Tint Regulationz for Cali.

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2003, 09:21 AM
El Presidente

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tint Regulationz for Cali.

does anyone know what the legal tint limit is for the driver'z and passenger'z window in california?
Old 11-18-2003, 09:23 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, you can't have any tint in the front windows. It is ONLY allowed if the car maker tinted the windows for you - the glass has the tint "built-in" to it. No car maker does this so that's that...
Old 11-18-2003, 09:27 AM
l33t

wow, screw that... what a ****ty law. id do it anyway.
Old 11-18-2003, 09:50 AM
10th Gear

hey Darkshear

i see u got a 99 tl. how many miles and trannys have ya been thru if you dont mind me askin..

thanks
Old 11-18-2003, 09:54 AM
Drifting

you can probably get away with light if you don't go too dark on the rear (which might draw attention). medium might be risky.

this says you can go with film rated for 70% light transmittance (dated 99),
http://www.iwfa.com/iwfa/Law_Chart/S...aw%20Chart.htm

no tint whatsoever dated 85,
http://www.solarfilmco.com/laws.html

you should stop by a couple of shops and ask.
Old 11-18-2003, 10:17 AM
10th Gear

you can get away with some tinting on the driver & pass windows... just go to a tint shop and ask to get the darkest legal tint... they would know. i got my mr2 tinted like that b4 and no pigs said anything...
Old 11-18-2003, 11:46 AM
Safety Car

it's a tough call, i know the local police in the city don't care, but some chp will pull you over for tint if they don't have much to do. the truth is, if you get pulled over for something like running a red or whatever and they noticed your tint, they will give you another citation on top of that.
Old 11-18-2003, 01:25 PM
Racer

Don't provide mis-leading information.

Any REPUTABLE tint shop will tell you to NOT put tint on the front windows. If you ask them to do it, they should be asking you to sign a disclaimer/acknowledgement of California law.

Yeah it states 70% but do you know how light that is? Why bother with the cost... it is practically clear. I don't even know if tint shops offer 70% tint because it is so clear.
Old 11-18-2003, 10:05 PM
Instructor

So i checked the vehicle code on line in cali then i called my local CHP office. The cop said there is no suck thing as 70% on the front windows/windshield in california. The law says material maybe NOT be applied the reduces the transmission of light. That means if you put anything but clear tint (to reduce the UV rays) then you are illegal. However, put whatever on the back ones. That being said, you must have two outside rear-view mirrors on the car if you tint the back windows (not a prob on TL's). He also said that no Opaque ( meaning solid letters like "Acura") letters can be on the front windshield. So no more big stickers on the front windshield. He also asked me what kind of car i had and then cautioned me that Non-Air Resource Board (C.A.R.B.) approved air intakes and headers is about a $350.00 fine. OUCH! He said their is a big push in the Los Angeles area to give tickets to cars with these illegal parts. this is because of all the street racing deaths in L.A. So those of us in L.A. becareful cause the fuzz down here is hunting us.
Old 11-18-2003, 11:14 PM
Racer

Originally posted by cofidis2
The cop said there is no suck thing as 70% on the front windows/windshield in california. The law says material maybe NOT be applied the reduces the transmission of light.
Really, he "sucks"???

Well, the 70% is "okay" in that it is SO clear it you can probably argue it's being used to reduce UV light coming into the car...

As I stated above, I don't even believe tint shops offer 70% tint.

But to be on the safe side, you should not put ANY tint on the front windows of the car. Period.
Old 11-19-2003, 12:14 AM
l33t

Originally posted by constan1
hey Darkshear

i see u got a 99 tl. how many miles and trannys have ya been thru if you dont mind me askin..

thanks

just turned 78,000 miles. Still on tranny #1. I drive my car so hard i cant believe it still runs. about 10,000 miles ago the tranny got a little rough, but after the tranny flush (not change, the flush is $130 and is 12 qt of fluid) she runs better than she did when i got her.

Originally posted by cofidis2
So i checked the vehicle code on line in cali then i called my local CHP office. The cop said there is no suck thing as 70% on the front windows/windshield in california. The law says material maybe NOT be applied the reduces the transmission of light. That means if you put anything but clear tint (to reduce the UV rays) then you are illegal. However, put whatever on the back ones. That being said, you must have two outside rear-view mirrors on the car if you tint the back windows (not a prob on TL's). He also said that no Opaque ( meaning solid letters like "Acura") letters can be on the front windshield. So no more big stickers on the front windshield. He also asked me what kind of car i had and then cautioned me that Non-Air Resource Board (C.A.R.B.) approved air intakes and headers is about a $350.00 fine. OUCH! He said their is a big push in the Los Angeles area to give tickets to cars with these illegal parts. this is because of all the street racing deaths in L.A. So those of us in L.A. becareful cause the fuzz down here is hunting us.
seriously, phuck that. im so glad i dont live in cali any more if only because of that. ill be god damned if im going to let a state be that strick about what i do to MY car. Tint, i can understand. I have 3% tint, and in a year ive been fined once for it but it was worth it, and still is. if i lived in cali id still have the tint, and id have no front plate, and id have headers, and id have front decals. i would be spending madd $$$ on fines at that point, so again, im happy i no longer live in cali.

im sorry you guys have to deal with that crap, i really am. but like i said, ill be damned if i sit and let a cop piss on me for headers without being a prick right back to him. not that traffic cops have sufficent brain matter to tell the difference between stock headers and aftermarket.

Wow, that really pisses me off and i dont even live there.....
Old 11-19-2003, 12:18 AM
El Presidente

eh oh well, ill think about what tint to get lata, but ive already got the rear windows done pretty dark, which i am happy with, sure does aid drivin at night, but thanks guys for all your opinions, i gotta take some picz, so that i can get more feedback thanks again

dark dj
Old 11-19-2003, 03:07 AM
Racer

Sorry, I don't know the percents for my car, but Im in cali and have the darkest tint possible (limo? dont know %...) on the back windows and rear windshield, and 1 shade below the darkest on the front windows. Its pretty hard to see in the car, especially at night, but I haven't been rolled once for it (in over a year of having it). I do a lot of driving too, I think it just depends on where you drive. I've heard the cops are pretty bad about it near places like venice, but around here there's tons of acuras/bmws/lexus with tint so you never get rolled. If you notice a lot of cars with it in your area I'd say go for it.