throttle lag

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 05:30 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
throttle lag

I have a 99tl with 125000 miles. Recently (after some somewhat hard driving) I noticed that when I am idling and quickly jab the gas pedal (1500 rpmish) I can physically hear the throttle opening, but the engine doesn't rev until a split second later. This never used to happen before. Any ideas?
Old 10-09-2008, 06:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Wow........ Registered in Nov of 07 and you are the first since 99 to use the J32A1 for a name

Ok im done. Welcome to the forum. So what your saying is you give it gas but it doesnt accelerate right away? Any other noises like a stuttering motor? When was the last time the plugs were change? Last time a fuel treatment was used? Do you notice any laging in shifting from park to reverse or drive?
Old 10-09-2008, 06:40 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Wow........ Registered in Nov of 07 and you are the first since 99 to use the J32A1 for a name

Ok im done. Welcome to the forum. So what your saying is you give it gas but it doesnt accelerate right away? Any other noises like a stuttering motor? When was the last time the plugs were change? Last time a fuel treatment was used? Do you notice any laging in shifting from park to reverse or drive?
thanks.
This only happens when I am idling in neutral or park. I'll hit the throttle hard, hear the throttle open, but the engine will hesitate before revving. Honestly it sounds rougher than ever. I have the usual valve ticking, but the engine isn't as smooth when revving at idle.

I noticed this after a half hour spirited drive through a few back roads, which I do quite often, but never with this result.
Plugs were changed 25k miles ago (two yrs), and last fuel treatment(gumout fuel injector cleaner) was about 5 tanks ago (~2 months).

No tranny problems yet (knock on wood). Shifts fine after warmed up (5-6 mins each morning)
Old 10-09-2008, 07:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Ever replace your motor mounts?
Old 10-09-2008, 08:40 PM
10th Gear

Ever replace your motor mounts?
No. Is it time?
I just hope that the repair isn't going to be expensive. For example, I recently got quoted around 500 to replace my air mix motor which has been clicking intermittently.
Would a valve adj solve this problem?
Also, I thought my fuel filter might be dirty. Any way to replace it?
Old 10-10-2008, 08:16 AM
Senior Moderator

it may be your motor mounts. When cold does it go into gear harder?

Unless your valves are noisy NO. There is no fuel filter to replace.
Old 10-10-2008, 08:35 AM
10th Gear

it may be your motor mounts. When cold does it go into gear harder?

Unless your valves are noisy NO. There is no fuel filter to replace.
when cold, it lags slightly when shifting. Also, it sometimes will bang onto second if I lift off the throttle in auto mode to force a shift from first to second.
But how can a delay btwn the throttle opening and the engine revving be caused by bad motor mounts? I always thought motor mounts would just negatively affect NVH.
Also, are you saying no to doing a valve adjustment? They're pretty noisy IMO. Dealer is charging 225 for that, but I'll probably do it myself in the near future.
Old 10-10-2008, 12:15 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
if valves are noisy- adjust- its an all day job- sometimes 2 days for the first timer
gumout is ok but you should get seafoam and do the intake manifold and gas tank methods
What brand of spark plugs? NGK?

why are you revving it in park or N anyway
Its supposed to shift later and harder when cold- helps warm engine

Spray clean the inside of the throttle body to remove crud and clean and lube throttle assembly springs there too

Are you high revving in 1st when cold and then it wont shift to 2nd? try being gentle and see if it works then- there is a special cold program in the computer!!

Some early years have vacuum assisted motor mounts! if they go bad- they cause a mystery vac leak and miss
Old 10-10-2008, 04:24 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
if valves are noisy- adjust- its an all day job- sometimes 2 days for the first timer
gumout is ok but you should get seafoam and do the intake manifold and gas tank methods
What brand of spark plugs? NGK?

why are you revving it in park or N anyway
Its supposed to shift later and harder when cold- helps warm engine

Spray clean the inside of the throttle body to remove crud and clean and lube throttle assembly springs there too

Are you high revving in 1st when cold and then it wont shift to 2nd? try being gentle and see if it works then- there is a special cold program in the computer!!

Some early years have vacuum assisted motor mounts! if they go bad- they cause a mystery vac leak and miss
I adjusted the throttle slightly and reset the ECU and it made a difference in response. I think the cable loosened a bit after a while.

With regard to the valves: I only hear them tapping/ticking after a hard run (usually only occurs if I engage VTEC a few times). For regular driving (<3800 rpm), I don't hear the valves. Is this normal, or is it time for a valve adjustment?

I'll try to seafoam next oil change, as I have heard it works wonders on older engines.

I have already cleaned the throttle assembly with some spray-on carb cleaner. However, I have noticed that my throttle assembly springs have quite a bit of dirt and grime embedded in them. How should I go about cleaning and lubricating the spring?
Thanks for the help
Old 10-10-2008, 05:03 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
you can do the gas tank and intake manifold cleaning with seafoam at any time-
oil change not required
If you put it in the engine oil- oil change is required!

Spray carb cleaner is fine inside the TB throat- shoot some in while its running too

For the throttle springs- the gunk buildup could be your main problem-
spray carb cleaner works to get them clean- the use Deep Creep/ Seafoam in aerosol can form (best for doing intake manifold with it too)
It is oils and will make a nice lube on those springs
I use it on the car door hinges!
Or use silcone spray or white lithium grease- something thats going to cling, and stay on, is what you are looking for
You can remove the throttle cable and hold it vertical- spray lube into the housing- working the cable so lube covers inside- makes for better reaction of cable to pedal input of foot.
Reattach throttle cable - a slight pressure of finger should take up the cable slack- a little more finger pressure moves the throttle mechanism
Make sure you are getting full throttle when the pedal is at floor

Seafoam/Deep Creep really is tune up in a can- removes carbon which is restricting flow and improves combustion
Old 10-10-2008, 05:18 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by J32A1
when cold, it lags slightly when shifting. Also, it sometimes will bang onto second if I lift off the throttle in auto mode to force a shift from first to second.
But how can a delay btwn the throttle opening and the engine revving be caused by bad motor mounts? I always thought motor mounts would just negatively affect NVH.
Also, are you saying no to doing a valve adjustment? They're pretty noisy IMO. Dealer is charging 225 for that, but I'll probably do it myself in the near future.
Motor mounts quell the vibrations and the amount the motor moves. Many have had issues like yours that were resolved by motor mounts. The average lifespan of our mounts is about 50k. If you floor it and there is a delay the motor may be excessively moving not allowing the power to be put down.

I was saying NO to the valves being the cause of your problem unless they were really noisy. Even then i dont see them causing a lag.
Old 10-10-2008, 08:15 PM
10th Gear

01tl4tl: I'll work on lubing the throttle assembly tomorrow.
Fsttyms1: How much are new motor mounts going to run me? (parts plus install)
Do you have any links to aftermarket if they are cheaper than OE?
Old 10-11-2008, 07:48 AM
Senior Moderator

There are really no aftermarket (ones that are cheaper)

Use this link. Usually its just the front and side that need replacing.
http://www.acuraautomotiveparts.org/...catdisplay.jsp

Install them yourself. Its not that hard.
Old 10-11-2008, 09:59 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I am having the same kind of issue with my GF's TL. I usually notice the issue with her car when it has been parked and I start the car and drive. I hit the pedal and the car does not respond at all. I have to hit it a few times and then it eventually start to move very slowly, herky jerky. The next issue I noticed is when I try to accelerate the response is very slow no where compared to my TL. I believe I need to change the spark plugs, and also do some of the items 01tl4tl spoke about cleaning the throttle area. I also got code about cleaning out the throttle body.

Last edited by elproducto; 10-11-2008 at 10:03 PM.
Old 10-12-2008, 08:11 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by elproducto
I am having the same kind of issue with my GF's TL. I usually notice the issue with her car when it has been parked and I start the car and drive. I hit the pedal and the car does not respond at all. I have to hit it a few times and then it eventually start to move very slowly, herky jerky. The next issue I noticed is when I try to accelerate the response is very slow no where compared to my TL. I believe I need to change the spark plugs, and also do some of the items 01tl4tl spoke about cleaning the throttle area. I also got code about cleaning out the throttle body.
Year/mileage of the gf's tl?
Old 10-12-2008, 12:41 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
1999 TL Around 167K