Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2004, 03:09 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire recomendations?

I've got 35k on my 2001 TL and am dying to get rid of the OEM
Michelins. This is the second set of MXV4's that I have been
dissapointed in. The first set was a replacement set for a 94 Camy
that developed slow leaks over 35k miles (3 out of 4 tires!).

I replaced those with Yokahamas which I've had for about 10K miles
and am pretty pleased with the ride and handling.

I'm planning to plus size the TL's tires as I believe the stock OEM's
are just way too narrow for the TL's sporty suspension handling.
Anyone have problems with plus sizing on the stock rims?

What are people out there doing for replacements? Mind you I am not
street racing the thing so I am really interested in that magical compromise
between handling, quietness, and supple ride. The OEM Michelins have
become quite harsh.

Thanks,

/Steve
Old 04-14-2004, 03:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

Falken Ziex 512. The best bang for the buck tire with outstanding handling performances at a very reasonable price. Rated #1 by Consumer Reports several months ago (go look it up). You can get better tires (like S-03 etc) than the Falken, but expect to pay way more $. Just my 2 cents.
Old 04-14-2004, 03:42 PM
TL-S driver

Falkens are nice but I think the threads don't last as long as the Sumitomo HTR+. As I posted numberous times before, Sumitomo HTR+ and Continential Xtreme Contacts are the most popular on this site and seem to have the best ratings with traction, performance and thread wear. I have the Conti's on my car for the winter and I LOVE them. My friend has the Sumi's on his BMW and he swears that they are the best around. But in my opinion, I think the Conti's are great.
Old 04-14-2004, 04:06 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bought Bridgestones Turanza LS-V after I read reviews on Tirerack (a lot from Acura owners) and have no regrets.
Old 04-14-2004, 04:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by goldendragon576
Falkens are nice but I think the threads don't last as long as the Sumitomo HTR+.
True, but here's the reason for getting them:

1) The Falken tires are cheap to replace...you can get new ones (or upgrade to better tires if you got money to spend).

2) Tire technology continues to improve (at least that's how I see it). Why be stuck with a Sumi tire that's really good now, but only considered above average couple of years down the road? There will always be better tires with improved technology, etc, etc down the road that you can get (and you not be stuck with a tire that you are waiting for the thread life to die before changing tires). Good case in point is the Dunlop performance tire - rated #1 by Consumer Reports several years back, but falls dramatically in the performance category when compared to the newer tires coming out in the market.

3) The thread pattern of the Falken Ziex 512 is similar to the S-03 (look and compare). You can argue the fact that no Falken Ziex tire can match the all performance of the S-03 (and I would completely agree with you). But the fact that you can get a Falken tire designed to have similar performance characteristics (note: I did not say the same or equal performance) of the S-03 can't be all that bad, especially for the price.
Old 04-14-2004, 04:56 PM
Instructor

Most members of this board favor either the Sumitomos HTR+ or the Continental Xtreme Contacts. I replaced my crap OEM Michelins with the Sumitomos. They were available locally, unlike the Continentals. That's important when you live where I live.
Old 04-14-2004, 04:59 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Toyo Proxes T1-S if you gots some money to spend..but if ya' don't..the best bang for you buck would be either the Sumitomos+ or ContiExtreme Contacts.
Old 04-14-2004, 05:20 PM
Purchased: April 28, 2001

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My choices were between the Sumitomos HTR+ or the Continental Xtreme Contacts as well. What made me get the Sumitomo's is that unlike the Continentals, you can cross rotate them to make them last longer, plus it has one of the best rim protectors I've seen (very important for parallel parking in close quarters). The funny part is that the Continentals have a slightly higher tread wear rating to begin with...so maybe in the end they may last just about the same.

My next tire will be the Continentals so I can test them out. The only thing I don't like is that the sidewalls look like :yack:
Old 04-14-2004, 05:21 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by edgalang
My choices were between the Sumitomos HTR+ or the Continental Xtreme Contacts as well. What made me get the Sumitomo's is that unlike the Continentals, you can cross rotate them to make them last longer, plus it has one of the best rim protectors I've seen (very important for parallel parking in close quarters). The funny part is that the Continentals have a slightly higher tread wear rating to begin with...so maybe in the end they may last just about the same.

My next tire will be the Continentals so I can test them out. The only thing I don't like is that the sidewalls look like :yack:
At least it looks a lot better than the Kumho Ecsta's..
Old 04-14-2004, 05:28 PM
Purchased: April 28, 2001

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by `ill*tl
At least it looks a lot better than the Kumho Ecsta's..

I'm not familiar with the sidewall on that one. Any pics?
Old 04-14-2004, 07:29 PM
Happy with my STi!

Originally Posted by `ill*tl
Toyo Proxes T1-S if you gots some money to spend..but if ya' don't..the best bang for you buck would be either the Sumitomos+ or ContiExtreme Contacts.
Are the TOYO TIRES available with the same dimensions as the OEM Michelins and what is their thread wear #?
Old 04-14-2004, 10:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by vinovelo
I've got 35k on my 2001 TL and am dying to get rid of the OEM
I'm planning to plus size the TL's tires as I believe the stock OEM's
are just way too narrow for the TL's sporty suspension handling.
Anyone have problems with plus sizing on the stock rims?
ya I've had probs with + sizing. not on a TL-P but an accord (Compairable I believe) I think if you go wider than stock you will get a bit less responce especially on the freeway due to the rim floating between the sidewalls. It bothered me, but I will say that because of the bigger footprint I had less wheelspin at take off(stick) and more confidence at panic stops.

BTW that's the first time I've heard someone descibe a TL-Ps stock suspension as "sporty"
Old 04-15-2004, 09:46 AM
RES
Intermediate

I just bought the Continental Extreme Contacts for $109 installed each because my tire guy does not stock the HTR's. They by far have exceeded my expectations in dry and wet conditions. I would definately recommend them!
Old 04-15-2004, 11:38 AM
Banned

What's the widest tire I can fit on my stock 2003 TLS ? will 235's fit? any help would be appreciated.
Old 04-16-2004, 02:53 PM
Instructor

Very interesting YIELD2S. How much did you plus size where you noticed this problem?

I plus sized tires on a 94 Camry from 195's to 225's with good sucess but I understand the problem you are talking about. I also would think sidewall differences (stiffnes, etc) might have a bearing on this. What kind of tires were these?

Thanks,

/Steve