intake manifold as well as all the electronics....it ain't gonna work.

99TL

00-03TL
Old 01-02-2003, 08:19 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Exclamation Not worth it

Originally posted by Ray_Khan
Darkshear....it will be easier, cheaper, less of a headache and you'll have a better time having your warranty honored if you sell you TLP and buy a TLS.
People who have the 2002+ TLP looked into this and it just wasn't possible w/o a lot of money and work.... with a 1999 it would be even worse. Plus, don't the 1999 models have a 4-speed auto as opposed to a 5-speed? I'm not 100% sure on that, but if that's the case... it's a worst case scenerio that's not worth it IMO. Just do like Ray said and buy a TL-S.....
Old 01-02-2003, 08:31 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Re: Not worth it

Originally posted by juniorbean
...Plus, don't the 1999 models have a 4-speed auto as opposed to a 5-speed?...
Yup, another fly in the ointment.
Old 01-02-2003, 02:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Let's ask another question- If Acura only got 35hp out of larger throttle body, dual stage intake, bigger cam, and bumping the compression nearly a full point, why do you think you would get 15-25hp out of just a throttle body?

You won't.
Old 01-02-2003, 03:16 PM
Instructor

If you compare the TL-P with the TL-S dyno test, the horse power is really pretty close. It is only when you add another + or - 1k more engine RPM's with the TL-S is where some of the extra HP's come from. I think the TL-S engine probally better built to handle the extra RPM's. Honda is real good at the RPM war. BMW seemed to hit a homer with their M3. Same idea.... more RPM's = more HP's .
Try driving both cars and see if you agree with the performance below 6k.
Old 01-02-2003, 03:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
has any one tried putting the nsx intake and DOHC heads on a tl yet?
Old 01-02-2003, 06:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

wow the nsx heads on the tl...i doubt it would work cus the block design would be different and wouldnt bolt up the same, plus it would be hard to fabricate a pully set to handle the more longer and twisties of the added 4 cam belt.....anyways the head alone would be worth gold....