Are the TL deals gone or getting better?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2001, 08:47 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are the TL deals gone or getting better?

I'm curious what people are paying now for their TL's and TL-S'. Even with the economy in slowdown mode I'm hearing rumors (oh no) that some dealers are either not willing to deal or that there are waiting lists for the cars. Please limit comments to experiences within the past month.

Are the 2-3% over invoice prices still out there and where? Are the dealers in your local area still well stocked with cars? Did you have to wait on a list, and why? Where are the deals at?

To start, the dealers in the Raleigh area have little, or no, stock. Can't comment on pricing.
Old 07-31-2001, 08:56 AM
Instructor

here in the maryland/dc/virginia area. dealerships are still giving out deals. right now, we have been offered a tl-s with navi for 33,150 out the door.
Old 07-31-2001, 10:43 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Lightbulb re: deals

It seems to be very dealer and region specific. The northeast seems to have the worst deals, where as the West has the best. There's also less deals to be had when the amount of dealers in your area low, for example, the mid-west. If you only have 3 dealers in your area, you probably won't find great deals where as I put in my zip code, and there are 10 dealers in 20 miles. However, there are deals to be found everywhere, you just have to look around. There are people around here that are still selling at MSRP, but I got mine at around 3% over invoice. You just need to look and take your time.....
Old 07-31-2001, 10:49 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you go on acura.com and go through the pre-qual process you actually see dealer inventory. i called up a lease broker that was mentioned in one of the threads. he gave me numbers for a TLS that are in the 2% over invoice range. i walked into a dealer that acura.com pointed me to and gave them the deal from the broker which they said they would match. they also found that the car i wanted (acura.com inventory) was not in the lot yet but was scheduled for delivery. so i guess that yes, deals are out there, and best day is today because it's month end...
Old 07-31-2001, 11:31 AM
Racer

RE:Are the TL deals gone or getting better?

I've purchased a TL-Type S w/Navi for $31,999. However, they didn't have the color combination and they couldn't find another dealer with the color combination I requested. So it will now be a total of a 3 week wait. I went to the dealer last night, and there was only one TL and one TL-S on the floor, with neither having Navi. It appears the supply side is low and the demand side is high.
Old 07-31-2001, 12:25 PM
tea elle

I got mine for $31,000 with Navi, mud flaps and wheel locks.
Old 07-31-2001, 12:27 PM
Banned

Well in chicago i got a deal back in may of $31,500 and thats with navi... but now it seems as if the dealers arent going below that much. I sent 2 people to the dealership that i bought my car and they would not sell them the car. They only offered 500 under sticker. So who knows. I know other chicago dealers are barely moving from sticker also, if anyone knows where to get it lower than 500 under sticker around chicago let me know, cuz i have people who want to buy them.
Old 07-31-2001, 12:33 PM
Instructor

Re: RE:Are the TL deals gone or getting better?

Originally posted by nickchop
It appears the supply side is low and the demand side is high.
Again though it depends on region, the dealerships I visited in the DC area generally had 5-8 TL type S in the lots
Old 07-31-2001, 12:38 PM
tea elle

Personally I wouldn't be the least bit surprized if the "great deals" on TL-Ss start to dry up. The demand may be high, and there is so much talk about what a great value our car is at the sticker price. Dealers may become less willing to drop prices on a car that really has no competition. The only competition for Acura dealers is other Acura dealers.

Now, I don't sound too biased, do I???

But hey, I still say that the TL-S is in a class by itself. Or, can you still compare a 4 speed I30 with the Navi upgrade? (I don't know what that one costs because Infinity never really made my final cut).
Old 07-31-2001, 12:44 PM
Instructor

Got my TL-S on 7/4/01 and paid $29,600 non-navi. with locks and guards
Old 07-31-2001, 12:46 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sticker Shock

Dude,

I originally wanted a TL S-Type without a Nav system. One dealer offered me $30,100. I called other dealers in my area and NONE could match/beat that price. AND...the dealer who offered me that price said he was going to RAISE that price by a few hundred bucks in a week. UGH. So yeah...the TL S-Type is kinda hot in my area.

A funny note...the dealer who offered me that price said that if I wanted a CL S-Type, all I had to do was pay $200 over invoice. LOL. I guess the CLs aren't selling like people thought. Makes sense. Most of the dealers I've been too have a HUGE surplus of CL models.

BTW...I paid $32K with mudguards, wheel-locks, and trunk mat. The trunk mat is cool by the way. Not the lowest price compared to some of the prices I've seen posted here...but considering my area...I'm happy.
Old 07-31-2001, 01:10 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Well in chicago i got a deal back in may of $31,500 and thats with navi... but now it seems as if the dealers arent going below that much. I sent 2 people to the dealership that i bought my car and they would not sell them the car. They only offered 500 under sticker. So who knows. I know other chicago dealers are barely moving from sticker also, if anyone knows where to get it lower than 500 under sticker around chicago let me know, cuz i have people who want to buy them.

A friend of mine bought a 2002 WDP NAVI TLS a coouple of months ago was quoted sticker by several dealers in the Chicago area and paid close to that at Continental Acura.
Old 07-31-2001, 01:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
I'm telling you guys... Southern CA is the place to buy the car!! They are low out there.

As for the CLS', they're still selling well, the dealers are just trying to move them b/c the 2002 is due out in a few months.....
Old 07-31-2001, 10:51 PM
Type SSS

I just bought my car 2 1/2 weeks ago and I noticed that I could get a better deal on TL-S W/O Navi. Some dealers did not have any TL-S W/ Navi and some had only had few. The dealer quoted me that on TL-S W/O Navi, They could give it to me for $500 over invoice but on the one with Navi, they wanted $700 over invoice and thats is the beast deal I got after negotiating with them for 2 days. Many of the dealers I went to wanted at least $1200 over Invoice. I'm sure John at South Coast Acura would have given me a better deal but they did not have any TL-S W/Navi in stock. If you live in So Cal. Call John Hyun (I think that is how you spell his name) at South Coast Acura. He has the best deal.

By the way, I live in Orange County (So. Cal)
Old 07-31-2001, 11:41 PM
Advanced

SoCal prices

I've posted on this matter in the past, but about 6-8 weeks ago, you could get a TL-S w Navi for 30,700 includes destination, wheel locks and splash guards.

Recently, dealer inventory on the TL-S w Navi has been low. Much more willing to move on CL, CL-S, TLs w or w/o Navi, and TL-S w/o Navi.

Keyes was reneged on 30,800 when I called to schedule a time for pick up. But when I/priceline talked to a dealer 2 hours away, he would do the deal at 30,880 but had to be factory ordered. FWIW, dealer said that Accord/TL/TL-S were coming off the same line and the relative "shortage" on the TL-S w Navi was due to higher than expected demand and the current cycle was Accords.

Anyway, the best I heard locally actually getting done was at Keyes, not South Coast, at 31,000 for repeat buyers and 31,200 for new customers.

Too much news about the value of the car impacting the supply/demand equation.

Good luck.
Old 08-01-2001, 12:16 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i heard that the base TL is harder to get than the TLS...
Old 08-01-2001, 12:38 PM
Instructor

I just bought my TL-S w/navi on July 7 in the Boston, MA area for $32,000 with mud guards and wheel locks included. I faxed the dealership with a price and they took it. They happened to have the color I wanted (ABP) already on order, so I only had to wait three weeks.

When I picked up the car Monday night, they told me that they didn't have any more TL-S+Navs on the lot. They sell out before they even make it to the dealership.

-Paul
Old 08-04-2001, 08:00 PM
Pro

I feel like a broken record... there is no such thing as a "car that is hard to get", this is a standard dealer line to make you buy a car on the spot. Any decent dealer can find you any car you want at the price you want to pay if you press them and they get off their asses and stop trying to sell you what's on their lot.

This being said, August-October is a great time to press dealers for good deals at around 3% over invoice, since they want to clear the lots of next years models.

Always work from invoice price up, never from a dealer's offer down. Shoot for 3-4% over invoice, never any more - and 99% of the time you will get the car at that price.
Old 08-04-2001, 08:32 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally posted by Xorg
I feel like a broken record... there is no such thing as a "car that is hard to get", this is a standard dealer line to make you buy a car on the spot. Any decent dealer can find you any car you want at the price you want to pay if you press them and they get off their asses and stop trying to sell you what's on their lot.

This being said, August-October is a great time to press dealers for good deals at around 3% over invoice, since they want to clear the lots of next years models.

Always work from invoice price up, never from a dealer's offer down. Shoot for 3-4% over invoice, never any more - and 99% of the time you will get the car at that price.
I doubt this logic will work for the 2002 TL and TL-s as these models were available in March 2001, and will run likely until next Sept/Oct 2002, before the 2003s are released.
Old 08-05-2001, 12:54 PM
Racer

TL-S Prices

Back on April 21, I paid 31,200 for a TL-S with nav including dest. wheel lock, mud flaps, and a trunk tray......not a bad price since it just arrived about a month ago.

BTW- you should be able to get a tl-s for under 31,000 with dest. ect. Who knows in a couple of months its possible for a few hundred over invoice....depending on demand!
Old 08-05-2001, 02:15 PM
Racer

Originally posted by Xorg

I'm telling you I am the cheapest, most frugal person in the world. I contacted many southeastern dealerships and these cars are hard to get. This is especially true if you want Navi. Acura states that only 8% of their cars have Navi. I got mine for $31,999. I worked the dealerships hard. I would imagine I purchased for much more than you would have, but you cannot find these cars on the lots. We have two dealerships in town and only one of the dealers even had one TL-S. Now if you want a CL, there are plenty. Should be getting mine on Tues or Wed (week early), can't wait!
Old 08-06-2001, 07:52 AM
Pro

If a dealer gets off his ass, he can get you any car you want at the price you want to pay. This is a common dealer trick, and the number of cars they have on the lot means nothing. You'll note that as soon as you pick up your "rare" car, a truck pulls up to the dealership dropping off five more of the same car :-)

Acura is making around 100,000's of TLS' and they estimate that 20-30% of all TL buyers will opt for the Type S - this is not a rare car by any stretch of the imagination.

The reaction you got isn't surprisingly, dealers are motivated to move cars they have in stock - but any dealer who wants to can tap into a network and find any car if you're willing to wait and the dealer puts some effort into it.

BTW, I find it amusing that you say only 8% of the cars will come with Nav, because up here I had a hard time finding one without the Nav system (and I got the car I wanted within a week anyway.) :-)
Old 08-06-2001, 12:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Acura produces about 70K TL's and TL-S's per year. About 25% are equipped with Navi. Honda builds them in batches of the same color, which explains the occasional color shortages. Scarcity does affect price so a particular color that all the dealers in a specific region are low on is not a good candidate for a dealer trade. And yes, sometimes a manufacturer can only build so many of a particular car in spite of demand. Acura can only build 40K MDX's per year and demand is running over twice that. Sure, you can get an MDX without waiting. Be prepared to spend $2-4K over MSRP. No one has bought an MDX for under MSRP yet and it's been out almost a year. The waiting list at MSRP is anywhere from 3-7 months depending on where you live. So sure a dealer can get you any car you want, just don't expect it at a discount. Especially in a free market system where demand determines price.
Old 08-06-2001, 02:21 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Sure, you can get an MDX without waiting. Be prepared to spend $2-4K over MSRP. No one has bought an MDX for under MSRP yet and it's been out almost a year. The waiting list at MSRP is anywhere from 3-7 months depending on where you live. So sure a dealer can get you any car you want, just don't expect it at a discount. Especially in a free market system where demand determines price.

My brother bought a MDX in May. The waiting list for the color and options he wanted was 2-5 months in the Chicago area. He ended up calling Lindsay Acura in Columbus Ohio (where he bought his previous Vigor and Legend before moving back here) and they had the exact car (er.. uh... I mean SUV) he was looking for. It ended up costing him MSRP, plus a $100 one way plane ticket there.

Now with that kind of demand, why would a dealer discount the MSRP?