Tinting Input

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2001, 11:11 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tinting Input

I know this topic has been covered before, and I've done a search to compile some information, but I was just looking for some quick feedback regarding getting your windows tinted. Specifically:

-What tint percentages did you use for front/back?

-How did you deal with the antenna and dot-matrix print on the rear window?

-Did you use non-metallic on the back for NAV users?

-Have you experienced any problems with the NAV or radio since then?

-Any other advice, words of caution, etc. would be appreciated.

I would also be especially interested in hearing from CA drivers, as our tint laws are a little more strict. And also NAV users, and even SSM owners.

Thanks!!
Old 08-24-2001, 11:16 AM
Pro

The tint law is kind of confusing in California, according to the CHP. The front window's tint needs to be 70%, which is very light color. I had a friend who is a cop. He said he didn't usually pull over people because of the tint. Unless, the driver had other violations. But by the book, he can pull you over and give you a ticket for front tint. It just up to the cop to do it or not.

I got the 20% on the back and 30% on the front.

I got the titanium tint on my car.

My installer need to do an acid wash to the dot matrix area, otherwise the tint will not stay.

Some owner said the tint had effect on the nav., but I put it on my I30t and it still works fine.
Old 08-24-2001, 11:34 AM
Intermediate

I have an Accord V6 so I don't have a nice option like Nav system but I do have dot matrix in the rear windshield! My car is tinted 35% front and 13% rear (titanium) and I know it's illegal to have more than 70% (California laws) in the front so I roll down my windows when I see cops! Yes cops could pull you over for just the tint but hardly any cops do it! I don't know what they did but the tint on my dot matrix (very little comparing to the TL or Accord V6 coupe) is kind of sticking but not peeling! I have to wait longer to see if it would stay or not (only 2 weeks old tint)!
Old 08-24-2001, 11:49 AM
f-a-b-o-l-o-u-s

I say go with legal tinting.. why risk unecessary run-ins with "Tha Law"?

If you have nav, its probably a good idea to go with non-metallic tint.
Old 08-24-2001, 12:39 PM
Purchased: April 28, 2001

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Tinting Input

Originally posted by thebeaud
I know this topic has been covered before, and I've done a search to compile some information, but I was just looking for some quick feedback regarding getting your windows tinted. Specifically:

-What tint percentages did you use for front/back?

-How did you deal with the antenna and dot-matrix print on the rear window?

-Did you use non-metallic on the back for NAV users?

-Have you experienced any problems with the NAV or radio since then?

-Any other advice, words of caution, etc. would be appreciated.

I would also be especially interested in hearing from CA drivers, as our tint laws are a little more strict. And also NAV users, and even SSM owners.

Thanks!!
-55% fronts, 35% rear 3

-Let the tint shop use their best judgment, since they've done TL's before and know what they are doing in regards to sticking/peeling effects on the dot matrix area.

-Used a mettatic tint in the back. The tint shop agreed to fix whatever is necesary if the NAV failed to work.

-Sometimes the NAV turns "dumb". But I cant honestly say if it was the tints fault. Radio still works fine, but still doesnt sound as crisp as an authentic CD.

-You might experience some "ghosting" effect over the defroster lines once you have the tint in place. It will eventually go away once you let it dry up (loooong time).
Old 08-24-2001, 12:41 PM
Sticky Rice OwnZ joO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have 35% all around.. I think a nice even tint looks classy.. not too dark either.. just enough to do it's function..

Keep the car cooler
A bit more privacy inside

If I could do it again.. I'd probably get 20% on the rears and 35% on the fonts.. this would probably keep the car a tad cooloer..

My place used a heat gun to apply the tint, it looks really good. The dot-matix area is a bit bubbly, but you can't tell unless you are like 3 feet away from it..
Old 08-24-2001, 10:54 PM
Racer

Thanks guys - appreciate the input. The only thing my tinter said is that the non-metallic tint is the one that will turn to purple in about 5 years if left outside most of the time.

Regarding the legal aspect, I'm pretty sure it's only a fix-it ticket. But it would be a hassle, nonetheless.

If anybody else want's to weigh in, I'd appreciate it... Sounds fairly consistent on the percentages though.

Thanks!
Old 08-24-2001, 11:40 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks guys - appreciate the input. The only thing my tinter said is that the non-metallic tint is the one that will turn to purple in about 5 years if left outside most of the time.
My previous car had a non-metallic tint for seven years and it never turned purple. You just need to make sure that you don't use ammonia based products to clean the windows.

As for the NAVI antenna, they'll cut around it.

My car was tinted a month and a half ago. Guaranteed for as long as I own the car. They tinted over the dot matrix. I immediately noticed that it didn't seem to be uniform over that area. Kind of blotchy. Took it back and they told me that it will become uniform, it will just take a long time. I doubted them, but I figured I'd wait it out. Sure enough, the blotchiness is gradually disappearing. It isn't gone yet, but it is much better than it was.

Make sure you park your car in the hot sun for a few days after you get it back, it will speed up the process. I ended up picking it up and it sat in my garage for several days, and I've been told is why its taking a while longer.

I've had absolutely no problems with my NAVI. I rarely get the yellow bars.
Old 08-25-2001, 02:38 AM
f-a-b-o-l-o-u-s

Originally posted by goaub
My previous car had a non-metallic tint for seven years and it never turned purple. You just need to make sure that you don't use ammonia based products to clean the windows.
My tinter told me the same thing. Can anyone recommend a good non-ammonia based window cleaner?
Old 08-25-2001, 03:30 AM

Sure. Eagle-One 20-20. I bought mine from Classic Car Motoring or something like that. All their parts are tested and are pretty good in quality.
Old 08-26-2001, 05:00 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think the brand of tint is important and one of the very best brands is Llumar. I had titanium on a Z-28 Comaro and in the 6 yrs and 114K miles, never had a bubble or any peeling;however, it almost killed my AM radio reception and I am sure it will affect your Nav. system, but probably not as much because of the much higher frequency. I have a new Tl-type S. it is hotter than heck in Texas and I do not plan on tinting this car. It is WDP with Navi. My car and navi work great, and AM radio reception is above average and I'm not going to Jack with it.
Old 08-30-2001, 09:39 PM
Pro

Wink

Here's my dimes worth - tinting is a waste of money
Old 08-30-2001, 10:17 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by lonny
Wow, care to elaborate on that profound insight oh great one?
Old 08-31-2001, 01:01 AM
Racer

Yeah, have to admit I'd be interested in hearing your logic too "lonny". Aside from simply the aesthetics, the temperature reductions and interior longevity improvements are worth it alone, to me at least....
Old 08-31-2001, 02:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by lonny
Is that so? Then I guess the Comptech sways that you have on your car are a waste of money too--unless you plan on taking your car to a track, how hard do you think you'll push your car handling-wise that you feel the stock sways can't adequately do the job?

Just kidding, of course--just had to reply to your tint comment. IMHO tinting has a more immediate return on your investment (paying to have your car tinted) than aftermarket sways will ever have as far as your car is concerned. So, are you implying that money is better spent on sways than on tint? Of course it's all a matter of personal choice but IMHO I would rather get my car tinted before getting sways.

All in fun,

Tony
Old 08-31-2001, 04:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
I have a metallic tint 35% all around on my car, no probs with the navi at all. For the Dot Matrix area in the back, they just didnt tint that area. No bubbles, no mess.
Old 08-31-2001, 09:47 PM
Racer

I've got a local guy to do it "illegal" 20% all around. He swears it will not impact Navi/radio. Will cost $160 cash with no receipt.
Old 08-31-2001, 09:51 PM

160?! for all 5 windows? thats cheap! just make sure you dont get the kinds that turn purple in 2 years. lol
Old 08-31-2001, 09:56 PM
Racer

Originally posted by edgalang
160?! for all 5 windows? thats cheap! just make sure you dont get the kinds that turn purple in 2 years. lol
Jacksonville cost of living is a lot less than the bay area! It is quality, I used them on my Infiniti and it is 3m brand metallic type tint.
Old 09-01-2001, 01:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

Question for all you tint guys,
Can you use your defroster without bubbling the tint? I had dark tint on the rear of my mustang and when I used the rear defroster it created small bubbles along all of the defroster lines.
Old 09-01-2001, 11:23 PM
Pro

Cool

Clarification - tinting is a waste of MY money! I have no need nor desire for, tinting beyond that which is already there. I live in the cool climes of So Cal, NOT Arizona, Texas or Nevada. So, for ME, tinting is a total waste of money. To reach the level of "protection" you think you are getting, the tinting has to be darker than is safe. My eyesight is already pretty pathetic and I don't need to do anything to make it even harder for me to see out of my car. Flame away if you must - my skin is thick as boiler plate!
Old 09-01-2001, 11:51 PM
Racer

Nah, I'm not interested in flaming - you're certainly entitled to your opinion. I don't have any of the information in front of me, but I can assure you that ANY tint reduces the sunlight into your vehichle, ensuring a longer life on the "color" of our interior and also reducing internal temperatures. Now, I'll admit I'm a little bias, because my friend owns a tinting business. But I've seen the research - not just the sales ploy. So we do get protection, even with a minimal tint. And, if done in moderation (IMO), I think it adds to the "classy" look of the car. Take a look at the car commercials you see on TV - ALL vehicles are tinted, albeit excessive, because it enhances the overall look.

I live in Northern Cal - and I agree that we don't share the climate of some of the folks in AZ & TX. But I've noticed a difference already with the tinting and the sunshade when I get into my car at lunch. I live in the central valley up here, where we often have temperatures in the 90's and 100's.

And yes, I share your thought about the ability to see. The tint, although light, slightly hampers my ability to see cop cars in the rear at night. But then again, even without the tint, the adjusting rearview mirror does the same!

Regardless - thanks for the reply. I was interested to hear your reasons and I completely respect them.
Old 09-02-2001, 12:33 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by thebeaud
Take a look at the car commercials you see on TV - ALL vehicles are tinted, albeit excessive, because it enhances the overall look.
I've always thought that cars in commercials have tints so that you can't see the driver's face, so you pay more attention to the car itself.
Old 09-02-2001, 01:00 AM
Racer

Originally posted by daverman

I've always thought that cars in commercials have tints so that you can't see the driver's face, so you pay more attention to the car itself.
I would agree with you when they show the car in motion - but often at the end, with the car by itself, the tint is still there.

I wouldn't say for sure, but I'm fairly certain even at the end of the TL-S commercial when it's sitting on the pier in Maine - the tint is fairly obvious.